Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 PM

3 posts, read 5,139 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am in my mid 20's and looking for an apartment/townhouse not too far away from downtown Syracuse (around 20-25 minutes). I want a place that is quiet, safe, preferably has professionals near my age. I have been looking at many options, but it is hard to get a true assessment of the places based on what is provided online. I have also tried looking at reviews, but I have only found negative comments for almost all of them!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 02:16 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset24 View Post
Hi,

I am in my mid 20's and looking for an apartment/townhouse not too far away from downtown Syracuse (around 20-25 minutes). I want a place that is quiet, safe, preferably has professionals near my age. I have been looking at many options, but it is hard to get a true assessment of the places based on what is provided online. I have also tried looking at reviews, but I have only found negative comments for almost all of them!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Are you strictly looking at complexes or are you open to flats? What is your price range? How many bedrooms? Do you want certain amenities?

If you provide more info on your situation and what you're looking for, it will be alot easier to guide you in the right direction.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:02 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
20-25 minutes would get you well into countryside, in any direction.

What's your budget... and some of the things you like to do in your off-time?

Old 04-09-2012, 07:54 PM

Total (rent and utilities), I could afford somewhere between $800-$900. I am open to complexes or flats. 2 bedrooms would probably be ideal, but a 1 bedroom would be manageable. I work different shifts, and sometimes I don't get out of work until 12 or 1 in the morning; right now, I have a garage, which is a security for me when I am getting home late. I would prefer to have washer/dryer in my apartment, but it isn't a necessity. I really would like to have a patio of some sort to be able to go outside when we do have some nice weather in CNY! I know many reviews I have read state that a major complaint is noise level from neighbors; I definitely would want a place that doesn't have that problem.

On my off time, I like to be outside and active. I love running and working out, reading, going for walks, meeting new people.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:25 PM

93,391 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Look into Clayton Manor Apartments in the Liverpool area. I loved living there due to the location and it was very safe. I worked a 3-11 PM shift when I lived there and never felt unsafe and the building was quiet. It had or has a mix of young professionals, middle aged and older, retired folks. I would a little bit of each at the fitness room in the complex. They handled any repairs in a timely manner, in my experience. They are building newer apartments too.

You are close to the Taft Road Wegmans, the NYS Thruway, I-81, the village of Liverpool, Onondaga Lake Park, Electronics Park(which has a pool), Carousel Center and other places to shop in the Liverpool and North Syracuse areas.

I know that Onondaga Lake Park has kickball leagues and many people meetup there.

Clayton Manor Apartments for Rent | Liverpool NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com

Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Look into Clayton Manor Apartments in the Liverpool area. I loved living there due to the location and it was very safe. I worked a 3-11 PM shift when I lived there and never felt unsafe and the building was quiet. It had or has a mix of young professionals, middle aged and older, retired folks. I would a little bit of each at the fitness room in the complex. They handled any repairs in a timely manner, in my experience. They are building newer apartments too.

You are close to the Taft Road Wegmans, the NYS Thruway, I-81, the village of Liverpool, Onondaga Lake Park, Electronics Park(which has a pool), Carousel Center and other places to shop in the Liverpool and North Syracuse areas.

I know that Onondaga Lake Park has kickball leagues and many people meetup there.

Clayton Manor Apartments for Rent | Liverpool NY Apartments on Apartmentfinder.com
Correction, Electronics Park is now called Wemesfelder Park, according to the town website: Town of Salina Web Site

Town of Salina Web Site

Old 04-10-2012, 07:33 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
You may also want to look at Ravada Hill - owned by the same company that has Clayton Manor. They're also in Liverpool off Buckley Road and do have garages for rent, although I believe their rents are more expensive.

Craigslist is your best bet for flats. I live on the first floor of a historic house now and I swear they don't make houses like they used to because my neighbors and I rarely if ever hear each other. It has been a huge deal for me because I am an incredibly light sleeper.

The Villages such as Liverpool, Manlius, and Baldwinsville would give you lots of room for outdoor activities - all 3 have nice parks for walking/running. Tipp Hill could be an option as well - Burnet Park is right there. I have a few friends that live on Tipp Hill and love it.

CKH is right about the kickball - there are several leagues available as well as other sports like softball and soccer. I actually play kickball at Burnet Park every week. Here's the site for the leagues - Syracuse Sports Association: Dodgeball, Kickball, Mini Golf, Softball - Liverpool, NY

Old 04-11-2012, 08:14 PM

Thank you for the input everyone!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:49 AM

This may also be a good guide, if you don't mind a rental home as well: Syracuse, NY Apartments & Housing For Rent on Mapskrieg Apartment Maps

Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM

74 posts, read 88,978 times
I live at the James Apartments. Rent is 625 for the medium sized apartments. Additional 35 for parking in the lot behind the building. It is SUPER quiet. I live on the first floor right near the stairs and elevator, so I'm sure I get the most noise, and that's minimal. It's walking distance from downtown. Not the most upscale place, but definitely safe, quiet and close to downtown. No patio tho
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area