Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 08:41 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,295 times

Advertisements

I went ahead and got another interview with a company in St. Louis. This one is in the city proper, right next for Forest Park, so a much better location than St. Charles for a young single professional like myself.

Anyway, I'll be in St. Louis for the interview in a few weeks, and will likely have a few hours in the afternoon and evening to kill in the area. I've been to Forest Park and the Botanical Gardens before, but it was many years ago when I was a kid. Basically, I'd like to see the highlights the area has to offer (as I may end up living there), within a few hours. I'll have my car so getting around won't be an issue. Any cool places I can grab dinner at? I'd prefer somewhere that I can eat at the bar, as I'll be by myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 01:58 AM

200 posts, read 633,008 times
Check out the Art Museum or the quality Zoo that's near by that's free!

Old 11-25-2008, 11:30 AM

57 posts, read 186,909 times
There is Pat's restaurant on Oakland across from the Turtle Park.

Old 11-25-2008, 02:01 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,804,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
I went ahead and got another interview with a company in St. Louis. This one is in the city proper, right next for Forest Park, so a much better location than St. Charles for a young single professional like myself.

Anyway, I'll be in St. Louis for the interview in a few weeks, and will likely have a few hours in the afternoon and evening to kill in the area. I've been to Forest Park and the Botanical Gardens before, but it was many years ago when I was a kid. Basically, I'd like to see the highlights the area has to offer (as I may end up living there), within a few hours. I'll have my car so getting around won't be an issue. Any cool places I can grab dinner at? I'd prefer somewhere that I can eat at the bar, as I'll be by myself.
If you are seeking in and near Forest Park and nothing else:

What kind of food do you like to eat and what kind of atmosphere are you seeking? Examples: Dive Bar with some tv's, eat at bar, Tom's Bar and Grill at Forest Park Pkwy and Euclid, or if you seek Southwestern, Tortillaria, on Euclid, Racanelli's can get you NY style pizza by the slice next door to Tortillaria, or down the street a few blocks North you'll run into Llewelleyn's another bar food place. There are plenty of other choices all in the same neighborhood. All of these are in the Central West End, East of the Park.

You can eat at the Boathouse itself, in Forest Park. If you go to the West end of park, on Skinker, and head a couple of blocks North to Delmar, you land right in the center of several Asian options, and as you head West on Delmar several things will pop up. Blueberry Hill has solid bar food and good atmosphere. This area is called "The Loop" and is in University City/U. City.

If you are near the Botanical Gardens, head South through the park on Morgan Ford. Three Monkeys has solid pub grub.

Old 11-25-2008, 06:04 PM

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to check out the art museum too.

I may check out the pizza place, as a good slice is hard to find in Texas. Or I may come back to this thread and pick one out that sounds good according to what I'm in the mood for at the time, haha.

Old 11-26-2008, 12:04 PM

50 posts, read 151,705 times
Definitely take a drive up Delmar to the Loop. You could eat at a number of places (Blueberry, Ciceros, Riddles and Fitz's being my favs).

Old 11-26-2008, 04:46 PM

69 posts, read 176,560 times
I don't know your religious preference, but the Cathedral on Lindell Blvd is absolutely beautiful. They have guided tours in the mornings, but you can go at anytime and just walk through the church- its the largest collection of mosaic art in the world and it is wonderful. They also have a little museum about the construction of the Cathedral and the history of Catholicism in St. Louis in the basement of the church, i think it costs a dollar to get in. Definitely worth seeing if you are interested in art or religion!

Old 12-30-2008, 09:14 PM

Ended up grabbing some pizza at Dewey's in U. City. The interview went late (which was good because it went well!) so I didn't have a time to check out any of the museums, besides a quick drive around Forest Park and U. City. I've been to a few concerts at the Pageant but it's been a few years since I'd been around there. Overall I really liked the area and think I could definitely live there.

Old 12-30-2008, 09:51 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OA 5599 View Post
Ended up grabbing some pizza at Dewey's in U. City. The interview went late (which was good because it went well!) so I didn't have a time to check out any of the museums, besides a quick drive around Forest Park and U. City. I've been to a few concerts at the Pageant but it's been a few years since I'd been around there. Overall I really liked the area and think I could definitely live there.
Congrats, and here's hoping best for ya...

Old 01-01-2009, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
Congrats, and here's hoping best for ya...
Thanks! The job market is a little rough right now but I'm having decent luck in my search, and my fingers are crossed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis