Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 06:23 AM

8 posts, read 8,281 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm moving from Dunwoody, GA to STL very soon. My new job will be very near Maryville University. Looking for an area to live that offers similar shopping and leisure convenience like Dunwoody. May I hear some suggestions? In the morning I'd like my commute time in less than 30 minutes.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2015, 08:28 PM

1,333 posts, read 3,226,726 times
Having lived in both metro Atl and the Lou, I'll weigh in. Commuting in Stl is really an afterthought compared to Atl, especially Dunwoody. I'm assuming you spent a lot of time on 285, there is nothing in Stl that compares to the hell that is 285.

If you're going to be around Maryville than Chesterfield, Town&Country, Ballwin or Creve Coeur would all fit the bill. They all actually all offer more conveniences/amenities than Dunwoody/Sandy Springs and are very nice areas. They are heavy on traffic by STL standards but like I said, you'll be in heaven.

They are fairly pricey areas so telling us your budget would help.

Old 04-26-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadro77 View Post
Having lived in both metro Atl and the Lou, I'll weigh in. Commuting in Stl is really an afterthought compared to Atl, especially Dunwoody. I'm assuming you spent a lot of time on 285, there is nothing in Stl that compares to the hell that is 285.

If you're going to be around Maryville than Chesterfield, Town&Country, Ballwin or Creve Coeur would all fit the bill. They all actually all offer more conveniences/amenities than Dunwoody/Sandy Springs and are very nice areas. They are heavy on traffic by STL standards but like I said, you'll be in heaven.

They are fairly pricey areas so telling us your budget would help.
Thank you! My budget is around $600-750 per month. I want to rent a bedroom in a house or apartment so I can afford the rent while enjoying a great living environment. This is what I'm doing in Dunwoody now. I was very lucky to find a great house to live in Dunwoody with a low rent.

I did some research and found I might enjoy Maryland Heights and Creve Coeur. But I haven't been to either.

Old 04-28-2015, 10:19 AM

488 posts, read 857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchrush View Post
Thank you! My budget is around $600-750 per month. I want to rent a bedroom in a house or apartment so I can afford the rent while enjoying a great living environment. This is what I'm doing in Dunwoody now. I was very lucky to find a great house to live in Dunwoody with a low rent.

I did some research and found I might enjoy Maryland Heights and Creve Coeur. But I haven't been to either.
That budget is a bit harder to do in West County (Chesterfield, Manchester, Ballwin), but not impossible. Creve Coeur is a very good area and close enough to Maryville University. Maryland Heights is fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice to live.

You might also check out Kirkwood. They have a great little "downtown" area, a farmer's market, close to everything, and a bit cheaper than West County.

Old 04-28-2015, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyJune View Post
That budget is a bit harder to do in West County (Chesterfield, Manchester, Ballwin), but not impossible. Creve Coeur is a very good area and close enough to Maryville University. Maryland Heights is fine, but it wouldn't be my first choice to live.

You might also check out Kirkwood. They have a great little "downtown" area, a farmer's market, close to everything, and a bit cheaper than West County.
Thanks! I'll definitely check out Kirkwood. Basically I want to share a room in an apartment or house so my budget will suffice. I am looking at Maryland Heights because it's close to a park. I jog a lot so it'd be good. I'm pretty open to other areas though.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:26 PM

173 posts, read 499,573 times
My dau attended grad school and worked a year at Wash u and lived in Maplewood/richmond heights area. Safe neighborhood. She enjoyed it and there were some cafés in walking distance and shopping is a quick drive away. It's also near Foest Park. It's quieter than the area near tower Grove where she lived her first year there but some streets there were sketchier.

I've been in St. Louis a lot the past couple months and stayed a few nights near Children's hospital. It's further for you and I don't know about living there but it's been my favorite area for a hotel with a lot of neat restaurants there.
Good luck!

Old 04-29-2015, 09:21 AM

488 posts, read 857,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox1 View Post
My dau attended grad school and worked a year at Wash u and lived in Maplewood/richmond heights area. Safe neighborhood. She enjoyed it and there were some cafés in walking distance and shopping is a quick drive away. It's also near Foest Park. It's quieter than the area near tower Grove where she lived her first year there but some streets there were sketchier.

I've been in St. Louis a lot the past couple months and stayed a few nights near Children's hospital. It's further for you and I don't know about living there but it's been my favorite area for a hotel with a lot of neat restaurants there.
Good luck!
The area by Children's Hospital is considered the Central West End. It's kind of hipster, the apartments are the most expensive in the area, and I wouldn't go walking alone at night there. It's a great place to visit, eat, hang out with friends. I wouldn't live there.

As far as Maplewood and Richmond Heights, it depends on the OP's level of tolerance for traffic. It's not a long drive, but it can be infuriating during rush hour with all the stop and go on 64. Turns a 15 minute drive into at least 30. If that doesn't bother the OP, yes, that's a good neighbourhood as well.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:14 PM

147 posts, read 383,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouchrush View Post
Creve Coeur > Maryland Heights.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:49 PM

173 posts, read 499,573 times
I think if the OP is from ATL, the traffic on 64 won't bother her too much, at least initially. My mom lives in John's Creek, n of ATL and I'm there pretty often. Traffic there is grim. As I said I've been in St Louis a lot recently and have stayed both near the airport and Westport and while the traffic is a bit slow, I didn't find it terrible and I think she'd be traveling in the opposite direction from most traffic at peak times. Right?

thanks for comments on Central West End. I am probably heading back Friday and hope to stay there again.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:25 PM

184 posts, read 245,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox1 View Post
I think if the OP is from ATL, the traffic on 64 won't bother her too much, at least initially. My mom lives in John's Creek, n of ATL and I'm there pretty often. Traffic there is grim. As I said I've been in St Louis a lot recently and have stayed both near the airport and Westport and while the traffic is a bit slow, I didn't find it terrible and I think she'd be traveling in the opposite direction from most traffic at peak times. Right?.
Correct. I travel that direction on I-64 for my morning commute (and the opposite for my evening commute). While it's true that there are slow-moving zones on a pretty regular basis, it's not horrible by any means. If the OP is willing to commute up to 30 minutes, I see no reason he/she couldn't do Maplewood/Richmond Heights to Maryville Univ. Of course, if there is a bad accident or really bad weather, it might take longer, but those occasions are not frequently occurring.

Actually, I think the worst part of it might be traveling home during the evening rush-hour if there is a Cardinals game in town. Maryville to Maplewood may take some extra time on those days, depending on when the OP leaves work. I definitely try to keep the Cardinals home schedule in mind when deciding what time to leave work and head home. I either decide to work late or leave as early as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis