Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,654 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been posted but I can't get over how cheap the prices of houses are in Syracuse. How cheap can you go and still be buying a house in good condition that's also in a reasonable neighborhood? I've seen houses as low as $50,000 that look reasonable, but it almost seems too good to be true. With that said city-data says that the average price of a house price in Syracuse is $84,000 so it would it seem that at least going a little bit below that will still give you a decent home.

Is crime really that bad in Syracuse? Are there certain areas where you really do not want to live? If so, where are those areas?

Also, how tough is it for some with a masters in accounting to find a job in there field here?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 09:58 AM

93,357 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danman5 View Post
I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been posted but I can't get over how cheap the prices of houses are in Syracuse. How cheap can you go and still be buying a house in good condition that's also in a reasonable neighborhood? I've seen houses as low as $50,000 that look reasonable, but it almost seems too good to be true. With that said city-data says that the average price of a house price in Syracuse is $84,000 so it would it seem that at least going a little bit below that will still give you a decent home.

Is crime really that bad in Syracuse? Are there certain areas where you really do not want to live? If so, where are those areas?

Also, how tough is it for some with a masters in accounting to find a job in there field here?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Crime is not that bad outside of the inner city neighborhoods and that varies in terms of volume depending on the side of town.

You can get a home in suburban areas with at least solid schools for under 90k. It will depend on what you are looking for, but it isn't out of the question. What type of neighborhood/area would you be looking for?

As for someone with a master's in Accounting looking for a job, this may help: Central New York Accounting

Central New York Jobs in Accounting

Accounting jobs in Syracuse, NY - Indeed Mobile

Old 08-18-2012, 10:16 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
I live in a small city 20 miles outside Syracuse so the numbers will be different but pretty darn close. Houses are worth 25% more then Syracuse but income is 33% more so it works out.

50K don't buy much in either place. The house will be between a dump and just ok. The area will be bad. 50K here is roughly the point that Downstate slumlords start snapping them up for Section 8. To bring the house up to any kind of modern standards would require 40 years of updating. It would be expensive and you would never get your money back, not even close. Property crime would be very high. Your house would get broken into from time to time. Your car would get broken into nearly everyday. Drug related crime would be common. Violent crime would be low to zero.

Get around 100K and you can get a dumpy house in a nice area or a nice house in a dumpy area. You'd see alot of crime on the way home buy little outside your door. Car would get hit once in awhile but not weekly or anything. Violent crime would be a non-issue.

Between 100-200K is kinda a sweet spot. You can get either a small but nice house in a nice area or a real nice house in a semi-marginal area. Crime?? Whats crime??

Quarter mil gets you a very nice house surrounded by other very nice house but you still 250 miles from anything to do so leave enough extra to buy the toys you will need to amuse yourself.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:27 AM

^ No offense, but this doesn't make too much sense. If your range is around 125k, you can find something in just about any school district. There are plenty of things to do, but again, it depend on what you are looking for.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Everyone is different and looking for different things. We have looked at alot of houses and a buck and a quarter would be about our range. In towns that kinda money don't get far. Some nice houses but in craptastic areas. Or trashed nice house in nicer areas. Thats not to say they may not be good enough for somebody else.

That kinda money outside a town barely gets you a trailer.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Everyone is different and looking for different things. We have looked at alot of houses and a buck and a quarter would be about our range. In towns that kinda money don't get far. Some nice houses but in craptastic areas. Or trashed nice house in nicer areas. Thats not to say they may not be good enough for somebody else.

That kinda money outside a town barely gets you a trailer.
You must not have been looking hard enough, because you can find some nice homes throughout the area for that much, if not a little bit lower.

Here are some in one of the best school districts in the area: RealtyUSA - Property - Property-List

Old 08-18-2012, 10:51 AM

Oh my dear god do you see the taxes on those places??

Better to live in an area where you can put the money into the house then the taxes.

Its worse then I thought over that way.

Way over this way the house prices are alot higher but thats one time. Those taxes will eat one alive. Thats nutz.

Old 08-18-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Oh my dear god do you see the taxes on those places??

Better to live in an area where you can put the money into the house then the taxes.

Its worse then I thought over that way.

Way over this way the house prices are alot higher but thats one time. Those taxes will eat one alive. Thats nutz.
That is usually before exemptions and/or the rate of the last owner. Challenging your assessment doesn't hurt either. So, that isn't written in stone and you still come out less in comparison to many areas around the country in terms of overall housing costs. Given that the district is annually at a 95% grad rate with about 90% of those kids going on to college, it is being put to good use.

Old 08-18-2012, 01:21 PM

2 posts, read 6,654 times
Thanks for all the responses. I'm single with no immediate plans of having kids so I'm not too concerned about school districts. I just do not want to be in too crummy of a neighborhood. It would be nice to find a house in Syracuse or a surrounding town at least under 90k if possible. It looks like this is very possible, but I do appreciate opinions from people who live in and know the area.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:47 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,919 times
The phrase "If it is too good to be true, it probably is" exist for a reason. Houses under $100k are usually run down, in a bad location, or have sky high taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area