Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:56 PM

264 posts, read 303,646 times

Advertisements

Whats that about, I've never heard of K2..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 08:47 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,831,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11jay11 View Post
Whats that about, I've never heard of K2..?
I had never heard of it until someone mentioned it last year. It goes with calcium. Calcium is absorbed better into the bones with vitamin K2. There are other co-factors that help with calcium absorption, like magnesium and D3.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24089220

Vitamin K2 ? A Little-Known Nutrient Can Make a Big Difference in Heart and Bone Health

Old 12-08-2016, 09:04 PM

264 posts, read 303,646 times
Nice links, thanks.

Old 12-08-2016, 09:31 PM

37,278 posts, read 41,495,400 times
Vitamin K | Linus Pauling Institute | Oregon State University

Old 12-09-2016, 08:09 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
That would potentially kill some people, like one of my family that is on blood thinners for a blood clot. People should not follow the advice of a TV doctor without checking with their own first.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:42 PM

166 posts, read 241,710 times
People, including physicians, are learning about the benefits of Vitamin K2. Much research has been published in the last several years. It is important to note that there are two different forms of K2: menaquinone-4 (MK-4) and menaquinone-7 (MK-7). Virtually all of the recent research and all of health benefits involve MK-7. The science is very detailed / specific but MK-4 has not been shown to have the same cardiovascular benefits as MK-7! As with many supplements there are a variety of qualities in the market. Without getting into the details there is only one brand that has both top quality and clinical studies supporting its use. The brand is called MenaQ7 and is available from a variety of marketing companies.

As noted in a previous post - if you are taking coumadin talk with your doc before taking any vitamin k supplement! K2 may not interfere with some of the more recently introduced blood thinners but you should still check first.

Old 03-13-2017, 06:12 AM

15,949 posts, read 12,351,216 times
Another supplement Glucosamine/Chondroitin, can also achieve some of vitamin K2's benefits while providing a whole host of other anti-aging benefits to the body. I recently added it to my circulation while removing Vitamin K2 as I believe it's not entirely necessary.

It's possible large doses of Chondroitin Sulfate can clear arteries and reverse heart disease.. the evidence is as least as convincing as the evidence K2 can do it. Smaller doses work too if you take them long enough.

Cheapest way to supplement is to buy the 2 packs from wally-fart and take 2 to 4 per day. Glucosamine has it's own host of benefits to the body.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:44 AM

776 posts, read 960,778 times
stockwiz

The American Arthritis Foundation says that .....

This combination may bring modest relief "for some patients " while others found no positive effect at all.

Here is the link. I would believe extensive scientific testing, over anecdotal stories, any day.

link. Glucosamine and Chrondroitin for Arthritis

Maple Guy.

Old 03-19-2017, 05:31 PM

10,372 posts, read 10,734,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
Another supplement Glucosamine/Chondroitin, can also achieve some of vitamin K2's benefits while providing a whole host of other anti-aging benefits to the body. I recently added it to my circulation while removing Vitamin K2 as I believe it's not entirely necessary.

It's possible large doses of Chondroitin Sulfate can clear arteries and reverse heart disease.. the evidence is as least as convincing as the evidence K2 can do it. Smaller doses work too if you take them long enough.

Cheapest way to supplement is to buy the 2 packs from wally-fart and take 2 to 4 per day. Glucosamine has it's own host of benefits to the body.
None of this is true. Where did you come up with this?

Glucosamine and chondroitin have been around for decades for joint pain. There is no evidence it works but some people believe it helps them. There are no other potential benefits from taking either supplement.

Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 PM

166 posts, read 241,710 times
The use of K2 - specifically MenaQ7 brand of vitamin K2 as MK-7 - has shown dramatic positive effects for cardiovascular health. In this published study: Knapen MHJ, Braam LAJL, Drummen NE, Bekers O, Hoeks APG, Vermeer C. Menaquinone-7 supplementation improves arterial stiffness in healthy postmenopausal women: double-blind randomised clinical trial. Thromb Haemost 2015 May: 19:113(5) - Scientists at the University of Maastricht (the Netherlands) performed a double-blind, randomized study of 244 postmenopausal women given either 180 mcg of Vitamin K2 as MK-7 (as MenaQ7® by NattoPharma) or a placebo daily for 3 years. This study showed that 3-year supplementation with a daily, nutritional dose (180 mcg) of MenaQ7® was enough to actually decreased arterial stiffness in healthy post-menopausal women!

Additional CV research is ongoing on this ingredient. As stated before - if you take coumadin do not use this supplement without consulting your physician first.

Respectfully I don't think you will find similar (or any for that matter) CV support / research on glucosamine or chondroitin. I have been wrong before (just ask my wife) so if you know of studies please provide the references.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements