Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,594,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Absolutely not. The St Louis city schools wouldn't be a problem if that were the case.
...That's been determined... a few months ago.
And i'm in the SLPS at the best rated public school in the state, so not all city school are bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 12:41 PM

419 posts, read 1,333,116 times
St Louis public schools are "free" to those who pay taxes in that district. That being said, as U City is primarily a citizen based tax system (with little commercial)... note that your annual taxes are much higher than several other districts with higher statistics!

Old 02-18-2013, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 2,406 times
LOL. Only free public school in Ladue or Clayton if you move to Ladue or Clayton. If you join us in U City you can enjoy a fine FREE education for your children with the taxes you are already paying or you can pay more than double (taxes plus exorbitant private school tuition) for the secure feeling that you are guaranteeing your children the best (which very well may not be true). IMHO, much of the negative take on U City schools relates to the fact many of the wealthier white families here would just kind of feel more comfortable if their kids weren't in a racial minority at school. In fact, that is a wonderful experience that sets them up for lifelong empathy and true racial equality. Here's what I wrote elsewhere: "I have three kids, ages 24, 20, and 15. All attended U City schools throughout, starting at Jackson Park (last is a freshman at the high school). We had a good experience throughout. No bullying [this was raised in the other thread]. Races do mix socially, especially for kids involved in athletics or other activities [ditto]. At the high school, interest in and support for arts is impressive, with students packing the auditorium for dance concerts and poetry slams, and the community coming out for spring musicals. My daughter attended a well-reputed liberal arts college and was well prepared by U City Schools for the work there, graduating Phi Beta Kappa and moving on to the top graduate program in her field. It is not perfect and perhaps not equally good for all kids, but when it comes to college admissions I assure you UCHS is known and its students desired because admissions officers know they have had experience mixing with a lot of different people and have had a pretty challenging academic program if they have taken honors and AP courses." A closing anecdote: My daughter was not interested in a certain college because it was "too white." That told me she had absorbed the value of diversity in a way no formal diversity training class could!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis