Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times

Advertisements

Who is sitting at home complaining? I still make a point of going out and exploring things that Syracuse has to offer. Last weekend was the SPCA walk in Longbranch, this weekend is Italian Fest, the Apple Festival is around the corner. I am out and about any chance I get because I am trying to make the best out of this situation.

My comment about the honeymoon phase was to make a point that it is an exciting adventure in the first year or two of moving to a new place. Since you are new to the area everything is still new and exciting to you. It wasn't to deter you from living here. So tell me out of the many places you have lived, why did you choose Syracuse and why is this one going to be forever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 07:05 AM

93,296 posts, read 123,941,088 times
The thing that trips me out is that someone is moving to Syracuse and expects professional sports. Umm, if you knew anything about the pro sports league, then you would know that Syracuse doesn't have any pro/major league teams. That is very odd to me.

Then, it's as if the person, who has lived here for a few years now, doesn't realize that Syracuse University sports play at the highest level for college sports. For those from the SW and other places on this post, think of Arizona State, USC, UCLA, Tennessee and Hawaii sports. So, it's not like you can't view a high level of sporting events.

Don't forget that there is the Syracuse Symphony, Syracuse Stage and the Syracuse Opera, among other art based events and companies.

Old 09-18-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
The thing that trips me out is that someone is moving to Syracuse and expects professional sports.
I didn't expect professional teams. I was pointing out that there are no teams which means there are no sporting events to attend. Compared to the rest of the country, the farm teams (Crunch, Chiefs) here are equal to high school sporting events.

Quote:
Then, it's as if the person, who has lived here for a few years now, doesn't realize that Syracuse University sports play at the highest level for college sports. So, it's not like you can't view a high level of sporting events.
SU is big on the East Coast. They are not even on the map to the rest of the country. Comparing them to the nations top teams is laughable. SU is only a big deal here.

These teams are great for the area and they are fun to attend, but for someone coming from a large city, it will not be what they expect.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I didn't expect professional teams. I was pointing out that there are no teams which means there are no sporting events to attend. Compared to the rest of the country, the farm teams (Crunch, Chiefs) here are equal to high school sporting events.

SU is big on the East Coast. They are not even on the map to the rest of the country. Comparing them to the nations top teams is laughable. SU is only a big deal here.

These teams are great for the area and they are fun to attend, but for someone coming from a large city, it will not be what they expect.
Actually, the Chiefs and the Crunch are just a step below MLB and the NHL. So, they are a far cry from high school sports. They are still pros, but they just aren't in the highest league.

As for SU, which by the way is in the top 20 for wins in Football and is in the top 10 for wins in Basketball, there are people from all over the country familiar with the sports programs there. Basketball definitely has a following, as when I was going to college in Michigan, people would ask me about the program and tell me about their favorite players. So, it is not true about SU only being big on the East Coast. Keep in mind that SU Basketball consistently leads the NCAA in attendance and it isn't unusual for crowds to reach 30,000 for Basketball.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:53 AM

357 posts, read 968,329 times
ToeJam I think the reason people are viewing your statements as someone who is bitter rather than valid statements is because your critiques are very sweeping statements making them invalid.

For example you stated -
"She will enjoy it for a month or two until she realizes the weather sucks and there isn't anything to do" But then later you claim to be doing all kinds of activites.

You State -
"There are tons of lakes here, but the weather and zebra muscles make it less enjoyable. You can not plan any outdoor activities here because even if it is sunny in the morning, there is a good chance your party will get rained on, especially during the summer."
All valid Weather stations disagree with you and I don't recall zebra muscles ever being an issue in the areas I go to swim.

You Stated -
"I do enjoy many of the festivals, the fair, and smaller music acts, but these events only happen 3 months out of the year. During the winter we shovel snow, work, eat, and drink."
Not true, Syracuse offers tons of winter activities and festivals throughout the winter months. There is something to offer every single month of the year. If all you are doing is shoveling snow, working, eating, and drinking then those are your choices, don't blame Syracuse because that is all you choose to do.

You State -
"SU is big on the East Coast. They are not even on the map to the rest of the country. Comparing them to the nations top teams is laughable. SU is only a big deal here."
Teams are only big whereever they are located. When I moved to Texas I had never even heard of the longhorns or A&M but they were huge there. When I moved to TN, its UT that's big. I've never lived in CA and so I couldn't tell you a single CA team, pro or college. People are typically loyal to what they live near. CkhthankGod statements are correct about standings throughout the nation, SU is not just a big deal in Syracuse. You say there are no Pro sports teams but Syracuse doesn't really need a pro sports team when you have 5 to 6 of them within a 3 hour drive in every direction and that's just football!

You State -
"I am happy anywhere I am, but I know that I want more than Syracuse has to offer. The small town life is not for me. Like I said, I have been spoiled and I know it. That doesn't mean I have to settle for less. That may be good enough for some people, but not for me."
I think this says it all, you are obviously not happy anywhere you are. If Syracuse doesn't offer you what you think you want then those are personal choices but you can't blame Syracuse for that. Syracuse does not offer less, and the people living there are not settling for less. Syracuse just offers something different than what you want. I get that Syracuse is not a major metro center, I also have enjoyed living in big cities and understand the draw they can have over people. But what cracks me up is people will say Syracuse doesn't offer them enough so they will move to the suburbs of a major city and then rarely go into the city itself to enjoy all these things they claim they wanted. Personally, I'm ready to get back to a city more the size of Syracuse. I don't think I would be settling for less, actually I feel I would be getting the perfect situation.

Last edited by beckyhuggs; 09-18-2010 at 11:19 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckyhuggs View Post
"She will enjoy it for a month or two until she realizes the weather sucks and there isn't anything to do" But then later you claim to be doing all kinds of activites.
Yes, the same activities, the same thing year after year because it is what goes on around here. There is no variety or change.

Quote:
All valid Weather stations disagree with you and I don't recall zebra muscles ever being an issue in lakes I swim in.
The clean lakes have zebra muscles. It is the reason they are clean. The others are cesspools that get shut down because of bacteria. You live next to the most polluted lake there is. Can't you smell it? You can't even eat fish caught on that lake because of the pollution.

Quote:
You say there are no Pro sports teams but Syracuse doesn't really need a pro sports team when you have 5 to 6 of them within a 3 hour drive in every direction!
I count two, the Bills and Sabers. What are the others?

Quote:
"I am happy anywhere I am, but I know that I want more than Syracuse has to offer. The small town life is not for me. Like I said, I have been spoiled and I know it. That doesn't mean I have to settle for less. That may be good enough for some people, but not for me."
I think this says it all, you are obviously not happy anywhere you are.
My first sentence says that I am not happy anywhere? Reading comprehension is not your friend. Notice I said it is not enough for ME. I am not speaking for others, just me. You guys mention all that Syracuse has to offer and I am mentioning what Syracuse doesn't have to offer. I give Syracuse it's due on the things it does have, but everyone gets defensive when I point out the city's shortcomings. I offer a different opinion than most posters here, but it is my opinion just as you have yours.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Keep in mind that SU Basketball consistently leads the NCAA in attendance and it isn't unusual for crowds to reach 30,000 for Basketball.
That is because it is the most excitement this town sees all year.

Old 09-18-2010, 11:49 AM

357 posts, read 968,329 times
Quote:
My first sentence says that I am not happy anywhere? Reading comprehension is not your friend. Notice I said it is not enough for ME. I am not speaking for others, just me. You guys mention all that Syracuse has to offer and I am mentioning what Syracuse doesn't have to offer. I give Syracuse it's due on the things it does have, but everyone gets defensive when I point out the city's shortcomings. I offer a different opinion than most posters here, but it is my opinion just as you have yours.
"Reading comprehension is not your friend" starting to throw in personal attacks now? Interesting! But the same could be said about you. You obviously didn't read the beginning of my post when I stated that the reason people see you as bitter is because your statements are all sweeping statements making them invalid. And once again you proved me correct in your last reply to my post when all you could do was spill out more statements that are full of holes and falsehoods. You want people to believe that these are opionions you have but saying something like "The others are cesspools that get shut down because of bacteria." is not an opinion, it's a complete lie!

Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
That is because it is the most excitement this town sees all year.
Not necessarily. Maybe it has more to do with people in the Northeast being more passionate about their teams versus other parts of the country. Granted, this can vary depending upon the sport/team too.

Within more like 4 hours, there's the pro teams in NYC, Philly, Buffalo and Boston. Can't forget Canadian markets like Ottawa, Montreal and Toronto that are within that time frame too.You can go and come back from those cities in a day, if you want to as well.

As for the water, again, most of the water is fresh and the instances with the 2 beaches is rare. Onondaga Lake is the way it is due to industrialization and you could find similar examples across the country where there has been some manufacturing. Besides that, you should be able to enjoy the rest of the water, for the most part. Maybe the very fresh Skaneateles Lake would suit you, as it is the drinking water source for the city of Syracuse.

If you go to festivals, you obviously know that they are packed and this is the case during all times of the year. You also have things going on in the surrounding area, like the Tipp Hill Music Festival and Jordan Fall Festival, which are going on right now. Pick up a New Times and you will find some other things going on in the area.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
You want people to believe that these are opionions you have but saying something like "The others are cesspools that get shut down because of bacteria." is not an opinion, it's a complete lie!
The Syracuse newspaper must be filled with liars. Oneida Shores reopens; two beaches remain closed on Oneida Lake | syracuse.com
Beach in town of Lenox closed due to high bacteria levels | syracuse.com

Quote:
Onondaga Lake is the way it is due to industrialization and you could find similar examples across the country where there has been some manufacturing.
You will find similar problems with lake pollution, but "Onondaga Lake has been described as one of the most polluted lakes in the United States." Onondaga Lake Superfund Site - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

I do like Skaneateles Lake. It is very clean- because of the zebra muscles. There is a link about zebra muscles on their homepage. Skaneateles Lake Webpage: Homepage (http://watershed.extendonondaga.org/skanhome.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area