Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2020, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 1,066 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have been looking for a home for about ~1.5 y now. We're first time home buyers and I guess we just haven't had much luck. Anyway we finally found a home and they have accepted our offer. Tomorrow morning inspections will be done.

My only issue w/ the house is that it is literally right near a flood zone area. It is technically in Flood Zone X on FEMA's map so minimal/low risk but the 0.2% risk area is a few houses down. (The water shouldn't reach the homes on the street but can reach their driveways.) It's in the 63128 area off Tesson Ferry so it's the Meramec River that reaches it. There's a vet who has lived across the street since '94. He told us our subdivision was built after the great flood of '93. He also said the water has only ever reached the 500y/0.2% chance area 3x since '94 but has never gone past so we should be good.

My husband, realtor, lender, family and friends don't think it's an issue. We like the house and neighborhood but I can't stop thinking about this.

I don't want to back out after inspections tomorrow and regret it.We are so ready to move out of our tiny apartment. We have 2 small boys. I'm afraid we won't find a house like this anytime soon. But I'm also worried that if we do move in that it will always be in the back of my mind whenever it does rain a lot or there is flooding else where in St. Louis.

I wish I could insert a picture of the map.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2020, 10:59 AM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adaoud View Post
My husband and I have been looking for a home for about ~1.5 y now. We're first time home buyers and I guess we just haven't had much luck. Anyway we finally found a home and they have accepted our offer. Tomorrow morning inspections will be done.

My only issue w/ the house is that it is literally right near a flood zone area. It is technically in Flood Zone X on FEMA's map so minimal/low risk but the 0.2% risk area is a few houses down. (The water shouldn't reach the homes on the street but can reach their driveways.) It's in the 63128 area off Tesson Ferry so it's the Meramec River that reaches it. There's a vet who has lived across the street since '94. He told us our subdivision was built after the great flood of '93. He also said the water has only ever reached the 500y/0.2% chance area 3x since '94 but has never gone past so we should be good.

My husband, realtor, lender, family and friends don't think it's an issue. We like the house and neighborhood but I can't stop thinking about this.

I don't want to back out after inspections tomorrow and regret it.We are so ready to move out of our tiny apartment. We have 2 small boys. I'm afraid we won't find a house like this anytime soon. But I'm also worried that if we do move in that it will always be in the back of my mind whenever it does rain a lot or there is flooding else where in St. Louis.

I wish I could insert a picture of the map.

Thoughts?
Why not insert a link to the house listing? No one, not even a vet, or someone looking at the location can predict the future. A 500 year flood could occur at any time, even two years in a row...not just one time every 500 years. You have to accept the fact that a flood is somewhat possible, but that would be much the same situation for any home that is located near a river or body of water. Be sure your homeowner's insurance covers flooding. Life is a series of circumstances and risks you have to learn to manage.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:10 PM

685 posts, read 768,432 times
I believe Zone X indicates that the property is between a 100-year and 500-year flood level. However, the elevation of your ground floor may be higher, e.g. house is elevated or on a hill.

There is a river gage upstream at Arnold on Lemay Ferry Rd: https://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydr...lsx&gage=arnm7 Looks like the all-time high there was recorded in 2015, when it was higher than '93.

If the property has a basement, that might be a good indicator of past problems or a high water table. Look for cracks, stains, and evidence that a sump is heavily used.

Old 10-21-2020, 08:39 PM

16,093 posts, read 10,762,339 times
It is good to be cautious but they probably would not build that development or ever get it approved if there was a serious threat. I worked as a city planner and there will be a flood plain manager (and review process) in the city or maybe county planning office that can answer questions and interpret the map. In '93 I lived near the Missouri River and the water appeared where you would never expect it. The problem then wasn't just the water but what was in it. I don't know enough about the area but I don't recall that there is industrial or chemical plants upstream that would create a hazard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: