Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:52 AM

544 posts, read 852,601 times

Advertisements

I'd also vote for 80 -> 380 -> 81 North. That's always been my preferred route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 06:43 PM

845 posts, read 1,688,284 times
Instead of taking the Taconic all the way up you could just take it to the edge of Poughkeepsie, cut over to the mid-Hudson Bridge and then up 87 to 90 (which is all the NYS Thruway), and come back on the same route. It's still a lot of driving. I'd almost be inclined to take the Lincoln Tunnel and shoot up the West Side Highway to avoid the GWB tolls. On a bad Sunday afternoon the inbound Lincoln might be 30 to 40 minutes at worst, but from Nedrow to the tunnel approach is only four hours at 72 or 73 mph (you will never get a ticket in the 65 zones on those roads at that speed.)

You could make the entire trip in about the same amount of time as the other routes but minus the tolls of the Thruway. In any event - avoid taking 87 South all the way down into NJ on a Sunday afternoon. The toll portion of the road ends at Harrison, and the backup at the toll booth choke point can get really bad on Sundays, especially in the summer months.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:06 AM

58 posts, read 79,125 times
Thanks RollsRoyce. I will try this route on Friday when I go back up to Syracuse. Extra mileage is worth the trade-off of crawling along for an hour.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 AM

Oops, did not notice a page 2 to this thread. Thank you Phaelon56 and Emitchell for your advice as well.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phaelon56 View Post
Instead of taking the Taconic all the way up you could just take it to the edge of Poughkeepsie, cut over to the mid-Hudson Bridge and then up 87 to 90 (which is all the NYS Thruway), and come back on the same route. It's still a lot of driving. I'd almost be inclined to take the Lincoln Tunnel and shoot up the West Side Highway to avoid the GWB tolls. On a bad Sunday afternoon the inbound Lincoln might be 30 to 40 minutes at worst, but from Nedrow to the tunnel approach is only four hours at 72 or 73 mph (you will never get a ticket in the 65 zones on those roads at that speed.)
The taconic is at least 10 miles east of Poughkeepsie and the E to W road (I believe its Route 55) tends to get congested due to several developments in the LaGrange area. I've tried this route several times wouldn't recommend it. Also, the drive from the Thruway exit to the Mid Hudson bridge goes through New Paltz which can be clogged with traffic at times.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:13 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
I do this trip all the time..... (BTW, the Jet Blue Flights from JFK to SYR can't be beat! Take the bus or the subway with a couple of connections from your area out to JFK).

Comments on what has been mentioned here already:

Might want to try to alter your exit and entrance from/to NYC based on day and time of day.

I use Lincoln Tunnel out to Route 3...to 46...to Route 80 to 380 to 81. Nedrow is well south of SYR so coming out the Thruway from Albany and taking 481 South to 81 to Nedrow adds lots of local time in the SYR area, in addition to being way out of the way miles-wise. I understand the 'longer route might save time' argument. If you are traveling late afternoon, or on Friday, the Lincoln and Route 3/46/80 will be packed to the NJ border at the Delaware River. Ditto for the return on Sunday night.

GW to 80 might work depending on time of day....late afternoon, esp Friday? Forget it. Ditto for Sunday.

I NEVER use 17...slower speed limit much of the time...local cops quite anxious to capture a few $$$ from an out of towner too....and getting there/getting back on Friday/Sunday with weekend Catskill trafiic is a nightmare. Then you have to deal with the Thruway down to the River. At certain times of the year, in the middle of the day, and if you are not in a hurry, the 17 is a gorgeous drive....

Good luck....key is timing in and out of the City....the SYR end is never a traffic problem. BTW, on a Friday night/Sunday evening, the Thruway can also be pretty crowded with lots of stops and starts at least from Catskill to the Harriman Toll Plaza.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:45 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Default Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRUCE7 View Post
.... this is the .... question:
My wife & I travel from NYC once a month to Syracuse to visit my daughter & twin grand-daughters (.... we are moving to Syracuse permanently upon my retirement in March).

We always take rte. 17 to 81 but last Sunday on the way home hit MAJOR traffic .... due to ongoing construction and only one lane open. Does anyone know a alternate route ....

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated both going to & from Syracuse .... Thanks in advance
TRAVELING NORTH TO SYRACUSE=[especially on Friday & Saturday]

Considering traffic I prefer this route GOING NORTH. Take Tappan Zee Bridge, take NYS Thruway-87 NORTH to Albany, take NYS Thruway-90 WEST to Syracuse, at Syracuse take Interstate 481 SOUTH [distance driving on 481/81 to Nedrow/EXIT 16 is 18 miles of quick moving traffic], at Interstate 81 [end of 481] go SOUTH toward Binghamton--Exit off 81 at EXIT 16/NEDROW, take Route 11 NORTH into Nedrow. This Thruway route is 45-50 miles longer DISTANCE but I think its quicker TIMEWISE when there are traffic jams on the Route 17 trip.

OR --- TRAVELING NORTH TO SYRACUSE=

I do not know whether or not this would be a possible LESS TRAFFIC or LESS MILEAGE or LESS TIME route [you probably know the north New Jersey area better than me]. Take Tappan Zee Bridge, take NYS Thruway a short distance, take Interstate 287 SOUTHWARD to & take Interstate 80 WEST to & take Interstate 380 toward Scranton, then take Interstate 81 to Nedrow/Syracuse.

TRAVELING SOUTH TO NYC=[especially on Sunday]

I think the fastest [until you get close to NYC-no route fast there at real busy times-you have to choose that last portion route] route to return to NYC area is the following route. At Nedrow take Interstate 81 SOUTH to the Scranton area, at Scranton take Interstate 380 to Interstate 80 EAST and continue to NYC area. Good luck at NYC. I think all Hudson River crossings are jammed-up until quite late at night.

Good luck.

Last edited by grdnrman; 08-23-2010 at 10:05 AM..

Old 08-26-2010, 12:46 PM

To all who responded, thanks again. Since I spoke to someone from the highway dept in Middletown who gave me a "detour" route (get off and take 17n or 17k between exits 116 and 120 also known as Bloomberger rd. going either East or West depending on if I am coming or going from Syracuse) I decided to stay with 17. Had no problem either way (went up Friday, came back Saturday). Two lanes open both ways. Trick seems to be to avoid Sunday travel coming back when one lane is open and Catskill traffic is at its heaviest.
Since I love the winding roads and stay only 10 miles over speed limit I will continue with this route. Since we always start home no later than 10 AM whatever day we leave, Harriman tolls and Tappan Zee bridge have never been a problem.
Can't wait until March when we will become permanent residents of the Syracuse area (Baldwinsville to be specific). My wife already loves what she has seen on Rte. 31 I believe it is as far as shopping/restaurants go.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:32 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
To all who responded, thanks again. Since I spoke to someone from the highway dept in Middletown who gave me a "detour" route (get off and take 17n or 17k between exits 116 and 120 also known as Bloomberger rd. going either East or West depending on if I am coming or going from Syracuse) I decided to stay with 17. Had no problem either way (went up Friday, came back Saturday). Two lanes open both ways. Trick seems to be to avoid Sunday travel coming back when one lane is open and Catskill traffic is at its heaviest.
Since I love the winding roads and stay only 10 miles over speed limit I will continue with this route. Since we always start home no later than 10 AM whatever day we leave, Harriman tolls and Tappan Zee bridge have never been a problem.
Can't wait until March when we will become permanent residents of the Syracuse area (Baldwinsville to be specific). My wife already loves what she has seen on Rte. 31 I believe it is as far as shopping/restaurants go.
It does have anything a person would want. Traffic can be a pain on the weekends at times, but besides that, you should be fine.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:52 PM

357 posts, read 968,496 times
Quote:

I've always loved the 17 drive. Its so beautiful, especially in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area