Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynavyj View Post
A Co-worker of mine lives in Litchfield, IL. It's a very small town about 45 miles from St. Louis, and 45 miles from springfield (Her husband works in Springfield). The commute wears on her pretty bad, just doing that daily, it takes approximately 1 hour each way. To compensate, she works long days (10 hrs) and does so four days a week. If you're work is flexible maybe you could do something similar, but either way, if I was working in Springfield, I'd be living in Springfield.

3 hours a day of my life, 15 hours a week, would be spent in my car, which is simply excessive to me...and I'm one who loves my car, and driving.
I guess I have lived in the DC area too long. 1 hour each way seems pretty much normal. I would say that's an average commute, may even be on the short side of average.

I know several people in my local office alone that have 1.5-2 hour commutes each way. When I drive, my commute is about an hour, but sometimes as little as 45 and as long as 2 hours. If I take transit, it's about 1.25-2 hours each way. I live 35 miles from work.

Even if you live in the city, the commute is often 45 minutes from door to door by the time you walk and wait for trains, buses etc.

I'm not saying this commute would be ideal, but it's odd how these commute times that used to seem crazy seem normal now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
I've been spoiled too since originally moving to St. Louis. When I lived in Brisbane (Australia) just traveling from the suburbs into the CBD (Central Business District) each day took well over an hour due to traffic volume- 2 hours if I wanted to rely on public transport.

However, it's one thing to be sitting in traffic for an hour or more but not really being that many miles from your destination- and it's another being 90+ miles away to begin with.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:49 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
I've been spoiled too since originally moving to St. Louis. When I lived in Brisbane (Australia) just traveling from the suburbs into the CBD (Central Business District) each day took well over an hour due to traffic volume- 2 hours if I wanted to rely on public transport.

However, it's one thing to be sitting in traffic for an hour or more but not really being that many miles from your destination- and it's another being 90+ miles away to begin with.
Yea, I think I would prefer urban traffic over a long distance rural commute like that.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:41 PM

Location: Jefferson City 4 days a week, St. Louis 3 days a week
2,709 posts, read 5,097,146 times
STL to Springfield is an easy drive, but to do it everyday? Not sure about that...the only reason I wouldn't would be the cost of gas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis