Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 03:13 PM

61 posts, read 78,123 times

Advertisements

Cards fans or local residents, I need your help!

I am attempting to go to a game this Friday night at Busch stadium. All the downtown hotels are super expensive. Is there an area close by that has easy access to the Stadium/Arch area? I would need a non-driving way of getting from the hotel to the city i.e. bus, train, or inexpensive cab. Any help is much appreciated.

Also, what are the good party spots after and before the game?

Thanks!

James
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 03:37 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
If all the downtown hotels and the Forest Park/Central West End area hotels are super expensive, your best bet if you want to travel via public transit is probably be a hotel near the airport (most all have free shuttles to Lambert, which is the terminus of the red line). The metro can take you right downtown.

I love Broadway Oyster Bar more than words -- it's outside, divey and has live music, but there's a ton of bars down there to choose from.

Have fun!

Old 07-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
If all the downtown hotels and the Forest Park/Central West End area hotels are super expensive, your best bet if you want to travel via public transit is probably be a hotel near the airport (most all have free shuttles to Lambert, which is the terminus of the red line). The metro can take you right downtown.

I love Broadway Oyster Bar more than words -- it's outside, divey and has live music, but there's a ton of bars down there to choose from.

Have fun!
Love it. I will check it out. My only follow up question is, it looks like the metro link stops running at 12:30 AM. Is there a train that goes after that? I fully anticipate taking advantage of all St. Louis has to offer

Old 07-17-2012, 05:43 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,689,514 times
Homewood Suites, Brentwood MO, Sheraton, Clayton, MO, or Crowne Plaza Clayton, MO. All walking distance to MetroLink. If those are still too high, I agree with the airport. Try naming your own price as well. You are correct that the train stops running pretty early.

Old 07-18-2012, 07:01 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamespurdy2 View Post
Love it. I will check it out. My only follow up question is, it looks like the metro link stops running at 12:30 AM. Is there a train that goes after that? I fully anticipate taking advantage of all St. Louis has to offer
No, sadly if you're out after that you'll have to take a cab. I'm guessing that would cost you somewhere in the $20 range, so you might keep that in mind when comparing hotel prices.

Whatever you do, I hope you'll come back and let us know how your evening goes!

Old 07-18-2012, 07:43 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Hey James,

What has been your favorite stadium experience thus far? Your favorite stadium food? Favorite city, etc? I would love to take a similar voyage, sounds fascinating, actually.

I read a book about 25 years ago, called "Dodger Dogs and Fenway Franks" when I still followed baseball, before greed completely ruined the game. I think the author was Bob Wood, he tried a similar project, and undertook incredible sacrifice and scheduling to do this in one summer. Since then I've thought about a similar expedition.

Old 07-18-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
No, sadly if you're out after that you'll have to take a cab. I'm guessing that would cost you somewhere in the $20 range, so you might keep that in mind when comparing hotel prices.

Whatever you do, I hope you'll come back and let us know how your evening goes!
Arag, that may be my best bet. I think I am just going to fly in and priceline something when I get there. If I get nothing, I will just stay at one of the airport hotels. I will let you know and I am definitely going to check out the Broadway Oyster Bar. Thanks a million!

Old 07-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Hey James,

What has been your favorite stadium experience thus far? Your favorite stadium food? Favorite city, etc? I would love to take a similar voyage, sounds fascinating, actually.

I read a book about 25 years ago, called "Dodger Dogs and Fenway Franks" when I still followed baseball, before greed completely ruined the game. I think the author was Bob Wood, he tried a similar project, and undertook incredible sacrifice and scheduling to do this in one summer. Since then I've thought about a similar expedition.
Mike, I am from Philadelphia and I currently live in Baltimore. So I have to say, I already had my fair share of culture, experience, food, cool stadiums, night life, etc.

So far I have been to about 13 I think. This trip I am adding KC and STL. My favorite stadium so far is Miller Park in Milwaukee. It lacks the nightlife and other things to do around the stadium but it is just cool looking. Everyone there is friendly as well and we found an awesome strip of bars in the downtown area.

Other than that, I'd say Wrigley was my favorite. The park is just cool with its history and how small it is. There is a TON of stuff to do around the park as well. You really don't need to go far.

Fenway has a similar feel but the actual park is kind of industrial feeling. It is cool because it's old but that is about it. Red Sox fans might want to kill me for saying that.

Philly is awesome but if you ever get a chance to go to Baltimore, I'd highly recommend.

I'd recommend doing the trip no matter how into baseball you are. You can probably tell from my comments above that the actual baseball component of the trip has almost little to do with anything. I am going more for the experience of the city. Also, this year we specifically decided to go to games the Phillies were NOT playing. Philly people travel well and we tended to lose some of the home town flavor with red hats and the small group of trashy people that give us a bad reputation.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:32 AM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Quote:
Cards fans or local residents, I need your help!

I am attempting to go to a game this Friday night at Busch stadium. All the downtown hotels are super expensive. Is there an area close by that has easy access to the Stadium/Arch area? I would need a non-driving way of getting from the hotel to the city i.e. bus, train, or inexpensive cab. Any help is much appreciated.

Also, what are the good party spots after and before the game?

Thanks!

James
I have used priceline with great frequency with success. The medium sized ad smaller cities are tougher than the big cities to get as good of a deal. It's great for big cities because of the large supply of hotels.

Party spots depend on your interests and distance.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:38 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Mike, I am from Philadelphia and I currently live in Baltimore. So I have to say, I already had my fair share of culture, experience, food, cool stadiums, night life, etc.

So far I have been to about 13 I think. This trip I am adding KC and STL. My favorite stadium so far is Miller Park in Milwaukee. It lacks the nightlife and other things to do around the stadium but it is just cool looking. Everyone there is friendly as well and we found an awesome strip of bars in the downtown area.

Other than that, I'd say Wrigley was my favorite. The park is just cool with its history and how small it is. There is a TON of stuff to do around the park as well. You really don't need to go far.

Fenway has a similar feel but the actual park is kind of industrial feeling. It is cool because it's old but that is about it. Red Sox fans might want to kill me for saying that.

Philly is awesome but if you ever get a chance to go to Baltimore, I'd highly recommend.

I'd recommend doing the trip no matter how into baseball you are. You can probably tell from my comments above that the actual baseball component of the trip has almost little to do with anything. I am going more for the experience of the city. Also, this year we specifically decided to go to games the Phillies were NOT playing. Philly people travel well and we tended to lose some of the home town flavor with red hats and the small group of trashy people that give us a bad reputation.
I especially agree with the first 3 sentences in the last paragraph. The game is an ancillary feature in your case. The intent of such a trip to me would be to see how differently cities look and feel is, culturally speaking, and using the assembly of fans at the stadium and surroundings as a barometer. I wish I could make the trip with you, truthfully. You should consider starting a blog, with pictures, and reporting your observations. I would certainly read about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis