Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 76,626 times

Advertisements

I've been taking Standard Process supplements for 2 years. At first they seemed to help and now I'm not so sure. Instead of my chiro taking me down on the number of supplements I take, she has almost doubled what I take from two years ago and it is very pricey. I'm also online now trying to find reviews from users. Here is my daily dosage:

As soon as I wake up I take:
Multipro
Gastrex
Zymex

At breakfast I take:
3 Catalyn
3 A-F Betafood
1 Ligaplex
1 Ferrofood

At lunch:
1 Ferrofood
1 Gastrex
1 Ligaplex

At dinner:
1 Ferrofood
1 Gastrex
1 Ligaplex

At bedtime:
1 Ferrofood
1 Zymex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 76,518 times
Someone said their Chiropractor does not profit from Standard Process supplements. When I first "googled" my Chiropractor, what came up was:"how to become a millionaire selling our products"! After I brought it to his attention, he changed his page.
I am very concerned about the animal parts in all of these supplements, is anyone else?

Old 07-05-2010, 01:44 PM

37,101 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airyelle View Post
I've been taking Standard Process supplements for 2 years. At first they seemed to help and now I'm not so sure. Instead of my chiro taking me down on the number of supplements I take, she has almost doubled what I take from two years ago and it is very pricey. I'm also online now trying to find reviews from users. Here is my daily dosage:

As soon as I wake up I take:
Multipro
Gastrex
Zymex

At breakfast I take:
3 Catalyn
3 A-F Betafood
1 Ligaplex
1 Ferrofood

At lunch:
1 Ferrofood
1 Gastrex
1 Ligaplex

At dinner:
1 Ferrofood
1 Gastrex
1 Ligaplex

At bedtime:
1 Ferrofood
1 Zymex
I was curious about the contents of the substances you are taking, so I went to the Standard Process site.I realize that you are not taking maximum recommended doses of all of these, but here is what I found:

Multi Pro is a multiple vitamin. It contains a list of vitamin and minerals, including 10,000 units Vitamin A per capsule, with a recommended dose of two per day.
Vitamin A is a fat soluble vitamin, meaning it can be stored in fatty tissue. Since you are likely getting vitamin A from your diet, it is possible to get too much, and excess doses may have adverse effects on bone and the function of other vitamins. This product is very expensive. Your body does not care whether the vitamins and minerals you supply it come from food sources or are manufactured in a chemical plant. Most adults who eat a diet of varied sources get plenty of vitamins and minerals and do not need to take a multivite. If you choose to do so, a generic from a reputable chain is sufficient and very cheap. This product also contains iron. If you are male or a female who does not have menstrual periods, you do not need iron unless a true deficiency has been diagnosed, and the cause of the deficiency has been determined. Any woman who may be able to get pregnant --- whether she is planning to or not --- should take a prenatal vitamin with folic acid. This can help prevent certain brain and spinal cord defects in a developing fetus.

Gastrex is made from okra, bentonite (which is basically clay and can bind certain minerals, including iron), and pork liver, stomach, intestine and brain. It contains a little calcium, vitamin C and vitamin B. Suggested dose is two four times a day. it does not provide anything you would not get from one multivite once a day.

Zymex I contains beets, wheat germ, lactose, and Spanish moss. It really contains no nutritional value, and if dairy products give you gas and diarrhea, this might, too.

Zymex II contains almond, fig, papain (also used as a meat tenderizer), bromelain, amylase, lipase, and cellulose. Dose two twice a day. Amylase and lipase are digestive enzymes. Deficiencies are uncommon. If you have had an actual deficiency diagnosed, there are better sources, and you should check with your doctor. Most people make quite enough.

Catalyn is made from carrots, yeast, beef adrenal, liver, spleen and kidney, and sheep spleen. It contains more vitamin A (1200 units @ three per day = 3600 U), vitamins C, D, & thiamine. Again, contributes too much vitamin A, and the others do not need to be given in multiple small doses.

Beta Food is made from beets & carrots and contains beef liver, bone, spleen, and adrenal. pork stomach and intestine. It contains vitamin A (3000 U @ two per meal --- assume three times per day = 6 x 3000 = another 18000 U vitamin A per day). and vitamin B6. Now the vitamin A is getting to a scary level.

Ligaplex contains more Vitamin A (only 230U), Vitamins C, E, & B12, phosphorous, Magnesium.
Again, there is no reason to take small doses of vitamins & minerals many times a day.

Ferrofood
provides vitamin C, B12, & iron. Unless you have a documented deficiency, you do not need to take iron. You only need B12 if you have a documented deficiency or never eat meat products.

The manufacturer has apparently found a novel way to use meat byproducts that sound suspiciously like the contents of pet food.

Most healthy adults do not need to use any of these products, and I certainly would not give them to children.

If you want to supplement vitamins and minerals --- and many of us do not always eat wisely, I know --- choose a generic multivitamin and take one per day.

Only take iron if you are deficient or a menstruating female. If you are iron deficient, find out why and treat the cause. If you do need iron, a little extra vitamin C helps with absorption, and therapeutic doses may cause constipation. A stool softener helps.

Supplementing vitamin D and calcium may be wise to keep bones strong. Three dairy servings a day may be enough, otherwise, two Tums a day for the calcium, get some sunshine for the vitamin D, and if you do not eat dairy products, consider getting a blood vitamin D level.

The neutraceutical industry is careful to make no claims that its products treat disease. But our GI tracts do not need to be "cleansed", our livers, spleens, and gallbladders do not need to be "supported", no supplement is going to do anything to the pH (acidity) of the GI tract. All these products do is make money for the people who make and sell them. These products are not providing anything you are not getting from a diet that includes fresh fruits and vegetables. Modern frozen products are about as good as fresh --- if they are not soaked in salt and fatty sauces.

If you feel that your diet may be inadequate, consult a nutritionist. A single visit can help pinpoint changes you need to make, will likely cost less than a month's worth of "supplements", and may be covered by insurance if you have any health issues such as diabetes or high blood pressure.

I use Sam's Club Member's Mark Mature Multi, which is about $12 for 400 --- over a year's worth. It has vitamin A 2500 U, a warning not to take more without consulting a doctor, and all of the vitamins and minerals in the supplements you are taking. I consume at least three dairy servings a day, so I do not take additional vitamin D or calcium. Cost is less than $1 per month.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:27 PM

1 posts, read 76,151 times
I'm wondering about the REVIEW that's been up for a very long time by Quackwatch -
[mod] too new to post links, read TOS [/mod]

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 09-27-2010 at 07:39 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 07:41 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I was curious about the contents of the substances you are taking, so I went to the Standard Process site.I realize that you are not taking maximum recommended doses of all of these, but here is what I found:

and pork liver, stomach, intestine and brain. It contains a little calcium, vitamin C and vitamin B. ...................
beef adrenal, liver, spleen and kidney, and sheep spleen.........................
contains beef liver, bone, spleen, and adrenal. pork stomach and intestine...............................
The manufacturer has apparently found a novel way to use meat byproducts that sound suspiciously like the contents of pet food.

UGH! Those sound like ingrediants in poor quality pet food. NO WAY I would want them in my body. If the animal isn't checked for human consumption, how infected is it? Think mad cow disease.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:45 PM

Moderator cut: orphaned quote

Any effect you got was likely a placebo effect. No way to tell whether there might be something in the product that is a stimulant that is interfering with your sleep. Not everything in supplements is always on the label.

Just stop taking it!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 01-13-2011 at 01:07 PM..

Old 01-13-2011, 12:44 PM

1 posts, read 75,539 times
I am about to start taking Standard Process supplements to stop the progression of, and to reverse osteoporosis. I'll be under the guidance of my chiro/nutritionist. HAS ANYONE HAD A FAVORABLE OUTCOME IN USING THESE SUPPLEMENTS IN IMPROVING BONE DENSITY?

Old 01-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangogna View Post
I am about to start taking Standard Process supplements to stop the progression of, and to reverse osteoporosis. I'll be under the guidance of my chiro/nutritionist. HAS ANYONE HAD A FAVORABLE OUTCOME IN USING THESE SUPPLEMENTS IN IMPROVING BONE DENSITY?
How was your osteoporosis diagnosed? If it was only measured at the heel, it may be inaccurate.

Have you read the previous posts? These products are very expensive. Why not just take some vitamin D and calcium --- 200 units of vitamin D and 600 mg calcium each twice a day?

There are prescription products that have been shown to work. Why do you not want to use one of those?

Here's the link to quackwatch:

The Shady History of Royal Lee and Standard Process Laboratories

You've read that and you are still considering using these products?

Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 150,546 times
so suzy q2010 what is your background exactly? Are you a health care professional. You seem to be offering much advice on the subject. I hope you have a professional degree to support your bold opinions. Regarding your recommendation of dosing of calcium and Vit D which supplement company are you suggesting? How do you know this company is reputable and that their active ingredients are legitimate? You do realize that the supplement industry is not regulated by the FDA so much of what people buy is most likely garbage labeled as a supplement. Standard Process is a reputable company that uses ORGANIC whole foods in their supplement. Are you also suggesting that eating "organic" is of no value? No one is suggesting that these supplements cure anything. It is only a safe adjunct to try and see if symptoms resolve or reduce. Its much better than being put on a proton pump inhibitor (Nexium, etc) that will lead to long term nutritional deficiencies and cause more harm than good in the future. [mod] rude [/mod]

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 02-25-2011 at 01:21 AM..

Old 02-24-2011, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 150,546 times
also long term use of Boniva (greater than 5 years) is contraindicated and will actually lead to more problems (fractures of the humerus, hips, etc...). Im sure her doctor was not saying he was going to "cure" her osteoporosis, he was simply trying to give her nutritional advice to help slow the progression of the disease. What a novel concept nutritional advice. When was the last time a doctor recommended nutritional or lifestyle recommendations/....?????? No wonder we are approaching 1 out of 3 people to have type II diabetes. What a healthy nation we live in. Also, America is ranked lower than some third word countries in infant mortality. Open your eyes people and stop living in a cave. In not trying to bash any profession (MD, DC, PT, DO PA, etc..) but if you dont take care of yourself through diet, exercise, nutrition, there is no medication that will help you. I say congrats to those physicians who recommend supplements. You mentioned gas as a side affect to the supplements. Well id rather have a little gas than a serious side affect to a medication i didnt need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements