Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 03:35 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times

Advertisements

...right behind New Orleans:

New Orleans again nation's murder capital

Quote:
with 64 killings per 100,000 people in 2008, New Orleans had the highest per capita murder rate in the nation, well ahead of second-place St. Louis, which had 47 murders per 100,000 people.
Fortunately, homicides are down a bit compared to last year in St. Louis so far this year.

Was there a gang war or something in 2008 that fizzled out? 47 homicides per 100,000 is catastrophically high compared to the national average of 5.6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 04:24 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
Holy Smokes! What has happened to my home town?

Old 06-02-2009, 04:34 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,926,489 times
The homicides are not rampant throughout the whole city but more in a few areas on the North side. In terms of big cities, I consider STL a rather safe city.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:25 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,291,575 times
In Pictures: America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

st.louis is not even in the top 15 most dangerous cities in the U.S.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:26 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,827,879 times
From what I've seen, neighborhood makes a big difference. Some neighborhoods are fine and others are bad.

I'm sure a lot are gang killings also, not that that makes it better.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:50 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,562,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCity09 View Post
In Pictures: America's Most Dangerous Cities - Forbes.com

st.louis is not even in the top 15 most dangerous cities in the U.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brickmama
In terms of big cities, I consider STL a rather safe city.
It's worth noting that the Forbes list considers a city's entire MSA in their tabulation. When St. Louis by itself is considered, it is the 4th most dangerous city in the U.S., behind only New Orleans, Camden, NJ and Detroit. (http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/City...8_Rank_Rev.pdf)

Of course that doesn't mean that every part of St. Louis is "bad" or "unsafe". But if terms such as "safe" and "unsafe" can be applied to cities as a whole, then St. Louis would most certainly fall into the former category. When the company you keep includes New Orleans and Detroit, that's not good.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 PM

1,183 posts, read 2,145,461 times
Since this same argument arises every freaking time that new murder/violent crime stats like this come out, let me explain why they are patently unfair.

The city of Houston is considered to be 601.7 sq miles. There were 379 murders in Houston in 2006.

St. Louis City is 66.2 sq miles. There were 129 murders in St. Louis City in 2006.
St. Louis County is 524 sq mi. I can't find the 2006 stats specifically, but in 2000 there were 31 murders in St. Louis County.

If you combined the two, you would have an area a little smaller than the CITY of Houston: 590.2 sq miles. And you would have 160 murders in that area. And that would be 219 less than the equally-sized city of Houston. The entire state of Missouri had less murders than the city of Houston in 2006.

Comparing cities to each other based purely on the area that is considered to be the city proper is ridiculous and senseless. The city of Dallas is considered to be 997 sq freakin' miles. Phoenix, AZ is 517. Los Angeles is 498. I could go on.

I don't deny that there is a serious violent crime issue in St. Louis -- particularly in North St. Louis, as any murder map will tell you -- but it's an epidemic that is common to most American cities and it's blown out of proportion by this absurdly skewed manner of presenting the facts.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:13 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
47 murders per 100,000 people is still a high murder rate no matter what the square miles. One of the areas in which I lived as a child is now considered a dangerous area. A few years ago I attempted to drive back to our former home and was disheartened at the devastation of the homes and stores. The people 'living' there now are so depressed. No grocery stores, no drug stores, no theaters, nothing there any longer that would provide any substantial living condition. Jobs so scarce. Boarded up buildings. Vacant lots.

As children, my cousins and I would/could walk the street to the local theater and home again without any worries or concerns of being attacked. Actually, I don't remember any time that we ever were afraid. That thought never even crossed our minds. Now, I would not even drive an automobile through the neighborhood on a Sunday afternoon. My hometown has changed and it is sad.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:09 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,438,214 times
That's such a shame, Northwoods Voyager. The area I grew up in in University City, went through a phase like that. I would drive past my old house and all the houses in the neighborhood had bars on all the doors and windows, and my old grade school, Greensfelder Park, was boarded up for decades.

About 15 years ago (??) I decided to drive through for old time's sake again, and I was stunned at how it had utterly transformed. No more bars on the houses, lawns trim and landscaped, "islands" in the roads planted with beautiful flowers, and my old school renovated and turned into a community center. It was incredible to see!

I sure hope your old neighborhood can become revitalized, too.

Old 06-02-2009, 11:47 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,573,062 times
I doubt it Jill61. I googled the area and spent some time going through the visual tour. It is worse now than before. I imagine it will stay in this deplorable condition for many years to come until the politicians get their act together and assist in developing areas such as this with neighborhood revitalization as opposed to hand outs.

I firmly believe that those citizens need the opportunity to work and support themselves thereby increasing their self esteem and self worth. This in turn would benefit the neighborhoods and hopefully spread from one street to the next and on and on. To witness the transformation that you have observed in your former neighborhood. That is splendid indeed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis