Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,029,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
The sales tax here is really out of hand. For example, today I went to the Wash U book store to buy a textbook. Their price is already 20% above the Amazon price, but there isn't a textbook or nonprofit sales tax exemption, so with sales tax the price of the textbook would have been 30% more than Amazon. I will pay a small premium for the convenience of buying locally, but not when the differences are so huge!
I recommend this as often as I can. Buy your books from Amazon, and sell back to Amazon. Its the best deal you'll get with your textbooks both with buying and selling. When you sell back to them they pay shipping and are given a Amazon gift card which you can use to buy next semester's books (or whatever). Almost every text book I've bought from Amazon I've gotten within $10 of my original purchase price. The only times I didn't get most of my money back was when I went cheap and bought an older version of the book. Even still I always got about 50% of my money back. If I tried selling a previous edition to the school bookstore I wouldn't get any money back, even the current edition I'm lucky to get half my money back. If you haven't used Amazon student, you can sign up for a 6 month trial and get your textbooks within 2 days. Time it right, and you can buy two semesters worth of books with free 2 day shipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 06:45 AM

3,483 posts, read 9,021,827 times
The text book situation isn't something unique to St. Louis or Missouri.

I think the other post was mentioning Olivette, as I don't believe any of Overland is actually in Ladue School District.

Do you have school age children? Just curious about the need to get an apartment in a top notch school district.

St. Louis is about of average when it comes to cost of living. When comparing to much of the East coast, you have to compare similar neighborhoods. To find East Coast prices in STL you have to look in the best areas of St. Louis. If you're simply wanting a 4Bd Room 2000+ SF home, you can do that in St. Louis on a $250k budget...prices are high since the 1990's, but still affordable nationwide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis