Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2009, 02:27 PM

6 posts, read 14,107 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning a 2-3 get away to St. Louis in mid June 09. I am planning on bidding on Priceline for lodging and think I will choose their "Clayton/Forest Park" neighborhood thinking it will be a bit cheaper than downtown and will most likely have free hotel parking (I don't like paying $10-$25 a night to park at my hotel).

Is this area considered safe? It isn't too far from most of the things we will be doing and as I said we have a car. Thanks for any tips. If there is another area outside of downtown that isn't too far out feel free to recommend.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2009, 02:58 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,064,053 times
Clayton/Forest Park is defintely a good area and one you would probably want to spend a lot of time in as a visitor anyway. Forest Park houses many of the city's visitor attractions. Clayton is a destination for shopping and entertainment too.

Old 04-20-2009, 10:08 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,661,484 times
There is a Hampton Inn that is right by forest park. The holiday Inn is further down and a little old. The cheshire is in that area, it is different. my kids didn't like staying there..said it smelled old! Our son is a student at Wash U and we LOVE staying on the campus in the Knight Center. the accomodations there are great.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:11 PM

1,869 posts, read 5,812,021 times
Yes it's safe and centrally located close to downtown. Re-post when you have the specific name and location of the hotel in which you are staying for more info.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:56 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,015,350 times
Stay away from Hilton at the Ballpark. I stayed there over the last weekend and did not have a good experience. They charge you for everything and dont even tell you it cost anything. I had to dispute about $75 in charges off my bill. I will never stay there again which is disappointing because it is a great location and has an excellent view of the ballpark.

Old 04-21-2009, 04:22 PM

287 posts, read 1,088,162 times
There's also a new Drury on Hampton on the south corner of Forest Park. Not sure if that would come up in a "Forest Park/Clayton" search on priceline though....try hotwire too. We always get better deals there

Old 04-22-2009, 04:28 AM

150 posts, read 352,392 times
That area is safe and it's fun to be walking distance from the park, but you may still need to pay for parking.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:25 PM

6 posts, read 14,107 times
Default union station

We ended up deciding to stay downtown. We tried priceline 3.5 stars hoping for the Crowne Plaza but were upgraded to 4 star Marriott Union Station. It looks like a nice property but I am not that crazy about the location. Couldn't beat the price though. Just wondering, will it be safe to walk from Busch Stadium to my hotel after a night game?

Old 04-27-2009, 04:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,858,478 times
By the way, last I checked the Downtown Hilton (not Hilton at the Ballpark) starts at $85/night. We didn't pick it because it would charge extra per person.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,352,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illiniguy99 View Post
My wife and I are planning a 2-3 get away to St. Louis in mid June 09. I am planning on bidding on Priceline for lodging and think I will choose their "Clayton/Forest Park" neighborhood thinking it will be a bit cheaper than downtown and will most likely have free hotel parking (I don't like paying $10-$25 a night to park at my hotel).

Is this area considered safe? It isn't too far from most of the things we will be doing and as I said we have a car. Thanks for any tips. If there is another area outside of downtown that isn't too far out feel free to recommend.

Several issues :

1) In the Forest Park/Clayton bidding zone, the Sheraton comes up most often and they charge you for parking ($10). Parking on the street is available but meters are strictly enforced.

2) Many DT hotels charge for parking (but not all). The 3* hotels at the airport generally are the cheapest BUT they also charge for parking. You can easily take Metrolink from the airport to downtown easily.

3) The BEST DEALS are in the West St. Louis zone BUT that will work easily ONLY when I-40/64 reopens.

4) If you are planning to be in town on a Cardinals game weekend, especially if the Cubs are in town, book something refundable NOW as the city sells out.

For the record, I was a hotel manager in an earlier life, have over 100+ successful Priceline bids, at least 25 in St. Louis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis