Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:58 AM

142 posts, read 999,542 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what vitamin is good to take for hair that splits and breaks off? Would a multi vitamin help? This is happening to both my daughters and I. We were living in a dry climate, so I thought that was the problem, now we are in Houston and still having the problem.. I figured we are lacking some vitamin. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 10:10 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Well houston would still be dry to me!

Its a combo of what you use on your hair and what you eat.
So what do you use to wash and style it?

Foodwise get something with biotin. When you take your vitamin eat it with something that has fat like beef etc. It makes a bigger difference than just a plain multivitamin.
Here is a good write up on it:
Vitamins for Your Hair

If you smoke stop. It was crazy how much better my hair and fuller my hair has gotton since I quit.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:22 PM

I was using salon products, but not seeing much of a difference, so back to herbal essance. I do not smoke. I will try the biotin. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2008, 08:50 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
B vites and silica. I've been taking those whole food vitamins and my hair has gotten really full and springy.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:15 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times
Redken CAT Protien treatment is wonderful.

A multi-vitamin would be helpful. Hair can only really absorb protien. Everything else coats it.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:27 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Once hair leaves the hair follicle, it's dead! Keep your hair trimmed, and use a good moisturizing conditioner! Try never to brush wet hair (use a wide-toothed comb) and go easy on the heat-styling! Good luck!

Old 11-18-2008, 09:06 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Shampoo is extremely drying to the hair,and strips away your natural oils. Try using the TEENIEST amount possible, and just massage the root area, this is plenty. Also, do not wash every day, try to wash only two-three times a week. Follow up with a cold vinegar rinse - I put about 1/4 cup vinegar in a 2 cup measuring cup and fill with water, pour over hair and leave in a couple minutes then a quick rinseout. Believe it or not this will leave your hair very shiny and untangly.

You may also want to try hot oil treatments - olive oil is a good one. And if you are using styling products or dye, stop now, those are toxic and weaken the hair. These tips have helped me immensely.

One last note - hard water with chemicals is very hard on the hair - if you have a lot of minerals in your water it can be damaging and you may need to filter it or use a softening system. Also, you do need fat in your diet (the healthy kind) to keep hair soft and shiny.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:18 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeG71 View Post
Does anyone know what vitamin is good to take for hair that splits and breaks off? Would a multi vitamin help? This is happening to both my daughters and I. We were living in a dry climate, so I thought that was the problem, now we are in Houston and still having the problem.. I figured we are lacking some vitamin. any suggestions?
Hair health is determined by genetics, nutrition, and external factors.
1. Are you all eating a healthy diet with an adequate number of calories and protein?
2. Are you using any type of chemical on your hair (color, perm, etc)?
3. How often do you use heating products (curling iron, flat iron, etc)?
4. How often do you wash your hair?
5. What race are you? (yes, this actually does make a difference)
6. What type of fabric do you sleep on (cotton, silk)? Do you cover your hair or leave it bare?
7. Are you all getting your hair cut regularly?
8. Tell us your routine and what products you're using.
In general, a vitamin is always helpful, however, genetics rules. It could simply be the type of water you're using.

As an aside, I used to live in Spring! Hope you like it so far!

Old 11-18-2008, 10:40 AM

1. Diet is average
2. I do get my hair colored. (can't stop, gotta cover the grey)
3. I use a flat iron now and then with a iron guard first to protect it from the heat.
4. wash everyday
5. white
6. cotton sheets, leave hair bare
7. get my hair cut about every 8 weeks.
8. i use moisturizing shampoo and conditioner everyday.

I love Spring, btw..
thanks

Old 11-18-2008, 10:45 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Your flat iron will do what you are complaining about. Set it at the lowest temp and maybe try a different heat protection product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements