Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 04:41 AM

137 posts, read 255,705 times

Advertisements

Ok, I think I worded my last post too harshly. I realize that saying the way I did, doesn't encourage open discussion, but makes people with alot of pride in their city get on the defensive.

If you had only one day to bike around StL what would be the route you took. What would be the best areas to see? Say, I'm not really into bars and clubs, but more historic stuff, nature, parks, good neighbourhoods, restaurants.

I suppose it's possible that I took a random ride and went through some of the worst the city has to offer. If I went to Chicago, And I started downtown and biked straight south. I would think the city was terrible, but I didn't see the whole north side, where all the good stuff is.

Is StL devided like that? Most cities I've been to are like that, One side is good, another bad. That's maybe one thing that threw me off. It seemed one minute I was in The Lafayette area say, but then a couple streets later everything looked so incredibly different. Usually I'm accostomed to a more gradual transition.

I also admit, I am not a hardened born and raised city dweller, so I may be more sensitive to certain elements of life in a city than people that grew up taking the el to school, and saw this stuff on a daily basis.

I'm used to stuff like sleaze ok, like in west coast cities, with alot of bums and street kids, but alot of people like I saw in StL wearing gang type clothes threw me off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2008, 12:46 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northoceanbeach View Post
Ok, I think I worded my last post too harshly. I realize that saying the way I did, doesn't encourage open discussion, but makes people with alot of pride in their city get on the defensive.

If you had only one day to bike around StL what would be the route you took. What would be the best areas to see? Say, I'm not really into bars and clubs, but more historic stuff, nature, parks, good neighbourhoods, restaurants.

I suppose it's possible that I took a random ride and went through some of the worst the city has to offer. If I went to Chicago, And I started downtown and biked straight south. I would think the city was terrible, but I didn't see the whole north side, where all the good stuff is.

Is StL devided like that? Most cities I've been to are like that, One side is good, another bad. That's maybe one thing that threw me off. It seemed one minute I was in The Lafayette area say, but then a couple streets later everything looked so incredibly different. Usually I'm accostomed to a more gradual transition.

I also admit, I am not a hardened born and raised city dweller, so I may be more sensitive to certain elements of life in a city than people that grew up taking the el to school, and saw this stuff on a daily basis.

I'm used to stuff like sleaze ok, like in west coast cities, with alot of bums and street kids, but alot of people like I saw in StL wearing gang type clothes threw me off.
You called St Louis a wasteland, dont expect to many positive responses after that one.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:21 PM

551 posts, read 3,122,989 times
St. Louis is spotty in its bad areas. Like you said, you could be in a nice area one minute, then be in a shabby area just a block or two over. When you do find all the pockets of good areas though, it's well worth it. Lafayette Square is a neat, historic place. You might also want to go through Laclede's Landing (great!), Forest Park (beautiful), Delmar Loop (not so much historic, but unique), and Central West End (more shopping and restaurants here, but is worth spending an afternoon). Soulard has some interesting old homes to look at if you're into that sort of thing, but there aren't a whole lot of "main attractions" here, per se.

I didn't grow up in STL, so I couldn't tell you about some of those hidden gems that only a local would know about, but this should give you a good start. Maybe someone else can elaborate.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,829,880 times
If you're ever in the wasteland, I've heard Crown Candy Kitchen is pretty nice.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 PM

12,063 posts, read 31,621,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
If you're ever in the wasteland, I've heard Crown Candy Kitchen is pretty nice.
LOL

Old 04-22-2008, 06:11 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,776 times
Start downtown and go up Washington Ave. Then try Soulard. The Hill, Central West End, in and around Tower Grove Park, Forest Park, the Loop, Lafayette Square, and anywhere in Southwest City. Dont forget the Arch grounds and Lacledes Landing.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:19 PM

803 posts, read 2,970,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
You called St Louis a wasteland, dont expect to many positive responses after that one.

Hmmmmm..... I had always thought that it was EAST St. Louis that was the "wasteland"....

As I remember my 6+ years in the CWE, Benton Park & Soulard, all I remember, is how wonderful and beautiful a place St. Louis was, to me.... the friendly people, the architecture, the links to its storied past....

Not to mention that being there during the time when Mark McGwire hit #71 & 72 and the Rams won the Superbowl was, indeed, a blessed time..... but even now, I have my best friend in the world living in Overland, and he's happy & secure-feeling there....

The 'Lou has an unjustly-deserved reputation, because there's a FEW areas that aren't the safest around, but by and large, it's a very desireable place to live...... in my opinion, of course...

Old 04-24-2008, 02:39 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,552 times
I'm kinda glad you're back Ocean. I don't think your accessment was all that off. I don't know what path you took but the public housing around Lafayette Sq. sucks. They keep redoing it and still don't have it right. Good thing you didn't see it when the Darst Webbe projects were there.

And you're correct, St. Louis goes from great homes in great neighborhoods - to ghetto fairly fast in some parts of the city. Take for instance Delmar west of Kingshighway. South of Delmar is fantastic, north is poor but with large homes that other cities would kill for.

And you're correct, if you're not used to urban scenery, then things can look bleak even though there is an inner shine.

St. Louis has great things going for it but it also has a long way to go. I hope the journey speeds up.

And don't ask cops for information. Dealing with crap all day long will make anybody negative about life.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:46 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,872 times
$32 million trolley in the works from the Delmar Loop to Forest Park..Might take 3 years!. This will satisfy many wanting to experience something from the past with a fresh new look.

And regarding some of the comments about St. Louis. I am a native of St. Louis. Lived in many different areas as a child and as an adult. Single and married, divorced, and remarried. There are now, quite a few of my past 'homes' that I would not live in let alone visit. Lived in the CWE, lived near Marcus and Easton (now Dr. M.L. King Dr.) Lived in Maplewood, St. John, Pine Lawn, Florissant, and other areas over many years. I am familiar with my hometown, very familiar.

Lack of personal pride in your surroundings accounts for many depressing, run down homes and neighborhoods. And perhaps, that is what is lacking, neighborhoods. St. Louis does have much to offer the visitor. I hear this all of the time. And those are the people that do not understand the sad truth about this once great city. I say once great due to the changes that have taken place to cause the dilapidated, sad appearance.

In another thread someone mentioned 'white flight'. Perhaps there is such an occurrence in many cities, St. Louis being no exception. However, this is not the primary reason nor cause for what has taken place to dissuade visitors from further exploration. Again, I say it's lack of pride and lack of neighborhoods. In addition so called 'city fathers' share some of the blame for what happens to cities. Incentives to retain tax producing industries is just one factor. There are many others.

I have seen many of my 'old' neighborhoods disappear and the homes are now sadly run down and neglected, taking on the appearance of having been bombed. This discussion took place recently with others that I know from the city. I still love 'my' city. I am not offended when an interloper is left with a distinct negative experience. I can truthfully understand. I am just saddened. The shame is that these people only explore so few parts of the whole. The beauty, warmth, excitement, and just plain good of St. Louis is there for all to see. It just may take a tad bit more searching for and at different times and in different locales. It's still 'my' city and I love her, charm and not so charming. But the truth does hurt at times.

Old 04-26-2008, 12:07 AM

5 posts, read 23,249 times
Crown Candy is great, but unless you live in the area you should only go during the day and drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis