Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 12:28 PM

1,272 posts, read 2,188,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I didn't mean that the entire St. Louis area is unsafe. I just meant that part of the reason for the spike in the housing market may be people moving from the sections that had shootings and riots to nicer and safer sections of the same metro. I apologize for not phrasing it better.

It is a story about housing prices in the area spiking, not an article people fleeing the area. That would cause housing prices to plummet.

Also, Fox News has been much more brutal in its reports about your city than the other two cable news outlets.
Many people fail to realize that the riots happened in a rather small and impoverished part of Ferguson. Not only that, but most of the African Americans in Ferguson are middle class with nice manicured ranch homes. There is also a section of Ferguson with a nice old main street and big Victorian homes that you cant get for less than $250,000. The narrative as Ferguson being some crime ridden, oppressed ghetto was media propaganda, especially considering literally 10 miles down the road there are some of the roughest and impoverished ghettos in the nation in North St. Louis. There was definitely some corruption and underlying issues there, but name a major metropolitan area where this doesn't exist? I also think part of the problem was that it was depicted as a city all to its self, instead of being just an older inner ring suburb in greater St. Louis that was going through that socioeconomic and racial transition that happens often in major metropolitan areas across the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2015, 07:06 PM

685 posts, read 773,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL2006 View Post
Gee, what a fresh take on the never ending, completely overblown national narrative. Despite what CNN and MSNBC want to report, the St. Louis metro is still an extremely safe, friendly area that is affordable with very good schools. It still has a ton of Fortune 1000 companies and many highly respected private companies...and more than anything, it's a great place to raise kids. Yes, it's just "fly over country" to those on the coasts, but it's a great city with good people and Midwestern hospitality.
It is...and it isn't. It's a tale of two cities. If this region can't support and grow its central and namesake city, the region will suffer.

And it doesn't really matter what natives think. Investors, companies, and outsiders form their opinions based on what they see in the city and on the news. They then compare that to their options elsewhere. This region doesn't understand that, and as a result, has not grown in four decades.

The regional housing market has been fueled almost entirely by migration within the metro.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:20 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,075,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
It is...and it isn't. It's a tale of two cities. If this region can't support and grow its central and namesake city, the region will suffer.

And it doesn't really matter what natives think. Investors, companies, and outsiders form their opinions based on what they see in the city and on the news. They then compare that to their options elsewhere. This region doesn't understand that, and as a result, has not grown in four decades.

The regional housing market has been fueled almost entirely by migration within the metro.
I pretty much agree 100% and that's probably why I'm ultra-sensitive to this matter. I think the national media fuels a narrative that is untrue and damaging to STL. As you said, perception is viewed as reality.

And for the record on my previous post, I only listed CNN and MSNBC because they came to mind. I have no
partisan dog in this fight. Fox News is awful too.

And to illustrate your point, I think the NFL stadium issue is a perfect example. I'm for the stadium, but more because I know if it's not approved and built, nothing will take its place. I'm not holding my breath on the total Arch Grounds project (north river front beer garden, amphitheater, etc). STL absolutely needs downtown development like Indianapolis, Pittsburgh, and Nashville.

Old 12-04-2015, 07:43 PM

7,445 posts, read 7,041,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philberf View Post
Thanks, I'm skeptical, but hey, any good news for St. Louis is good news to me.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...0-74469?row=39

Last edited by MUTGR; 12-04-2015 at 07:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis