Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 09:35 PM

54 posts, read 81,241 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of things to love about St. Louis. Let me just start with that. But that's not what the question is asking, so I will get to the annoyances.

1. The drivers. Crazy? No, not crazy at all. They all drive like grandmas. My parents live in Sun City, TX and all of the greater St. Louis area reminds me of Sun City drivers. Slow and take forever to turn, etc. The speed limit is literally the *limit*. Like only drive the speed limit in case of extreme emergency. Normal around here, I kid you not, is driving 5-10 miles below the speed limit, regardless of if the speed limit is 30 or 65. You drive the speed limit and you will be considerably faster than the flow of traffic. They have no concept of using a shoulder to turn. Don't know how to move over to the left when turning left onto a busy street so someone else can pull up beside you to turn right. When I am turning left, I have had people coming from the opposite direction stop when we both have a green light and wait for me to turn even though they clearly have the right of way. Polite sure, but stupid, inefficient and dangerous. My daughter learned to drive here, and I was grateful for the granny drivers for that. Much easier than learning to drive in Dallas, where if you drive the speed limit cars are whizzing by you like you're standing still. Central Expressway, anyone? :-0

2. The access roads, or "outer roads," as they call them. They inexplicably just stop and veer away from the freeway. Who knows why. And it's a convoluted path back to the highway.

3. Everyone is from here. They pretty much just hang out with family and friends they've known for years. They are not so great at making small talk with strangers or being inclusive or welcoming. And back to the roads, I guess everyone knows the roads like the back of their hands because the signs, etc. suck. You ask someone if they are from "here," (in my mind meaning the greater St. Louis area, or even northeastern Missouri) and they will say, "Oh, no, I'm not from *here*. I'm from [town 10 miles down the road]." When I talk about not knowing the area because I'm from Texas, they feel that they can totally relate because they are from all the way down in West County.

4. They are really annoying at the theater. The Fox has some great productions but I won't go there any more because the chip eating, paper rustling, incessant whispering, etc. drive me crazy. And these are in the front orchestra seats. I can't imagine what the mezzanine must be like.

6. Poorly maintained roads. The stripes are almost impossible to see on many main roads. And the lack of street lights in St. Charles County, particularly O'Fallon, can make night driving a challenge.

7. Only one, or few, entrance/exits into shopping centers and stores. And "no left turn" into the stores so often even when the driveway is well away from an intersection.

8. Not really an annoyance per se, but the lack of interracial mingling is disconcerting. Prior to this, I lived in suburban areas of major cities in Texas, where it's much more of a melting pot.

9. Lack of manners. One small example, letting the door slam behind you instead of reaching behind to let the person coming up behind you catch it. That's by no means everyone, maybe even less than half, but it's still noticeable.

10. Others have mentioned the friendliness of St. Louisans and the Southern influence. Being from the South, I find the opposite--rather cold and more of a Northern/Northeastern influence. I guess it depends on your perspective. Few people will meet your eye, let alone smile or say hi when you pass by, even when walking down a suburban street. If you smile at them, many just look at you weird or steadfastly ignore you.

11. Just a generally provincial feel, and a lack of movement in and out. St. Louis seems to be on a very long, very gradual decline and the loss of population, not even keeping up with the birth rate, supports that sense.

12. Lack of pride besides Cardinal pride (which I admire). When I tell people I am from Texas, so often their reaction is an incredulous, "What brought you *here*?" said with some distaste. St. Louis is a great town, I would like to see more pride in this nice city.

Like I said, there are many, many wonderful things about St. Louis--great weather, tons of wonderful fun things to do, strong sense of family, they really go all out celebrating holidays, great Italian food on the Hill (I am on the side of those who like it, and I lived some months in Italy), excellent BBQ (wish they used more beef though!), great music scene (even if the fans are pretty mellow). But off the top of my head, those are the things I find most annoying. Most of it centered around driving.

Old 08-21-2016, 10:29 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
1. The weather sucks most of the year. The Fall is nice though.

2. The sheer number of people living in St. Louis who have never lived either outside of St. Louis or Missouri. It's really, really weird. Also, Destin, Florida is not an exotic travel location.

3. St. Louis lives in the past. Nobody gives a s*** about the 1904 World's Fair.

4. Drivers are no worse than anywhere else but they drive so freaking slow. If you drive the speed limit on the freeway, you will pass 95% of the other cars.

5. That so-called pizza is awful. I wouldn't use it as toilet paper.

6. Overall lack of an interest in a healthy lifestyle. I have never seen so many obese people in my life.
There are no more fat people here than any other city. As far as St. Louis style pizza so what it's not for you. Drivers here are no different than any other city I've been to. As far as St. Louis living in the past, so does every other Rust Belt city. You seem very eager to post negative things about this city so I'm not engaging you any further. But if you think we're not a real city, then leave.

Old 08-21-2016, 11:16 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,965,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sb2323 View Post
There are a lot of things to love about St. Louis. Let me just start with that. But that's not what the question is asking, so I will get to the annoyances.

1. The drivers. Crazy? No, not crazy at all. They all drive like grandmas. My parents live in Sun City, TX and all of the greater St. Louis area reminds me of Sun City drivers. Slow and take forever to turn, etc. The speed limit is literally the *limit*. Like only drive the speed limit in case of extreme emergency. Normal around here, I kid you not, is driving 5-10 miles below the speed limit, regardless of if the speed limit is 30 or 65. You drive the speed limit and you will be considerably faster than the flow of traffic. They have no concept of using a shoulder to turn. Don't know how to move over to the left when turning left onto a busy street so someone else can pull up beside you to turn right. When I am turning left, I have had people coming from the opposite direction stop when we both have a green light and wait for me to turn even though they clearly have the right of way. Polite sure, but stupid, inefficient and dangerous. My daughter learned to drive here, and I was grateful for the granny drivers for that. Much easier than learning to drive in Dallas, where if you drive the speed limit cars are whizzing by you like you're standing still. Central Expressway, anyone? :-0

2. The access roads, or "outer roads," as they call them. They inexplicably just stop and veer away from the freeway. Who knows why. And it's a convoluted path back to the highway.

3. Everyone is from here. They pretty much just hang out with family and friends they've known for years. They are not so great at making small talk with strangers or being inclusive or welcoming. And back to the roads, I guess everyone knows the roads like the back of their hands because the signs, etc. suck. You ask someone if they are from "here," (in my mind meaning the greater St. Louis area, or even northeastern Missouri) and they will say, "Oh, no, I'm not from *here*. I'm from [town 10 miles down the road]." When I talk about not knowing the area because I'm from Texas, they feel that they can totally relate because they are from all the way down in West County.

4. They are really annoying at the theater. The Fox has some great productions but I won't go there any more because the chip eating, paper rustling, incessant whispering, etc. drive me crazy. And these are in the front orchestra seats. I can't imagine what the mezzanine must be like.

6. Poorly maintained roads. The stripes are almost impossible to see on many main roads. And the lack of street lights in St. Charles County, particularly O'Fallon, can make night driving a challenge.

7. Only one, or few, entrance/exits into shopping centers and stores. And "no left turn" into the stores so often even when the driveway is well away from an intersection.

8. Not really an annoyance per se, but the lack of interracial mingling is disconcerting. Prior to this, I lived in suburban areas of major cities in Texas, where it's much more of a melting pot.

9. Lack of manners. One small example, letting the door slam behind you instead of reaching behind to let the person coming up behind you catch it. That's by no means everyone, maybe even less than half, but it's still noticeable.

10. Others have mentioned the friendliness of St. Louisans and the Southern influence. Being from the South, I find the opposite--rather cold and more of a Northern/Northeastern influence. I guess it depends on your perspective. Few people will meet your eye, let alone smile or say hi when you pass by, even when walking down a suburban street. If you smile at them, many just look at you weird or steadfastly ignore you.

11. Just a generally provincial feel, and a lack of movement in and out. St. Louis seems to be on a very long, very gradual decline and the loss of population, not even keeping up with the birth rate, supports that sense.

12. Lack of pride besides Cardinal pride (which I admire). When I tell people I am from Texas, so often their reaction is an incredulous, "What brought you *here*?" said with some distaste. St. Louis is a great town, I would like to see more pride in this nice city.

Like I said, there are many, many wonderful things about St. Louis--great weather, tons of wonderful fun things to do, strong sense of family, they really go all out celebrating holidays, great Italian food on the Hill (I am on the side of those who like it, and I lived some months in Italy), excellent BBQ (wish they used more beef though!), great music scene (even if the fans are pretty mellow). But off the top of my head, those are the things I find most annoying. Most of it centered around driving.
I generally try to stay away from natives in any city. I only live in transplant friendly and racially diverse areas. Seems to be a lot more fun and easier to socialize.

I thought our roads where in pretty good shape for a midwestern city that experience 4 seasons. But there again I have no reason what so ever to go to O'Fallon Missouri.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:35 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:

I feel somewhat the same as you stated in number 11.
I hope we both are wrong.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:53 PM

685 posts, read 767,149 times
I respectfully disagree on several of your points, however...

Quote:
I actually feel that the pavement here is better than most cities, but I do agree that the striping and lighting is lacking. Outside of the City, most highways have little or no lighting. And the striping is particularly bad here. Even on brand new pavement, it's much worse that what I've seen in most other states.

And perhaps the biggest issue I have with our highways is I-64 (Highway 40) through the City. It is our metro's central artery...and it's only two lanes wide through downtown. Only three lanes through the rest of the City. It's a disgrace.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:12 PM

436 posts, read 521,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topospace View Post
1. The weather sucks most of the year. The Fall is nice though.

2. The sheer number of people living in St. Louis who have never lived either outside of St. Louis or Missouri. It's really, really weird. Also, Destin, Florida is not an exotic travel location.

3. St. Louis lives in the past. Nobody gives a s*** about the 1904 World's Fair.

4. Drivers are no worse than anywhere else but they drive so freaking slow. If you drive the speed limit on the freeway, you will pass 95% of the other cars.

5. That so-called pizza is awful. I wouldn't use it as toilet paper.

6. Overall lack of an interest in a healthy lifestyle. I have never seen so many obese people in my life.
Great list. #2

And yes, feelings were probably hurt.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:28 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
False. Had to drive to Edwardsville Illinois today, 43 miles, most of it on 270. Speed limit was 60, set my cruise on 69 and was passed by way more cars than I passed. Was a fair amount of traffic too and didn't have to get off cruise until the bridge over the river into Illinois. I'm not saying this is a good thing, but what you posted is demonstrably false.
That's just the subgroup of people getting the hell out of St. Louis.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:43 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,600,418 times
Quote:

I don't really see any of these other than 11 and 12, but I also hate O'fallon and avoid it when I can, so maybe that's why I don't see this stuff as much. O'fallon is where people who hate other people go to live.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:24 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,338,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
In terms of Florida drivers, Miami etc..car insurance is much higher. There are many immigrant drivers, some friends of mine too, that are not used to driving the freeway system. St. Louis has middle of the road, normal, drivers, a bit on the slower side with a few too many slower drivers in the faster lanes, but pretty decent, and St. Louis has a very good highway system for an area of its size. That's pretty far down the list.

I would like to see St. Louis evolve long term into more of a diverse, melting pot city with more transplants. One ot my biggest and unusual pet peeves is local news, which I do not watch often. But the local channels run commercials and advertisements touting the new hire with local ties. Sigh. That is exactly what I do mot want. I want more people not from St. Louis with no ties to St. Louis so that St. Louis can broaden its horizons.

Restaurant variety is improving. Whether peopl like provel or other local things, who cares? I am from St. Louis but I am perhaps unusual in the middle on those things. If people like something great, if not that is great too. The hostiliy over cheese preferences sometimes is silly. Playful disagreement I understand.
SEFL has terrible drivers but they're terrible all over. It's not just a race or immigrant thing. Around here whites drive just as bad.

Old 08-23-2016, 02:30 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,858,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
I respectfully disagree on several of your points, however...

I actually feel that the pavement here is better than most cities, but I do agree that the striping and lighting is lacking. Outside of the City, most highways have little or no lighting. And the striping is particularly bad here. Even on brand new pavement, it's much worse that what I've seen in most other states.

And perhaps the biggest issue I have with our highways is I-64 (Highway 40) through the City. It is our metro's central artery...and it's only two lanes wide through downtown. Only three lanes through the rest of the City. It's a disgrace.
It's four lanes from Vandeventer to Skinker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis