Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2014, 06:01 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becca8377 View Post
Syracuse bound in a few hours
Be safe! Do you take the Pennsylvania Turnpike? I can't stand driving on it outside of the Philly area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2014, 06:25 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Be safe! Do you take the Pennsylvania Turnpike? I can't stand driving on it outside of the Philly area.
I'm taking 476 to 81, or wherever my GPS tells me to go - I've got a traffic indicator so it will reroute me if there's a faster way around traffic. Coming home on Sun is going to be a total cluster - it's the Manayunk Arts Fest which is one of Manayunk's biggest festivals of the year. Basically I'm screwed for trying to find parking.

Old 06-20-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
I'm taking 476 to 81, or wherever my GPS tells me to go - I've got a traffic indicator so it will reroute me if there's a faster way around traffic. Coming home on Sun is going to be a total cluster - it's the Manayunk Arts Fest which is one of Manayunk's biggest festivals of the year. Basically I'm screwed for trying to find parking.
Man, when does the festival settle down?

Old 06-20-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Man, when does the festival settle down?
It's Sat and Sun. Ends at 6 on Sun and I'm planning on getting back in town right in the middle of it, lol

Old 06-20-2014, 03:22 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
This article in The Wall Street Journal is hilarious. A man started a tourism business specializing in urban decay that brings out-of-town visitors to Buffalo. Tourists have the privilege of visiting bombed out shopping malls, ravaged public housing, and an empty train station among other spoils. In addition to Buffalo, the entrepreneur gives guided tours of North Korea. This negative article has caused some of the Queen City's most ardent cheerleaders to respond defensively in the comment section.

I'm sure Cuomo is livid that someone is showing the dark side of Buffalo. If only he could convince this guy to move his tours to Syracuse!

Visitors to Buffalo, N.Y., Find Beauty in Decay - WSJ

Old 06-20-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
This article in The Wall Street Journal is hilarious. A man started a tourism business specializing in urban decay that brings out-of-town visitors to Buffalo. Tourists have the privilege of visiting bombed out shopping malls, ravaged public housing, and an empty train station among other spoils. In addition to Buffalo, the entrepreneur gives guided tours of North Korea. This negative article has caused some of the Queen City's most ardent cheerleaders to respond defensively in the comment section.

I'm sure Cuomo is livid that someone is showing the dark side of Buffalo. If only he could convince this guy to move his tours to Syracuse!

Visitors to Buffalo, N.Y., Find Beauty in Decay - WSJ
Like I thought, some people have a thing for urban decay and oddly, do not look at it necessarily as a bad thing. So, there seems to be a fetish for things like this.

Also, I noticed that it said that homes in the eastern suburbs were being demolished, but I'm wondering if they meant the East Side of the city.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:30 AM

First day back in the area was awesome! Walking into my house for the first time since I left it completely empty was so strange, but the family living there now is absolutely amazing and they are taking wonderful care of the house! I'm so glad it's in good hands The Village of Liverpool was poppin last night for sure, had to drive around for a bit to find parking! Crazy! My friends and I went to White Water Pub, my favorite place, for dinner/drinks. Good times all around! The weather is absolutely perfect here right now, hoping it will come back to Philly with me, lol

Old 06-21-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
First day back in the area was awesome! Walking into my house for the first time since I left it completely empty was so strange, but the family living there now is absolutely amazing and they are taking wonderful care of the house! I'm so glad it's in good hands The Village of Liverpool was poppin last night for sure, had to drive around for a bit to find parking! Crazy! My friends and I went to White Water Pub, my favorite place, for dinner/drinks. Good times all around! The weather is absolutely perfect here right now, hoping it will come back to Philly with me, lol
Good to hear and I've noticed that during a couple of days off that there is quite a but of activity in Liverpool during the day. That surprised me, as I would think that it wouldn't get as busy until later in the day.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:15 PM

245 posts, read 432,051 times
Quote:
Like I thought, some people have a thing for urban decay and oddly, do not look at it necessarily as a bad thing. So, there seems to be a fetish for things like this.

Also, I noticed that it said that homes in the eastern suburbs were being demolished, but I'm wondering if they meant the East Side of the city.
I'll admit I have kind of a "fetish" for urban exploration. There are lots of resources online for fans of urbex, and unfortunately (or fortunately), New York has a lot to offer. This database is one of my favorites: Location Index: United States > New York - Urban Exploration Resource

Old 06-21-2014, 09:13 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsauce711 View Post
I'll admit I have kind of a "fetish" for urban exploration. There are lots of resources online for fans of urbex, and unfortunately (or fortunately), New York has a lot to offer. This database is one of my favorites: Location Index: United States > New York - Urban Exploration Resource
Upstate NY is the place for that type of thing. I am fascinated by the history of the tuberculosis sanitariums in the area. Your skin crawls just driving by them. The place in Utica gives me the creeps. Display Location: Broadacres - Urban Exploration Resource

I am sure Sranac Lake has some places to explore with their history of tuberculosis sanitariums and history of death and disease. A History of Saranac Lake - Historic Saranac Lake - LocalWiki

There are places like this tucked in weird places out in the Adirondacks. Forum - View Thread - Urban Exploration Resource
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area