Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 04:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefoxwarrior View Post
Did you even watch the video? The physician did not mention any specific brand of coconut oil at all. He was simply explaining why coconut oil's saturated fat content is not necessarily cause for alarm, and how it has health benefits if taken regularly, and how hydrogenated oils/trans fats are much bigger threats to one's health. I don't see how any of that is a marketing ploy, or contraindicated by information readily available elsewhere. I posted simply because it offered a fairly succinct explanation of the saturated fat content that I found to be entirely credible.
No, I didn't link to it. I don't link to Mercola. They track your clicks and have been known to link to phishing sites. I didn't say the *video* is trying to sell you anything. The website itself - is a conspiracy theorist political propaganda marketing device.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 03:42 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick
No, I didn't link to it. I don't link to Mercola. They track your clicks and have been known to link to phishing sites. I didn't say the *video* is trying to sell you anything. The website itself - is a conspiracy theorist political propaganda marketing device.
Thats why you should always CLEAR COOKIES afrer visiting that site Anon

Old 02-19-2013, 05:32 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Really? I get the newsletter 3-4x/week and haven't noticed anything strange. I would imagine that Mercola is trying to make a living just like everyone else and if he's doing it by urging folks to eat real food instead of laboratory created products then more power to him. Yeah and I learned about high intensity interval training and the proper technique for lifting weights from him too---a real nutjob. I was first alerted to the fact that most of us are deficient in vitamin D and learned about the symptoms of a low B-12 level and both of those articles helped me quite a lot as it turns out that I am also deficient in both of those and many others in my family are deficient in B-12 as well. Do I agree with everything he says? Of course not but I don't know anyone that I agree with 100%. So why don't you tell me what the conspiracy is and what the political party is and what Mercola is trying to sell beyond a few vitamin pills, which btw, I have never purchased but I still get the newsletter for free.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:29 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Really? I get the newsletter 3-4x/week and haven't noticed anything strange. I would imagine that Mercola is trying to make a living just like everyone else and if he's doing it by urging folks to eat real food instead of laboratory created products then more power to him. Yeah and I learned about high intensity interval training and the proper technique for lifting weights from him too---a real nutjob. I was first alerted to the fact that most of us are deficient in vitamin D and learned about the symptoms of a low B-12 level and both of those articles helped me quite a lot as it turns out that I am also deficient in both of those and many others in my family are deficient in B-12 as well. Do I agree with everything he says? Of course not but I don't know anyone that I agree with 100%. So why don't you tell me what the conspiracy is and what the political party is and what Mercola is trying to sell beyond a few vitamin pills, which btw, I have never purchased but I still get the newsletter for free.
He's a marketing marvel.

The Mercola Clickbank Affiliate Program

Read the comments here:

Joe Mercola: 15 years of promoting quackery – Respectful Insolence

He manages to mix a few reasonable sounding dietary tidbits with all sorts of woo, from vaccine misinformation to promotion of often contradictory cancer cures. He promotes thermography --- which does not work --- as an alternative to mammography. He sells a mammography device. He sells tanning beds. He sells about $7 million worth of stuff per year.

Dr. Mercola: Visionary or Quack? - Chicago magazine - February 2012 - Chicago

And because some of what he says is so reasonable, people tend to believe the garbage, too, if they do not have a background in science that helps them tell the good stuff from the dreck.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:35 PM

797 posts, read 1,344,622 times
coconut oil = a fad that gets its 15 minutes of fame

Old 02-20-2013, 12:36 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
[Mercola] promotes thermography --- which does not work --- as an alternative to mammography. He sells a mammography device.
Oops, that should be thermography device.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:34 PM

316 posts, read 660,857 times
No need to supplement with coconut oil, just use it to cook with!

Old 02-28-2013, 03:48 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
I know my mom has used coconut oil for frying on rare occasions. It makes pretty good fries. Can't complain.

It has been shown to have some excellent properties for protecting and cleaning teeth as well as other benefits. But like most things it's no miracle cure for anything.

Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
No need to supplement with coconut oil, just use it to cook with!
It's great for scrambling eggs, stir-frying, etc., far better than olive oil when high heat is involved. My husband likes it on toast almost as much as he likes butter.
And it's the best body moisturizer I've found to date.

I do oil-pulling with coconut oil because I love how it cleans my teeth and soothes my gums! Nothing magic or miraculous about it, it's like my mouth is a little washing machine and the coconut oil is the "detergent". Lauric acid, found abundantly in coconut oil, is a popular acid used in detergents and hand soaps. That it *may* have anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties is a bonus, but even if not, the mechanical cleansing aspect works well for me. My last 2 dental check-ups (after starting oil-pulling) have been the best I've ever had.

My vet recommended I add 1/2 tsp a day to my elderly cat's food, and also that I apply it lightly to his fur when I groom him. I've been doing so for about 6 months now, and his digestive health and his coat are markedly better. I had previously tried olive oil, but he didn't like the flavor or scent. He loves the coconut oil.

Old 03-04-2013, 06:52 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
This is a good thread. As a 60's age male, I started using Coconut Oil late last year and have seen some improvements about myself. I don't recall how I got into using Coconut Oil but I did my research and made my choices. I've found three brands that I prefer, Nutiva, Dr. Bronner's, and a third I just don't recall. But they're each about nine or ten bucks a quart jar, and VIRGIN, or expeller pressed, or cold pressed.

I use Coconut Oil in all my cooking, no longer using any other oil. Oils have triglycerides and most oils are LONGchain triglycerides. Coconut Oil in a MEDIUMchain tryglyceride and is more easily processed by the innards. I use it for my morning egg. In the winter I eat a lot of soup so put Coconut Oil in my soup. Sometimes I'll spread it on cookies though I try to stay away from cookies. I use it to bake banana bread, or melt it over the top of just cooked banana bread. I sometimes melt the stuff and spread over a salad, with coconut chips and/or crushed walnuts.

The best part is using Coconut milk, or cream. I've also used the Coconut cream in place of milk for baking. But years ago I gave up on cereal as diary milk just didn't like for me to drink it. I discovered Coconut Milk and now I can hardly stay away from the cereal. Some cereals are really great with the Coconut cream. Maybe with some cinnamon.

So, biscuitmom, I've never heard of oil-pulling. Looked it up and I'm going to give it a try.

And SouthernBelle, and skepta, I also like the piracetam. Also use Noopept and like it too.

All the above largely because my mom went Alzheimer's several years ago, and has since moved on to the other world. I have many traits much like mom, so feel the promise of a dismal future to be avoided.

http://www.organicfacts.net/organic-...conut-oil.html

Last edited by Willsson; 03-04-2013 at 07:30 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements