Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:50 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERPE View Post
Hi, i will be visiting saint louis next week, i will be at Hyatt Regency Hotel, can someone give a picture of that part of the city, and what to visit, mainly on a walking distance from the hotel

Thanks in advance

European Tourist
Hyatt Regency? Which one? There are two of them downtown. Find out the address. One is a former Adam's Mark Hotel, near the baseball stadium. and near the Riverfront, and the other is in Union Station a former Railroad outpost that has been converted into touristy shops and restaurants, on Market St. I'm guessing yours is the former and not the latter.

I would visit the Arch grounds/Riverfront/Laclede's Landing. I would also visit Forest Park which is a few miles West, via public transportation. It's a 1300 acre Park, it's big, and contains museums, the zoo, outdoor Ampitheater of touring Broadway Shows, and lots of lakes, bike paths, running paths, a few tennis centers, 3 nine hole golf courses, etc.....That area is near the Central West End, and I'd go there as well. Use the Metrolink public light rail transit to get around. There are also cabs and busses too.

St. Louis is a spread out sprawling type lay out unlike Eurpope but it has neighborhoods that are interesting and walkable, downtown, Landing, Soulard, U City Loop, Central West End etc....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:08 PM

6 posts, read 12,453 times
the one at Union station

Thanks

Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERPE View Post
the one at Union station

Thanks
There is Metro Link light rail stop right there and that will help you get around to the other areas very easily.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
The last train from CWE to Union Station is at 12:30. As a typical rule that we usually follow, you need to get to whatever station you are at by 12:15 to make sure you catch a train that will get you back home. The typical "last train" runs around 1am, but they only go to certain stops.

For a city with so much soul, the trains sure do stop early
Well...you just describe much of the country, minus a few exceptions such as NYC, and maybe some of Chicago. D.C. Metro only runs late on Fri and Sat nights. Boston is no dice after your exampled time above as well on The T. Don't even think about Portland, who has nice public transit. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've been in D.C. or Boston and said "Bleep" it's Midnight, gotta go plan B to get to my next destination.

St. Louis' bigger problem is expanding Metro Link to include more parts of the city and suburbs.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:19 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,781,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishtacos View Post
Well...you just describe much of the country, minus a few exceptions such as NYC, and maybe some of Chicago. D.C. Metro only runs late on Fri and Sat nights. Boston is no dice after your exampled time above as well on The T. Don't even think about Portland, who has nice public transit. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've been in D.C. or Boston and said "Bleep" it's Midnight, gotta go plan B to get to my next destination.

St. Louis' bigger problem is expanding Metro Link to include more parts of the city and suburbs.
Well, to be honest, STL, Atlanta, Chicago, and Phoenix (developing) are the only cities I have spent time in that even have rail transportation. I'm not too well-traveled in the Northeast or Northwest. I think it would just be nice if all rails at least ran until 2 or 3. But yes, it would be great if STL were to expand the coverage. I'd love to see it at least go into south city. Being that I'm probably only going to be here 2 or 3 years however, I'll never see it ... but I can still talk about it lol .

Old 08-06-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscottscotto View Post
Well, to be honest, STL, Atlanta, Chicago, and Phoenix (developing) are the only cities I have spent time in that even have rail transportation. I'm not too well-traveled in the Northeast or Northwest. I think it would just be nice if all rails at least ran until 2 or 3. But yes, it would be great if STL were to expand the coverage. I'd love to see it at least go into south city. Being that I'm probably only going to be here 2 or 3 years however, I'll never see it ... but I can still talk about it lol .
NYC has the most comprehensive elaborate subway system in the country. It is by far the best, imo. D.C.'s is very good, efficent, clean, safe, etc...For a city it's size and for it's needs Portland has good public transit. Boston's T is solid, not one of my favorites but solid. Chicago has needed work and has been doing work on many lines in recent years causing some much longer times. It's also very solid transit. SF has okay public transit. Seattle's electric bus lines imo are very decent. Atlanta and Phoenix are laughable in comparison to these places in terms of public transit.

St. Louis is in its infancy stages of light rail transit, and like too many other things in St. Louis is takes a long time to accomplish development.

My response to you was that many places are in a similar situation to St. Louis and if you are seeking 2-3am light rail etc...St. Louis isn't some outcast, it merely is similar to most of the country by not having it.

I'd like to see a much bigger emphasis on public transit and the light rail system in St. Louis, and hope that it becomes a reality. Too many St. Louisans love their cars and the sprawl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis