Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 08:52 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times

Advertisements

When I first moved to St. Louis, someone told me "if you don't like the weather, wait two minutes, it'll change!"

It's so true though. If the weather is 'horrible' it's usually not for long. Actually I never recall the weather being 'horrible' by my standards.

Hot and Cold are different things to different people. Although I'll agree that dry heat is more tolerable, I don't like the way dry heat makes my skin feel- and it makes my hair go too flat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 10:01 PM

28 posts, read 101,115 times
I know that the heat will be the biggest change for me, but I'll get used to it. However, for me, the humidity will make my hair super frizz. Lol! People of St Louis, don't be scared of the newcomer with frizzy hair!!

Old 06-15-2012, 03:18 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
tofuluvr: Don't worry the humidity makes mine go frizzy too (what's worse? Flat or Frizzy? Both are pretty bad in my opinion!) But anyhow- the right shampoo in Summer usually seems to help, there's a lot of decent anti-frizz formulas out there (I use Tre Semme something or other- it's not tested on animals) so at least that's a low maintenance savior!

Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 AM

758 posts, read 1,640,214 times
I don't mind the winter, but I HATE the summer. And IMO, St. Louis summers last from about early/mid May (sometimes even starting in April) through the end of September. October is usually nice, then November starts the winter. The winter usually lasts until about the beginning of March, and March and April are often two nice spring months.

This past run of seasons has been unusual, but we're starting to get back up into the horrible 90s.

Old 06-15-2012, 09:36 AM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post
I don't mind the winter, but I HATE the summer. And IMO, St. Louis summers last from about early/mid May (sometimes even starting in April) through the end of September. October is usually nice, then November starts the winter. The winter usually lasts until about the beginning of March, and March and April are often two nice spring months.

This past run of seasons has been unusual, but we're starting to get back up into the horrible 90s.
I would respectfully suggest that although September in St. Louis is usually warm, sometimes even hot, the humidity usually begans to drop, making at least the last half or so of September typically much nicer than July or August, even if the temps reach up into the 80's or even around 90.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:43 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgemo2 View Post

Agree completely. And it seems even hotter in the city with all the cement and bricks.

The other two things to watch for are the hail storms some summers and the ice storms in the winter (but less snow than most Midwestern cities).

Old 06-16-2012, 10:12 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
St. Louis' winters are what I'd call moderate...while often cold and snowy, as many have said, it's not on the level of the Upper Midwest...more like KC, Indy, Cincy, and Columbus. Average snowfall is around 20 inches. It can get downright frigid though in January...the temperatures swing back and forth like crazy. Deep freezes are rare. In the summer, the humidity is pretty bad, but it's not even close to anything like a summer in Texas.

The Lower Midwest, and some parts of the Central Midwest, have hot and humid summers. Omaha, Des Moines, KC, STL, Indy, and Cincy all are pretty hot and humid in the summer, though obviously the first two have what I'd call severe winters.

Bottomline is that winter and summer are both experienced in their fullest in STL. This city gets all four seasons.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:13 AM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Anytime the dewpoint goes above 60F that is too humid overall. Needless to say I hated the heat and humidity of KC and when I visited STL during the summer. As mentioned, the urban heat island effect makes things far worse in the summer for the more urban locales of both cities. Lows in those areas don't often drop below 75-80F for long stretches. Even with a good AC that is truly awful.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 AM

26,410 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlouisan View Post
St. Louis' winters are what I'd call moderate...while often cold and snowy, as many have said, it's not on the level of the Upper Midwest...more like KC, Indy, Cincy, and Columbus. Average snowfall is around 20 inches. It can get downright frigid though in January...the temperatures swing back and forth like crazy. Deep freezes are rare. In the summer, the humidity is pretty bad, but it's not even close to anything like a summer in Texas.

The Lower Midwest, and some parts of the Central Midwest, have hot and humid summers. Omaha, Des Moines, KC, STL, Indy, and Cincy all are pretty hot and humid in the summer, though obviously the first two have what I'd call severe winters.

Bottomline is that winter and summer are both experienced in their fullest in STL. This city gets all four seasons.
The best summer weather in the Midwest is Eagle River, WI and the Northwoods. Highs in the 70s and lows in the 40s. At an elevation above 1600ft it doesn't "usually" get long stretches of heat.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Agree completely. And it seems even hotter in the city with all the cement and bricks.

The other two things to watch for are the hail storms some summers and the ice storms in the winter (but less snow than most Midwestern cities).
Most is true, although STL's average snowfall is only a bit less than KC, Cincy, Indy, and Columbus. And it does get more snowfall than places further south in Southern Indiana, Southern Illinois, and Southern Missouri.

Historically, STL used to get much more severe winters. 200 years ago I think the Mississippi froze over pretty frequently every winter...snowfall was much higher too. Winters can get bad with snowfall...30 inches of snow or more is far from unheard of here. There was also the winters of 1978 and 1982, plus that massive snowstorm that just barely missed us but clobbered the rest of Missouri.

A bad summer on average is more common than a bad winter, but both happen fairly often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis