Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 AM

7 posts, read 10,694 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. My husband and 2 boys (18 and 13) and I, are relocating to Syracuse due to a job change. My husband grew up there, and still has family there, so we are familiar with most of the areas, and where we would like to be. My question is, does anyone know where to look for rental homes? We are keeping our house in Florida, and would like to rent a home, for at least the first year. We are looking mainly in the Fayetteville/Manlius, and Jamesville/Dewitt areas. I don't trust Craigs list too much, and the realtor web sites seem to only list a few. Just wondering if there is anywhere else I should be looking.

Thanks, Colleen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2011, 08:17 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
I'm in the Village of Manlius.

We'd like to sell this house and build one of our own on land in Pompey... so I regularly check on rentals in this area, for when we'd need to live somewhere during construction/dealing with laborers. Far and away, what you'd find on craigslist for these suburbs IS real... I have the "luxury" of passing the listings I see and there are signs "For Rent" in front of them as well.

Do you want me to look for you? SO often, there are signs out front of homes with no listing on Craigslist. I can give you a description, take a pic, and give you the number listed on the sign. lol

What are you looking for, as far as price range, bedrooms, baths and area (walkability vs. suburban sprawl vs. lifestyle)?

Old 02-11-2011, 08:23 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
You can try this website: MapsKrieg - CraigsList Apartment Listings Mashed With Google Maps

You could look at the real estate section of this website too: Syracuse NY Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - syracuse.com

There might be some townhomes in both of those SD's too. There might be some in very good SD's like West Genesee or Westhill. I know that High Acres in Onondaga Hill, which is in the Westhill SD, would be a good townhome development to look at.

Old 02-11-2011, 08:41 AM

Thanks for the replies. We are looking for at least a 3/2, would prefer 4/3, but don't know how many of those would be available. Definitely a house, no townhouse or attached home. I think our max budget would be $2000 per month. I would love it if you could get numbers and pics for me! My husband is already there working, but he really hasn't had time to go out researching. The boys and I will be coming up in June, after the older one graduates from High School, so do you think it's too early to look?

Old 02-11-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgirl67 View Post
Thanks for the replies. We are looking for at least a 3/2, would prefer 4/3, but don't know how many of those would be available. Definitely a house, no townhouse or attached home. I think our max budget would be $2000 per month. I would love it if you could get numbers and pics for me! My husband is already there working, but he really hasn't had time to go out researching. The boys and I will be coming up in June, after the older one graduates from High School, so do you think it's too early to look?
I'd start the process to having him admitted to Onondaga Community College. MANY of the professors also teach at the $$$$ secondary institutions in the area (Syracuse University, LeMoyne, Colgate, 4-year SUNY schools), but at OCC (aka Ock on the Rock lol), you can get that same education at a tenth the price.

I'll look at listings for you and drive around. You aren't looking for strict walkability, right? Because, in that case, you can also look at homes in Pompey, Jamesville and Dewitt.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM

Single-family village home with huge backyard
Village House

If you can inquire for addresses, I can drive by and take real pics for you. lol

Old 02-11-2011, 09:41 AM

Thanks agan! Already applied to OCC, so we are good to go in that department! Your links are blocked for me at work, so I'll have to check them out when I get home tonight. Not real worried about walkability, but it might be nice. Right now, I drive an hour and 15 minutes each way to work, and here, you have to drive EVERYWHERE, so I'm used to it. The schools for my youngest is the most important thing, and my husband works in East Syracuse, so close to 690 would be nice too. Thanks again for your help, and I'll get back with you on those links!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:56 AM

93,348 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Something in the East Syracuse-Minoa SD might work too. While it's not F-M or J-D, it's still a solid SD that graduates about mid to high 80's in terms of percentage in 4 years of HS.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:25 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
I would talk to a Realtor in the area. Many times people will mention that they are thinking about renting out their property or have a house to rent without any advertizing other than word of mouth. I can tell you that in the smaller villages, a good Realtor knows before a house even hits the general public or about houses that will never be listed publicly.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:27 AM

655 posts, read 2,328,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemgirl67 View Post
Hello everyone. My husband and 2 boys (18 and 13) and I, are relocating to Syracuse due to a job change. My husband grew up there, and still has family there, so we are familiar with most of the areas, and where we would like to be. My question is, does anyone know where to look for rental homes? We are keeping our house in Florida, and would like to rent a home, for at least the first year. We are looking mainly in the Fayetteville/Manlius, and Jamesville/Dewitt areas. I don't trust Craigs list too much, and the realtor web sites seem to only list a few. Just wondering if there is anywhere else I should be looking.

Thanks, Colleen
Hello Colleen, husband & family,

I don't relish the thought of having to find a decent, single-family, good condition rental home. My past experience is that apartments and townhomes are in MUCH BETTER CONDITION and in better LOCATIONS than available single family homes. I really like helping people who are relocating to Metro Syracuse. A single-family home?? --- I doubt very much that I'd find ANYTHING that I'd want to suggest to you; I just don't think what is available as a rental, would be in good enough INTERIOR condition to recommend.

You or your husband can check the Homes For Rent section of the Syracuse Sunday Newspaper for listings. You might phone some real estate reps in case they have a client who might rent a single-family home to you. Other than that, I don't know.

I think it's going to be EXTREMELY difficult to find a single-family home in adequate INTERIOR condition that you would consider renting; sorry to say that but I think that is what you will find out. In my opinion, your best bet is for you to phone real estate agents and see if they have a DECENT rental home to suggest.

If I can help with other information, I would be very happy to do that.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area