Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2017, 10:17 AM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times

Advertisements

As a current North County resident, the families that I personally know who are moving out of the area are doing so because of the school districts, or to be closer to family who has already moved.

I'm sure there are racial motivations for some, but from the people I know, who have moved in recent years or planning on it, the above are the reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2017, 11:08 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Well sure, the damage is done now.

But as I've said before, even in the 80s when capital flight was taking off, nobody actually has to be racist. People just need to think enough other people are racist to believe that the arrival of blacks will drive down property values.

Old 01-10-2017, 12:07 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,866,481 times
FrankMiller- excellent point

Old 01-10-2017, 01:19 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Someboyelse View Post
I can only speak from anecdote, but I grew up in North County, and all my friends lived in North County as well. Maybe 10%, at most, remain, and they are ALL in Hazelwood (bordering St. Charles and getting close to West County).

The thing is this, none of them moved to St. Charles, or West County, or anywhere because it was "Whiter". They nearly all left for jobs in other places, as in "out of the state of Missouri", with a couple moving to the country after they retired.

I know it isn't as fun to talk about, but the truth is a lot of people left North County because the jobs left North County.
Bingo! It is about jobs and little else. The white flight that did occur was mainly from STL City during the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Those racist liberal city folk are to blame. St. Charles is just brought up as a distraction.

Old 01-10-2017, 04:10 PM

685 posts, read 768,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Bingo! It is about jobs and little else. The white flight that did occur was mainly from STL City during the 50s, 60s, and 70s. Those racist liberal city folk are to blame. St. Charles is just brought up as a distraction.
Yeah, I'm bewildered by the focus on St. Charles. As if South County, West County, and JeffCo weren't sprawling at the same time...

Old 01-10-2017, 05:54 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,055,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Whatever - so are you arguing that NoCo has not gone from being majority white to majority black over the last 30 years? The same certainly has not happened in West Co or SoCo. Racist liberal city folk sounds like an oxymoron to me.

Old 01-10-2017, 07:06 PM

1,400 posts, read 864,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zach_33 View Post
Whatever - so are you arguing that NoCo has not gone from being majority white to majority black over the last 30 years? The same certainly has not happened in West Co or SoCo. Racist liberal city folk sounds like an oxymoron to me.
You must not be familiar with Mayor Darst and his disaster known as Pruitt-Igoe. His public housing projects destabilized the city for decades.

JOBS, JOBS, JOBS. White people left North County when the blue collar JOBS left. Nobody is disputing the fact that many of the towns are majority black now.

Old 01-11-2017, 01:41 AM

21 posts, read 27,056 times
LOL, frank miller, your cheese pizza analogy thing was so funny and ingenious! I give you 10 thumbs up!

Old 01-11-2017, 06:52 AM

4,873 posts, read 3,603,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingAurvandil View Post
Yeah, I'm bewildered by the focus on St. Charles. As if South County, West County, and JeffCo weren't sprawling at the same time...
You're right but St. Charles is an obvious example, because we can easily track its population over time, and it was a popular destination for North County residents. Also, South/West county are still within St. Louis County and therefore contribute to it to some extent, while St. Charles isn't even contributing to the Zoo-Museum District.

Old 01-12-2017, 12:43 AM

685 posts, read 768,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMiller View Post
You're right but St. Charles is an obvious example, because we can easily track its population over time, and it was a popular destination for North County residents. Also, South/West county are still within St. Louis County and therefore contribute to it to some extent, while St. Charles isn't even contributing to the Zoo-Museum District.
We can easily track the population of every census tract for decades. St. Charles isn't an outlier in that regard.

If black influx alone caused flight from NoCo, we would not have seen sprawl elsewhere. But...sprawl occurred in all areas, even places that had few blacks. And it continues to occur today. That was my nuanced assertion.

As for taxes, there is nothing unusual about St. Charles. You ought to include Franklin, Jefferson, Madison, St. Clair, and Monroe counties. They are no different from St. Charles County, as they do not levy significant regional taxes. For the record, St. Charles does pay the regional greenway tax, which is minuscule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis