Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 06:24 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times

Advertisements

UPDATE: I had to go to urgent care this morning and get another antibiotic as the Zithro did not completely kill this %^&* bug I've got. I've never had something that did not respond to an antibiotic, especially one as potent as Zithro. I think there's a supergerm going around.

BEWARE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2010, 06:45 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,829,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
UPDATE: I had to go to urgent care this morning and get another antibiotic as the Zithro did not completely kill this %^&* bug I've got. I've never had something that did not respond to an antibiotic, especially one as potent as Zithro. I think there's a supergerm going around.

BEWARE!
Hopefully this one will work for you. As I mentioned in my DM this IS a very stubborn bug... Doc gave me a 10 day dose of Avelox and I didn't notice any improvement till day 4 or 5. I caught it the first week of December and I am just now starting to feel about 90% better, but my voice is still a little trashed from the horrendous coughing.

I probably should have gone in sooner, but I thought it was just a simple virus...

Old 01-26-2010, 11:23 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Glad you're getting better, Lady. But it's that last 10% that's &^%$ed. I know!

Old 01-27-2010, 07:38 AM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
I think you answered your own ponderings. If you ask a dentist what antibiotics are good against a dental infection, he will give you a subset list of antibiotics, because many don't work very well for dental infections. If you have a urinary tract or prostate infection, another subset of antibiotics may be indicated. Garlic does appear to either kill or mitigate the effects of some buggies, especially within the gut itself. As importantly, it appears to do so without creating an environment prime for fungi.

The warning about botulism is a slight misdirection. The culprit is less the garlic than preserving anything in oil, which prevents oxygen from reaching the product. In fact, while many homemade foods in this state can be freely sold at swap meets or flea markets in small quantities, ALL foods that are preserved in oil or infusions in an oil MUST be made in a commercial kitchen. Old garlic that is not preserved in oil will try to sprout.

Old 08-12-2010, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 5,134 times
I've been going through extreme workouts and find myself bleeding through my rectum, just a tad...ever since I have been Taking garlic it stopped. I've even tooken eight mile hikes and I am really happy with the reults btw I didn't start taking it for this reason...originally I read that it gives a boost if taken one hour before workouts....another benefit is that I stopped my monster, rock star or red bull cravings....I want to learn more.

Old 08-12-2010, 08:03 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrvpops View Post
I've been going through extreme workouts and find myself bleeding through my rectum, just a tad...ever since I have been Taking garlic it stopped. I've even tooken eight mile hikes and I am really happy with the reults btw I didn't start taking it for this reason...originally I read that it gives a boost if taken one hour before workouts....another benefit is that I stopped my monster, rock star or red bull cravings....I want to learn more.
You need to see a doctor as soon as possible about the bleeding. Exercise will not cause it and it is unlikely that the garlic made it stop. You need a diagnosis!

Old 08-12-2010, 09:06 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
We had a guy that took raw garlic everyday. it got to the point where no one could stand to even be around him. Management talked to him about taking Garlique (SP), seeing we are in a customer service oriented environment. No luck. I moved on and I think he eventually quit.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:16 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
I got interested in this and looked it up on my favorite website, and as usual there is no simple answer. The web link is: Sloan-Kettering - Garlic and here is what it says:
Quote:
Mechanism of Action
The intact cells of garlic contain an odorless, sulfur-containing amino acid derivative known as alliin. When the cells are crushed, alliin comes into contact with the enzyme alliinase located in neighboring cells and is converted to allicin. Allicin is a potent antibiotic, but it is highly odoriferous and unstable. The ajoenes are apparently responsible for the antithrombotic properties of garlic. Allicin is described as possessing antiplatelet, antibiotic, and antihyperlipidemic activity. Most authorities agree that the best measure of the total activity of garlic is its ability to produce allicin, which, in turn, results in the formation of other active constituents (1). In patients with hyperlipidemia, garlic might lower cholesterol levels by acting as an HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor (21). For atherosclerosis, garlic is believed to reduce oxidative stress and low-density lipoprotein oxidation and have antithrombotic effects (22). For hypertension, it is thought to reduce blood pressure by causing smooth muscle relaxation and vasodilation by activating the production of endothelium-derived relaxation factor (23). Garlic might stimulate both humoral and cellular immunity, causing T-cell proliferation, restoring suppressed antibody responses (24), and stimulating macrophage cytotoxicity on tumor cells. Garlic might increase selenium absorption with possible protection against tumororigenesis (25). In addition, garlic may protect against certain cancers by halting cell cycle progression and inducing apoptosis of cancer cells as well as by decreasing angiogenesis and influencing carcinogen metabolism (26) (27).

Pharmacokinetics
Preparation of garlic, such as heating, microwaving, or drying, can substantially reduce the allyl sulfur compounds (allicin and alliin). Crushed raw garlic is highest in these components. S-allyl cysteine (SAC) is well absorbed after oral administration and can be detected in the plasma, liver, and kidney. It is metabolized to N-acetyl-SAC and excreted in the urine. Allicin has not been detected in the bloodstream and is thought to undergo extensive first-pass hepatic metabolism. Allinase, required to convert alliin to allicin, is acid-labile (28).

Old 08-16-2010, 06:54 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I got interested in this and looked it up on my favorite website, and as usual there is no simple answer. The web link is: Sloan-Kettering - Garlic and here is what it says:

That's all very well and good, but OP still needs to find the cause of the bleeding. It could be due to any number of benign conditions, but it could also be an eary warning sign of a polyp or even a cancer.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:29 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,799,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
That's all very well and good, but OP still needs to find the cause of the bleeding. It could be due to any number of benign conditions, but it could also be an eary warning sign of a polyp or even a cancer.
What bleeding? The OP had a respiratory infection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements