Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times

Advertisements

Well thank god that killed that scumbag but not before one of oneida based police dogs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Funny you had mentioned schools.

I was doing a google earth fly over of the building they got the guy holed up in. It butts up against the school I went to. The LW Bills school.

It's not a school anymore though.

Schools as far east as Little Falls and as far north as Dolgeville were on lockdown as well. I was in Herkimer on Saturday and this is just truely sad beyond words. I'm glad the cops finally killed the SOB. At least taxpayers will not have to pay for a trial, incarceration, and a court appointed defense attorney(s). The suspect's death may not bring closure to the survivors and the families of the deceased but at least it will spare them the stress of having to deal with a trial.

I pray that the other two shooting victims, both of whom are in critical condition at St. Elizabeth's Hospital will pull through.

Old 03-14-2013, 10:22 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,270,456 times
Only pizza place upstate I consider to be good is in Herkimer just past the car wash.

My daughters were pretty freaked out when they seen how close they have been to a tragic news event.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:21 AM

Syracuse entrepreneur saw change coming just in the nick of time | syracuse.com

Old 03-15-2013, 11:32 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
Here is another growing company headquartered on the same street that has flown under the radar.

ICM Controls | Made in America Electronic Controls for HVACR Industry

View of headquarters and sales office locations:
HVAC Companies | ICM Controls Made In America
Thanks for sharing, are they expanding their operations? It seems there are a number of mid-sized tech. etc. companies growing in the area. Hancock Business Park has really blossomed.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Thanks for sharing, are they expanding their operations? It seems there are a number of mid-sized tech. etc. companies growing in the area. Hancock Business Park has really blossomed.
I'm not sure. When visiting town and reading the Sunday paper, I have occasionally seen ads from ICM seeking engineers and machine operators. I'm not sure if these are replacement positions or net new jobs. They were previously located somewhere else in Cicero and constructed that relatively new building around 10 years ago.

For some reason, the area encompassing the former Air Park reminds of the south and midwest. It's flat and has virtually all modern industrial/office/R&D buildings. SRC isn't too far from there either. Perhaps its streets containing first and last names of people like "William Barry" has something to do with it! Other major streets in the Northern Suburbs have this pattern as well including "Henry Clay Boulevard," "John Glenn Boulevard" and more recently "Eileen Collins Boulevard" after the iconic astronaut and SU grad.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,865,872 times
Clarification, are these companies (and ICM, SRC mentioned by RR) union? I would hate to see them go the way of Carrier, NPG-Magna, GE, Fisher Guide, etc. that really contributed to CNY's economic challenges.

I admit that unions played a positive role back in the day, but I am not a big fan of them now. I thought that since NYS was a union state all companies had to be represented by a union. I would hate to see these rising companies close down because of unreasonable collective bargaining non-sense.

No offense to all union workers, but one only has to look at states like Michigan, Illinois, California, etc. and yes, upstate New York for proof of economic decline.

I would be curious to know how this works in NYS.

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 PM

93,320 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
Clarification, are these companies (and ICM, SRC mentioned by RR) union? I would hate to see them go the way of Carrier, NPG-Magna, GE, Fisher Guide, etc. that really contributed to CNY's economic challenges.

I admit that unions played a positive role back in the day, but I am not a big fan of them now. I thought that since NYS was a union state all companies had to be represented by a union. I would hate to see these rising companies close down because of unreasonable collective bargaining non-sense.

No offense to all union workers, but one only has to look at states like Michigan, Illinois, California, etc. and yes, upstate New York for proof of economic decline.

I would be curious to know how this works in NYS.

Thanks.
I'm not sure, but I think it would be interesting to see if they are or not. I know that Gaylord moved from Morgan Road to that location. G.A. Braun was on Brighton Ave between Thurber and I-481. So, Hancock Business Park must be doing something right.

Old 03-18-2013, 07:47 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,264 times
I drove out to Trader Joes this weekend. Here is a random list of observations.....
  • They don’t sell the Trader Joe’s Two Buck Chuck or any of the cheap wines in NY state.
  • I try not to eat processed food as much as I used to when I thought Trader Joes was “healthier food”, so there were even less items for me.
  • They did have some good prices on staple items.
  • It is crazy how much Wegmans has tried to copy Trader Joes, even down to product fonts.
  • Many items are just relabeled with a Trader Joes name. A mustard made in France with the same exact jar, one bought at Tops and one at Trader Joes. TJ’s was cheaper.
  • There are a few specialty items I would go to Trader Joes for, but we already have most of what they sell between Wegmans and NatureTyme, and Green Planet in Fairmount.

Old 03-18-2013, 01:34 PM

93,320 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
I drove out to Trader Joes this weekend. Here is a random list of observations.....

• They don’t sell the Trader Joe’s Two Buck Chuck or any of the cheap wines in NY state.

• I try not to eat processed food as much as I used to when I thought Trader Joes was “healthier food”, so there were even less items for me.

• They did have some good prices on staple items.

• It is crazy how much Wegmans has tried to copy Trader Joes, even down to product fonts.

• Many items are just relabeled with a Trader Joes name. A mustard made in France with the same exact jar, one bought at Tops and one at Trader Joes. TJ’s was cheaper.

• There are a few specialty items I would go to Trader Joes for, but we already have most of what they sell between Wegmans and NatureTyme, and Green Planet in Fairmount.
Interesting and I wonder if this would hurt the chance of ever getting a Trader Joe's in the area, given your observations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area