Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 08:43 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times

Advertisements

I'm taking Vitamin D as well as the B complex. D will keep you from getting as sick as people who don't take it. Also, it's good for the heart and bones, and has a role in keeping cancer at bay. 2000 IU is a safe dosage. B is good for arteries, among other things.

These days, many people are not in the sun enough to get enough vitamin D. Kids especially are at risk because they are playing video games instead of playing outside. Their bones are growing very fast, so it's important for them to get enough D. I've read that some kids are already more prone to bone breakage due to thinner bones, partly because they are drinking less milk and getting less sun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2009, 09:08 AM

7,129 posts, read 12,670,656 times
Good advice from folks here.

I second the advice on Calcium with Vitamin D, Vitamin C, a good B complex, a good multi and then extras for specific conditions--Garlic or Hawthorne for high blood pressure, flax or Evening Primrose Oil for fibrocystic breasts, Saw Palmetto for prostate health, Fish oil for arthritis and inflammation, calcium, magnesium, potassium for insomnia, smokers benefit from Vitamin A and lots of C, and so on...buy a good book on vitamins and minerals to learn more. Fascinating to see what vitamin/mineral benefits what aspect of your health...

If you're already taking prescribed medications, it's smart to consult with a doctor who has an integrative or holistic focus to find out more---it's easy to self-prescribe but don't forget some supplements can intefere with prescription medications so it pays to consult with a health professional...

Little Dolphin
Writer-for-Hire
Advertising, PR/Web/Editing

Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 AM

117 posts, read 334,648 times
I posted a similar question in another thread (re: "babyboomers"). This is what I take. I get the following from Puritans Pride:

C-Time 1500
E-1000
SAM-e 200 (this is expensive & I'm out now)
D 1000
St. John's Wort 300
Fish Oil 1200
Silymarin Mike Thistle 1000
Folic Acid 400
Glucosamine 750/Chondroitin 600
Ginkgo Biloba 120
CO-Q-10 100
I'm out now, but usually also do garlic & parsley and B complex

I take two each of these every day or two (sometimes I forget) and double up on the C. I also want to do something with cherries or cherry extract.

I also take Melatonin, 3 mg. before bedtime, drink distilled water, and do a lot of caffeine-free green tea with a vegan diet heavy on brown rice, rice milk, and no animal products. Lots of organic veggies and fruit, no white sugar, white flour. I try to minimally expose to chemicals.

And you have to move and stretch your body, too; if you haven't done it for a while, start with water aerobics and beginning yoga. People are regularly living to be over 100, might as well be healthy.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM

117 posts, read 334,648 times
To add my health stuff in, and listen -- I'm not going to argue about animal rights, PETA, gun control, stem cell research, etc., -- but when we eat the SAD (standard American diet), it makes us sick. Too much fat, too much protein, sugars, chemicals.

The mainstream media is finally catching up with all the health nuts who have been saying this for decades.

If you drop all the ap-cray out of your diet, you will drop 50 lbs. (if you need to) in a few months. And you eat MORE. Dr. John McDougal and the heart doctor, can't remember his name, or any number of vegan or vegetarian sites will be happy to help. Or read that book Skinny *****.

Old 01-27-2009, 05:47 AM

931 posts, read 3,803,762 times
You should be taking 0 vitamins.

You should be eating the following:

Spinach
Tomatoes
Carrots
Portobella Mushrooms
Zucchini
Squash
Cabbage
Onion
Broccoli
Corn
Red Bell Pepper

Blueberries
Strawberries
Raspberries
Kiwi
Pears & Apples

Lots of oatmeal! (old fashion kid, or steel cut oats)
Sweet potatoes
100% whole wheat whole grain bread
almonds & walnuts

Salmon
Tilapia
Tuna
Turkey
Chicken Breasts

Black beans!
Kidney beans!

You should cook with olive oil!

Skim Fat Free Milk
Mozzarella Cheese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements