Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 08:57 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times

Advertisements

I need to hire a long distnace moving company to do a whole house move. In the estimates i have received from the 'majors' in the Syracuse area the numbers seem reasonable, but i am unable to get a sense of the 'quality of service' aspect of their proposals. Everyoine says they will wrap everything, and treat it all with 'kid' gloves, but....how do i know until i hire them and it is too late?

Does anyone have any specific experience with Delany, Lincoln, Syracuse moving and storage, etc, representing the major carriers such as North American, Mayflower, Atlas, and even Palmisano who seems to do some long distance stuff?

TY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:17 AM

60 posts, read 109,864 times
I have had great experiences with Pelligra movers, including having them move a large piano at no extra charge.

Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,615,761 times
I used Allied and they were great. It was so much easier than trying to do it yourself. Everything arrived in one piece and I didn't have to break a sweat.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:34 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,269,682 times
If you wanna hire somebody start to finish, sorry I don't know anything about that.

But having a strong back and weak mind and growing up and living through the exodus out of NY have given me much experience loading moving containers!!!

For long distance I strong reccomend U-Pack by ABS Trucking. You pick the size and/or number of containers you need and they drop them off. You load them and seal them with your own locks. They pick them up and deliver them to were you are going.

They can also store the unit for you if there is some delay. Short term (one Month) is included but long term requires some money to change hands.

This Summer I loaded one in NY and took some cell phone pics. I drove the car to Seattle and called to have the container dropped off. When I opened the doors I compared pics and not one single thing had shifted even slightly.

Cost of the UPack is about half of PODS. Total cost of doing it thing way is somewhat less then renting a truck and car trailer and waaaaaaaaaaay easier.

Only way to go IMHO. I've loaded afew of these puppies out of NY but the Summer was the first time I was able to be at the destination.

Old 11-21-2011, 09:10 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,073,130 times
TY for the suggestions. I contacted Pelligra, but unfortunately their affililiation with an interstate carrier (Stevens Worldwide) has been dropped.

Back to the drawing board!

Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,525,463 times
Mayflower took over my shipping after my goods got to the mainland from Hawaii. I had talked to them several times to schedule when they would be at my apartment to deliver the goods. They never called when they were supposed to and I just happened to show up at the apartment about an hour after they were sitting there waiting. Besides that miscommunication, they were great. My goods actually got here before I had found an apartment so they stored them for me until I was ready to move in (2 months storage and I believe it was only $40 total for that).

Old 11-28-2011, 09:28 AM

298 posts, read 998,453 times
I moved from the Syracuse area to Maryland back in 2008 and went with Brown's Moving and Storage (Mayflower) and they were awesome. I paid to have them pack some things as well as load the truck and drive it to Maryland. The driver was great as were the movers and packers.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,608 times
HI,
My biggest piece of advice is to make sure you get a reliable moving company. ... They provide a long distance tractor-trailer.

Old 12-07-2011, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 7,798 times
My wife moved from Milwaukee to Syracuse using Greater Syracuse Moving & Storage, had the stuff stored at their warehouse then moved into our house a couple of months later. Everything went smoothly and the costs were very reasonable. We packed everything ourselves so I can't speak to that service. Give them a call.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:33 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,546,075 times
We moved from Syracuse, NY to Florida. We rented a Penske truck, loaded it ourselves, and drove it ourselves. Much cheaper and we got to deduct it on our taxes. And we knew where out belongings were at all times and we could control moving into our new home. They give a discount if you book it online and another discount if you use AAA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area