Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 10:49 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,873,169 times

Advertisements

It's not really listed as an immune booster but as an antibiotic and antiviral.

Totally agree with the healthy diet.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 11:08 PM

3,124 posts, read 2,071,815 times
There is evidence that it may be an immune booster.

Quote:
Garlic may strengthen the immune system, helping the body fight diseases such as cancer. In test tubes, garlic seems to kill cancer cells. And population studies, ones that follow groups of people over time, suggest that people who eat more raw or cooked garlic are less likely to get colon and stomach cancers and cancer of the esophagus. In fact, researchers who reviewed 7 studies found a 30% reduction in risk of colorectal cancer among people who ate a lot of raw or cooked garlic. Garlic supplements do not seem to have the same effect.

A large-scale study, called the Iowa Women's Health Study, looked at how much garlic, fruit, and vegetables were in the diets of 41,000 middle-aged women. Results showed that women who regularly ate garlic, fruits, and vegetables had a 35% lower risk of developing colon cancer.

Garlic may help the immune system function better during times of need such as in cancer. In a study of 50 people with inoperable colorectal, liver, or pancreatic cancer, immune activity improved after they took aged garlic extract for 6 months.
Garlic | University of Maryland Medical Center

Old 05-13-2016, 01:13 AM

This thread is questioning its ability to fight bacteria

Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 AM

17,537 posts, read 39,147,881 times
I most definitely believe garlic fights bacteria of all kinds. I recently had a sinus infection (chronic for me) and simultaneous gum/tooth issue (I believe possible from the sinus, as these usually go together for me. OMG, the garlic opens up my sinuses like nothing else! And relieves any gum pressure/pain.

For it to work, garlic MUST be fresh! Not capsules or paste. Take a fresh clove, smash it a bit and wait about 10 minutes for the allicin to release. Then either chew it slowly and swallow (I sometimes eat it with food) or for gum issues, chew it and leave it in mouth for a few minutes and spit out. It really works wonders. After just a few days of this, all my issues are almost gone. I am going to continue eating a couple cloves a day just for health benefits and maintenance. It is easy to do and natural and there is nothing to lose.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:33 AM

Garlic has antimicrobial properties as do many other foods. Many herbs do. In the 1800s, Louis Pasteur proved that garlic can kill bacteria in laboratory conditions. However, it's only about 1% as effective as penicillin. Garlic is more of a broad spectrum antibiotic and less effective than a targeted antibiotic for certain bacteria or virus. One of the advantages of garlic is that bacteria do not seem to evolve to build up a resistance to it as they do with some modern antibiotics.

In the studies referenced above, subjects were eating garlic, raw or cooked, AND fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables contain the other immune boosters that garlic doesn't have. One food, like garlic, is not sufficient to support a strong immune system. Prevention is key. Supplements are not as effective as whole food.

To retain allicin in cooked garlic: Chop raw garlic and let it sit for approx. 30-40 minutes while it produces allicin. It can then be cooked with minimal allicin loss.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:38 AM

I wonder if that's why I never get sick despite being on max dose of immune suppressors (for my condition).

I eat tons of garlic. And ginger, chilis, and on. Plus 15-20 fruits / veggies a day.

Old 05-14-2016, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I wonder if that's why I never get sick despite being on max dose of immune suppressors (for my condition).

I eat tons of garlic. And ginger, chilis, and on. Plus 15-20 fruits / veggies a day.
Probably! Kudos for figuring out a ratio of healthy foods to counteract your suppressors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements