Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 09:56 PM

7 posts, read 19,920 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving there in a few weeks (single 34 year old male) and have been able to check out some apartments but was really hoping for some helpful thoughts and opinions.

I am having a hard time deciding between Soulard and Central West End. Has anyone on here lived at both and have thoughts? I have found places that are acceptable to me at both locations but just having a hard time on pulling the trigger on one. Which of these two areas would you choose and why?

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 10:05 PM

1,912 posts, read 4,688,883 times
Both are pretty great, and I've considered Soulard + have lived in the CWE. Easy access to the MetroLink sells me on the CWE every time. If this doesn't matter to you at all, it's even more of a toss up, in my opinion. Mardi Gras celebrations that occur in Soulard once a year are another random consideration. Some people love it, some hate it.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:11 AM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,727 times
It's hard to go wrong with either location.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:48 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Central West End has a metrolink stop, high end shopping, and is right next to Forest Park, Grand Center and Clayton. You could go carless here if you really wanted to and it wouldn't be too much of a hardship.

Soulard is right next to downtown, Lafayette Square, and Benton Park. You'll need a car to live here but it isn't far from a lot of places you're likely to go. It's probably a tad cheaper and you are likely to get a place with more character than in the CWE.

Both are dynamic, fun, and young neighborhoods and I honestly think you'd be happy with either. If public transit is a big deal go with the CWE, if not, you'll get a better deal with Soulard. Or flip a coin

Old 04-23-2010, 07:05 AM

7 posts, read 19,920 times
Thanks everyone,

One follow up question...Is Soulard mostly people straight out of college or is there a good mix of people in their late 20s-early 40's? I don't mind being around some early 20s folk but don't want to be the only person over 30 in the Neighborhood.

Also, downtown looks close but I have heard from friends that their are some really bad areas between soulard and downtown. Would it be safe to say that I would probably need to drive or take a cab if I wanted to go hangout at a game or event downtown?

I am starting to feel like I'll end up just flipping a coin...

Old 04-23-2010, 07:26 AM

There is some public housing between Soulard and Downtown that you might want to be wary of walking at night. However you can avoid that by walking broadway. I've made the walk from the ballpark south on broadway to Soulard dozens of times and I wouldn't think twice about it. If there is a game going on there are too many people around for an incident.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:31 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
I think your friends are referring to the Clinton Peabody projects, which you don't even have to go by to walk to downtown from Soulard. Besides, I bike commute to work on occasion and I go right through the middle of those projects down 14th street and have had zero problems going through there. I think a lot of it is perception.

I always see a lot of people jogging up and down Tucker, 7th, and Broadway, which are the best ways to get into downtown from Soulard. And it's really only a 10 minute jog/20 minute walk (if that) and depending on where you are in Soulard. Oh and I should mention that probably half the bars on Soulard run free shuttles to and from Cardinals games and other downtown events. Just something to keep in mind

Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 AM

1,563 posts, read 3,873,079 times
You can't go wrong with the CWE or Soulard. Soulard is more laid back, CWE is more upscale.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:42 PM

Instead of a coin flip, I would drive around (or better yet hoof it) each neighborhood in both the day and early evening and see which vibe you like best. Both historic neighborhoods are gorgeous.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:36 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,593,737 times
The Central West End is the showcase neighborhood of St. Louis. No disrespect to Soulard, which is a fabulous neighborhood, but CWE is perfect. I would love to live in that area (although i'm plenty happy with where I am now). I'd say CWE > Soulard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis