Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:23 AM

10 posts, read 20,737 times

Advertisements

I am a single mother, only 39 years of age. My Only child is going to be going to College next year and I will be free to roam the earth in any direction I wish. I have been living in NY all of my life and love it! However, the cost of living has become a major issue. I have a deep affection for historical homes/architecture and in NYC there is no such thing available without the ability to take on a multi-million dollar mortgage, so... I moved out of my beautiful 2 bedroom, 2 bath loft in Manhattan and bought a "raised ranch" (ughhh) in the suburbs of Long Island. Yes, have all the amenities a certain person would die for but I seem to be the type of person that is dying FROM it! I work all the time to make ends meet and hardly enjoy whatever there is to enjoy here and all I do is long for the artistic bohemian influence that once surrounded me. I would like to sell my house and relocate to St. Louis but have never done anything like this and will be leaving behind the safety and comfort of friends and family. I am haunted by the idea and was hoping to get some in-depth information from people who are knowledgeable and can guide me better than websites that give statistics and such. So here goes.. How is the job Market? What is the best area for me to consider? Single- City girl- trendy- architecturally pleasing- safe and a good investment as far as Real estate purchase... I am a graduate from Columbia University and will want to go to Law school as well so I need to consider that too. So there it all is.. Sorry its so much but I would appreciate any advice I can get. I just dont want to work to live anymore and I definitely don't want to live a life that doesn't suit me or make me happy. I am a Real estate agent here to get by until I complete Law school, I also tend Bar when the market is slow. My dream is to refurbish a historic home and make it my own while restoring it to its original beauty. I also have a lot of really cool friends (artists, musicians, investors, etc.) and I am hoping the people of St. Louis can fill those positions in my life, so is it easy to meet and make friends? All your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2008, 11:57 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,638,868 times
If you want to restore a historic house St. Louis is a great option. There are beautiful old mansions in St. Louis that could use some tender loving care, and they can be had for a steal compared to anything you've experienced before. I would look at the Central West End, I bet you'd love it.

Plus that area would put you close to the two best law schools in St. Louis - Washington University and St. Louis University. Wash U is very selective, but with a degree from Columbia I bet you could get in. SLU is a Jesuit university that is well-respected in the area.

The economy in St. Louis is actually very good right now. In fact, St. Louis was recently ranked third in cities with new businesses coming to town. I am sure there are opportunities to be any kind of lawyer you should choose. Also good to not is that the real estate market isn't in the same shambles it is in much of the country, so it's not inconceivable to earn a decent living selling homes while you go to school if you so desire.

If you live in a fun and vibrant part of the city, making friends will not be difficult at all. It is in the suburbs that it can be harder to make friends if you don't have children.

St. Louis is pretty eastern in its ways because of its rust belt roots, but if you head much farther south or west you'll get more of that southern feel.

That being said, it will certainly be a change for you. It's far smaller than even Chicago and people are less fast-paced (though not slowly paced like some cities like Louisville or Atlanta) and people are much more dependent on their cars than in Manhattan (though after living on Long Island I am sure you are used to that)

All in all I'd highly suggest checking it out. It would be a major change, but you just might love it!

Old 03-17-2008, 12:02 PM

I just thought you might like to see what a beautiful and restored historic mansion goes for in the area I was talking abuot, the Central West End. This property is walking distance to restaurants, cool shops, one of the best urban parks in America (seriously you'll love Forest Park) and public transportation, both bus and light rail (called metrolink)

Single Family Home - 4739 Westminster, St Louis, MO, 63108 - Realtor.com

But if you wanted to restore one you could pick one up for far far less and do it all exactly to your specs

Old 03-17-2008, 12:10 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,805,645 times
Price range?

St. Louis has two law schools. They were mentioned. Both are good solid schools. Wash U will get you more regional play in the job world, and some National. SLU will get you good local play in law jobs.

As mentioned the pace is very slow. Chicago has a very slow pace compared to NYC, and St. Louis has a little slower pace than that. That's the most common talked about thing amongst New Yorkers, good or bad is the slow pace of a Chicago or St. Louis etc...

I'd start mainly in urban areas such as Central West End, South City and some other urban neighborhoods.

Public transportation isn't the same, so having a car would help you. You can get by without one in certain areas.

Old 03-17-2008, 12:55 PM

Thanks so much for the advice and suggestions.. I dont mind driving, i like the freedom of having my own transportation. Price range would depend on what kind of income I can make there, but without knowing I would have to stick to maybe the 250,000 range. Do you think that the slower pace would put me at an advantage in getting a job, since I am used to a more face paced work ethic? Washington U is private and I am sure very expensive, Im still paying off Columbia U and probably will be for half of the rest of my life, lol. Its good to know its an option though. Yes, Central West End is appealing to me as well as Lafayette and Soulard and Shaw, where do you think the best Real Estate as far as investment goes? Thanks

Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM

I think at 250k hoping to make money on it I'd look at places near Tower Grove Park (like Shaw) as well as Lafayette square and also check out Benton Park. All are growing quickly!

Old 03-17-2008, 01:03 PM

Oh and btw, Slowing down is one of the positive aspects of relocating, I think? I might get frustrated at first waiting for things but thats no big deal. Fast paced applies to everything here, service, relationships, family etc. I am looking for a better life all around, a fuller life that doesn't pass me by so quickly, lol! Also I think the charms of Mid-Western men are way more appealing then a fast paced, quick talking and stressed out NY male! Thanks again..

Old 03-17-2008, 03:04 PM

395 posts, read 1,375,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrygirl View Post
Oh and btw, Slowing down is one of the positive aspects of relocating, I think? I might get frustrated at first waiting for things but thats no big deal. Fast paced applies to everything here, service, relationships, family etc. I am looking for a better life all around, a fuller life that doesn't pass me by so quickly, lol! Also I think the charms of Mid-Western men are way more appealing then a fast paced, quick talking and stressed out NY male! Thanks again..
Have you ever spent time in the midwest? I would say chicago is pretty fast paced compared to St. Louis.

Also, it's not like people are walking slowly and dilly dallying all the time with a knapsack over their shoulders and straw hanging out their mouths!!! I mean, at school and work isn't going to be that different from NYC, where working hard and fast is the way...that's an american thing. I've met many new yorkers who were actually surprised by st. louis and how they liked it so much. It's not a manhattan, but a very historic cultured city. I think it fits in well with east coast cities, kind of like an east coast/southern city sitting in the midwest...(im sure ill get heat from st. louisans saying this) And it's probably not as slow as you'd imagine.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:12 PM

I think if anything you won't get annoyed by the pace, but more the hours. New York is a 24 hour city, Chicago is a 22 hour city and St. Louis is more of a 20 hour city - if you're used a late night life St. Louis can be disappointing - all the bars close by 3.

But then of course the real crazy people "head to the east side" which means going to the late-night strip clubs and bars across the river in Illinois. That's usually how stories that end in question marks usually go haha! (Not that that's ever happened to me...)

Old 03-17-2008, 03:56 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,838,562 times
I would be cautious in East St. Louis after dark, but that may just be me.

St. Louis is a wonderful city. It's much slower paced, but nice. From my understanding NY has 4 season as St. Louis does. I think I heard St. Louis got 30 inches (sound right?) of snow this year.

$250k can buy you a nice house in St. Louis. Washington University is a great school, but expensive. Could you get a PEL grant or something? That might help. You can usually get those if you make below a certain amount, being a single parent, being a woman, or if you are a minority. SLU is a great school as well, and probably a little cheaper.

I would think a law degree would get you a job in just about any major urban area.

St. Louis is slower paced and a little more spread out than NY, so it'll be an advantage to have a car.

I also would suggest the Tower Grove/Lafayette area as well as the Central West End. When traveling inside the city MetroLink and the bus system can come in handy. It's $2 each way for MetroLink, but you can buy passes for like a month at a time.

Coldwell Banker Gundaker -- Your site for St. Louis Real Estate is a good site to check out. But it has so many properties for sale it would be wise to be specific (at least # of BR and BA) and search for price in $25k intervals, such as $225-$250k.

I think you'll enjoy St. Louis. Welcome!

Urban St. Louis - Index is a great source for STL info as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis