Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 05:36 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Interesting comment by Ringwood about the mentality of many people in the area: Is retail in downtown Syracuse fit or floundering? It depends on who you ask | syracuse.com

http://www.syracuse.com/opinion/inde..._river_default

Hopefully, they can get it together again: Arts, government, business leaders confident Everson Museum can solve its fiscal crisis | syracuse.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 05:48 AM

Salt City Cuisine | Syracuse New Times

Old 01-29-2014, 10:38 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,079 times
I haven't been downtown in a couple years now but never had any trouble finding a spot. Don't like paying but dealt with it.

I can't parallel park. Never have even tried to be honest. Same with my wife. On the test we just had to back in behind one car. Same with all our kids. Then the last kid got a brownie that insisted. We had a hell of a time finding someone who knew how. Do it once and never again

Old 01-30-2014, 07:38 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times
The suburban mentality of the area and the hesitance to park more than a 1 block distance from their destination is a frequent compliant voiced by city boosters. I will say there has been a narrative that has developed over the past few years that assumes this is somehow unique to Syracuse because suburbanites are scared, potentially racist and uncomfortable being around different people such as homeless, et al. Certainly, some people have these thoughts but I also believe there are plenty of other people that would park further away if downtown were better maintained and the dead zones where there is available street parking were redeveloped with increased foot traffic and vitality.

Recently, I talked with a banking executive on the board of a downtown business improvement district in Des Moines and he echoed the same sentiments about people in the Des Moines area. That city is only slightly larger than Syracuse, yet more than 50,000 people work in the downtown area while just 25,000 people work in downtown Syracuse, a number that continues to drop precipitously. The number of residents living in downtown Des Moines is more than twice the number residing in downtown Syracuse. Even in mid-sized cities with far less crime, quality life issues and urban decay than Syracuse, this sentiment is very common.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
The suburban mentality of the area and the hesitance to park more than a 1 block distance from their destination is a frequent compliant voiced by city boosters. I will say there has been a narrative that has developed over the past few years that assumes this is somehow unique to Syracuse because suburbanites are scared, potentially racist and uncomfortable being around different people such as homeless, et al. Certainly, some people have these thoughts but I also believe there are plenty of other people that would park further away if downtown were better maintained and the dead zones where there is available street parking were redeveloped with increased foot traffic and vitality.

Recently, I talked with a banking executive on the board of a downtown business improvement district in Des Moines and he echoed the same sentiments about people in the Des Moines area. That city is only slightly larger than Syracuse, yet more than 50,000 people work in the downtown area while just 25,000 people work in downtown Syracuse, a number that continues to drop precipitously. The number of residents living in downtown Des Moines is more than twice the number residing in downtown Syracuse. Even in mid-sized cities with far less crime, quality life issues and urban decay than Syracuse, this sentiment is very common.
I'm not surprised by that, given the growth of big box shopping and the reality/perception of many Downtowns across the country.

I think also with Syracuse, the University Hill area acts as another Downtown, essentially, given the jobs and the businesses in the Crouse/Marshall area. I believe that about 37-38% of the area's employment is within 0-3 miles of the CBD and I bet that much of that is on the Hill.

Old 01-30-2014, 01:48 PM

1,671 posts, read 2,866,272 times

Weather History: Syracuse Blizzard of 1966 - YouTube

If the weather up there is getting you down, it could be worse. See video of the Blizzard of '66 in Syracuse. Stay warm!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:02 PM

Children`s Museum of Oswego Eager to Reveal Feasibility Study Results

Old 01-31-2014, 05:44 AM

Is this the beginning in terms of the consolidation of services? Will Onondaga County take over Syracuse parks? Will Syracuse pave Geddes streets? Consolidation is in the air | syracuse.com

Old 01-31-2014, 04:47 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,695 times

Kevin O'Leary says 3.5 billion people living in poverty is 'fantastic news' - YouTube

This is one of the funniest exchanges between people on television I've seen in years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area