Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 04:39 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times

Advertisements

A couple NBA teams may move soon (I've mostly heard Seattle and some about New Orleans) to new cities (probably Vegas, Oklahoma City, or Kansas City (they have that beautiful new arena just waiting).

Collinsville is looking into getting an MLS team, also.

Could either/both survive here? Would you support them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2008, 08:55 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,892,595 times
I hope St Louis get a MLS team. We are building a new soccer stadium in KC. StL is a soccer town and would support a team IMO.

Not sure about NBA though. You guys seem a bit tapped out with the NHL right now.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
You know I think if an NBA team came and were somehow able to be good sometime in the first half decade they are here they'd be very successful, much like the Rams were.

Honestly, I'd like to have both in St. Louis.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:15 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
A couple NBA teams may move soon (I've mostly heard Seattle and some about New Orleans) to new cities (probably Vegas, Oklahoma City, or Kansas City (they have that beautiful new arena just waiting).

An MLS Franchise would do well. An NBA team would have a tougher time. It'd be great to have both, but that would be really stretching it. No market the size of STL has all major sports teams.(MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) An MLS franchise would do just fine.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:42 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,060,436 times
For some other discussion regarding this subject, if interested check out the thread:
How come there is no NBA in St Louis?

Myself, I prefer soccer. Anyone recall the Steamers? Slobo Ilijevski?

Old 01-11-2008, 01:35 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
For some other discussion regarding this subject, if interested check out the thread:
How come there is no NBA in St Louis?

Myself, I prefer soccer. Anyone recall the Steamers? Slobo Ilijevski?
This is OUTDOOR soccer, as in the real thing, not to be compared to indoor soccer. I'd welcome an MLS and NBA team, but an MLS frachise wouldn't come at the expense of any other sports dollar in STL.

In reality, St. Louis would support a team well. Soccer has a long history and tradition in STL of high level player and popularity. Costs to attend games would not be high or astronomical in comparison to the other 4 major pro sports and the amount of home games is nowhere near the the same stratosphere as the other four. And games are played primarily in the summer, with only baseball as the other sports draw that time of year. The Cardinals will still get their 3 million fans annually and there is plenty left over for MLS ticket sales.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM

275 posts, read 1,125,026 times
NBA would have to compete with hockey season, and we all know who would win that battle in St. Louis! Give me a hockey game over a basketball game anyday.

Not a big fan of soccer, but with all the players in the area it might stand a chance. Could be good for the area, but no matter what they do I hope they don't look to the taxpayers to subsidize. Especially in Collinsville which is in my county of Madison where they love their taxes.

Interesting topic StLCards. Something to ponder...

Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,398,001 times
NBA DEFINITELY. I love basketball. Soccer, nah...SLU has a good enough soccer team to keep the city satisfied for now.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post

The MLS is looking to expand and Saint Louis is a market they are interested in, along with Cleveland. NBA, I dont know. It would be cool to see a team there though. We could call them the "Saint Louis Spirits"

Old 01-15-2008, 09:11 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,628,883 times
As far as the subsidizing thing goes, I doubt they'd build a new venue... or would they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis