Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 12:22 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,828,662 times

Advertisements

I agree that Maryland Heights is fantastic. I have no regrets in the fact that I moved there when I first moved to St. Louis. I'd recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 03:22 PM

107 posts, read 208,664 times
The only problem with MH thus far is I haven't seen much outside of standard apartments in my price range. Someone told me St. Ann and Overland were both dangerous?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:49 PM

Seriously? No, I wouldn't say St. Ann or Overland were dangerous at all. There are parts which are shabbier than others in both (older housing stock, etc) and parts in both that aren't doing so well, but that's like any other place. FlyNavyJ should be able to direct you to the better parts of St. Ann as he lives there himself

I would definitely not call either 'dangerous' by any stretch though- that's quite laughable

Bridgeton is also okay for the most part. With your budget, Ferguson may also be worth looking into. It went through a bit of a rough patch but they've been putting a lot of effort into revitalizing it lately (and Ferguson Brewing Co is awesome for lunch / dinner!). You may also be able to get somewhere in Florissant although it would be small. I live in Florissant and although there are pockets of it which have declined, for the most part it's great, and I love it here

Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,914,449 times
Most all neighborhoods in STL City are within a 30 min drive to MH.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:39 PM

How about the Princeton Heights area? Safe?

Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 PM

230 posts, read 384,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdagarim View Post
How about the Princeton Heights area? Safe?
Yes.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:35 AM

9,334 posts, read 20,680,010 times
How about the option of living in proximity to old town in St. Charles? Since the work location is Maryland Heights, this easily qualifies as an under 30 minute commute.

Old 03-20-2013, 12:51 PM

mike0421: I think the OP's main issue is budget. Due to his dogs he needs a single family home, ideally and his budget is $750 which puts him out of the running of most houses in St. Charles, and Maryland Heights for that matter That's why I suggested areas of North County and Mid County, they're often more affordable

Old 03-20-2013, 09:04 PM

711 posts, read 2,099,483 times
I think the OP just needs to make some serious decisions! It's go time! Do you want urban or suburban? I think you could find something in your range in several city neighborhoods that are safe. I think Dogtown is a great suggestion because some of the houses are small enough that you can get something in your price range, and you can get some nice sized yards. My first house in Dogtown was only about 800 sq ft and 2 bedrooms, very small, but had a very big back yard. I paid $650/mo at the time (5 years ago). My second house was a lot bigger but had a lot smaller yard at $850/mo.

There's a few companies you have to watch for on Craigslist - if you call ANY of them and they want you to pay a finders fee, just dismiss them immediately and get back to searching. If they are legit and want to show you the place right away and confirm the rent price, go for it.

Any way, use Craigslist, and put the neighborhood name and "fenced" in the title. I found one in Dogtown but the listing is very old so I don't think they are still for rent, most likely.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:02 PM

Yeah I've been using craigslist a lot. We really liked the Kirkwood area but finding things in our budget there is hard lol. We had a good home prospect and were second in line but the first people ended up getting it and we didn't even get a chance to apply. So I'm bummed about that. I don't really know, I know we would like at least one off street parking spot as well. That eliminates a lot of the south city homes from what I've seen. I don't have to have a large yard, just some kind of fenced area would be nice. The house we wanted only had a very small fenced area but it was secluded and the area seemed quiet with not a lot of distractions for the pup. I haven't driven around in North County yet. I'll have more time to scout neighborhoods after this week (alot of my time has been eaten up by finishing my last two weeks at my current job.) I've seen a lot in my budget in North County but really how bad is it? What about St. John? Can anyone rank all the north neighborhoods? I've been using crimereports.com to get a feel for areas but I think I'm using it way too much (hah) and I don't think it's an ultimate indicator on an area. If I don't find a place in time the company has implied they might help with an extended stay place until we do but I really hope I find something before that. I start mid April.

Last edited by tdagarim; 03-20-2013 at 10:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis