Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:00 AM

58 posts, read 135,024 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what you guys thought of Carlyle Lake? Its 50 miles east of St Louis in Illinois and its a 26000 acre man-made lake. Is there any culture around it? Is there a big beach scene in St. Louis? It doesn't strike me as the type. Carlyle Lake does have swimming beaches, but the water doesn't have that pristine blue look to it. I wouldn't mind sailing though.

I think it has potential to be a nice destination for St Louis but I've never heard anyone mention it in my short time here. Is there a lot of development boardwalks near it? Lake of the Ozarks seems very touristy by contrast.

It seems to have fishing and sailing and a beach, but I think it would be nice to have a gleaming white cottage there with a beautiful kitchen on the waterfront. Why isn't it more promoted by St. Louis? Its within the metro area albeit metro-east (clinton county) I think it would be nice to have an Hamptons-esque getaway made affordable by virtue of living in the midwest.

http://www.carlylelake.com/photos/Lo...e%20Cabins.jpg

Carlyle Lake Beach

It has 11,000 acres of land, I don't think it would be such a bad idea to develop a "scene" there. It would be a selling point for St Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:08 AM

58 posts, read 135,024 times
Site Title

Old 05-20-2010, 05:28 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,893,477 times
You're right...it certainly isn't on my radar and it looks like it's worth checking out.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:47 AM

529 posts, read 1,011,007 times
There is just something about the IL lakes that I am not wild about. Maybe because they are shallower and usually less clear than the lakes on the MO side south of the Missouri River? The Ozarks have some of the clearest and cleanest water in the US so I guess we are spoiled.

That said I like the links that you posted and I may have to check that lake out this summer. I just got a new kayak and I can't wait to try it out.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:21 AM

165 posts, read 452,327 times
I've never been to Carlisle, but Lake Shelbyville (a little north and east) is very nice. The town of Shelbyville at the southern end of the lake is a cute little town with a nice little downtown area. No boardwalks to speak of, though.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,027,532 times
I guess you have never been to the Hamptons.

Lake Carlyse (nice as it is/and definately worth checking out) is probably closer to Lake George or one of the Finger lakes in upstate NY (I'm thinking Seneca and Cayuga).

Try your Kayak on the Meramec River

Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM

161 posts, read 241,379 times
Having to use carlyle a few times a year due to the river being high i can tell you its basicly a mud pit. Nothing wrong with it as stated above its just shallow and muddy. And when the wind picks up you are in for quite a ride.

There is really only one beach for swimming and its usually full of hoosiers.

Nothing as far a decent lodging goes except for a few cabins they rent on the water and they are very expensive. Besides that there is a Mcdonalds and a few gas stations etc and thats about it. Its in the middle of nowhere.

Thats said it serves its purpose when there is flooding in Grafton!

Old 05-20-2010, 02:53 PM

529 posts, read 1,011,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
Try your Kayak on the Meramec River
Will do. Try taking your antidepressants on a regular schedule.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:08 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,603,920 times
^You sure do like to stir the pot.

Most of the big money is at Lake of the Ozarks. Nothing on the scale of the Hamptons but multi million dollar homes and boats are not uncommon. It's pretty much the playground for the rich KC and STL crowd as well as the layman.
I think there is some big money out at InnsBrook but I've never been personally.

I'm going to make it a point to check out Lake C this summer.

Last edited by moorlander; 05-21-2010 at 01:18 PM..

Old 05-21-2010, 01:32 PM

1,563 posts, read 3,878,708 times
^
My parents live in Porta Cima, which IMO is the best golf course in the state. Innsbrook is also nice, as well as Four Seasons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Missouri > St. Louis
View detailed profiles of: