Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 10:25 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
The suspect was apprehended late last night. He is a resident of Cicero.
One of those had to be there moments. Literally as I was typing safe suburbs I got a text from a friend in Clay about that story.

My driving range for quick dinner places/ Home Depot run type trips is Herkimer to Clay so you can imagine the kinda week I'm having from a crime standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 10:34 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Schools in Syracuse are a subject all their own. Much of a child's public school education is dependent on the support s/he has from home. It's not that the education is poor; it's that many of the parents don't care and pass that trait on to their children. For many, I'm thinking, school is: 1) free childcare, 2) free breakfast and lunch to free up monthly EBT funds, and 3) a legal obligation until the child turns 16, at which point childcare is no longer necessary and they can start working a job themselves.

If you instantly switched all FM students with all Fowler students, those stats for FM would drop like a stone. Fowler would be the best local public high school, into years and years and stay that way. Parents need to give a $h!t.

When we're in the middle of something and I don't correct the work my children have - usually when wrong, repeatedly, it's because of the same "you need to think of it THIS way, see?" issues *I* had as a student - they get very little correct in school. If I don't make sure that they REALLY understand, via application of it (which is what I always need to understand something properly), they don't care about getting it wrong... because they don't understand why facts taught are valuable to life in x, y and z ways.

It's a family issue, not a school issue. When families don't care about learning, neither do their children. In other words, there's not so much wrong with the school as the support these children have.
But because kids tend to wanna run with the pack all else being equal your gonna get better results in FM or most SC schools or even Oneida then Syracuse with almost no effort.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:44 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
But because kids tend to wanna run with the pack all else being equal your gonna get better results in FM or most SC schools or even Oneida then Syracuse with almost no effort.
That's true... and that's likely because there are enough families in the city district who don't care that their version of normal seems like the majority. Those who don't want their children to think that it's normal to behave/live that way send their children to private schools or move to an area that more closely aligns with what they see as normal. Still, there are always exceptions. I have friends who went to those "bad schools" who excelled as students... because they had the support. And with all the opportunities AVAILABLE to children who do well in "bad schools," they were big fish in a small pond. Their parents knew that and kept them there, with supplementary programs to keep them busy outside of school, so that they'd have a different, personalized track of education. It's all as much as you are DETERMINED to get out of it. And I guess that learning to fight in the girls' bathrooms is a handy skill to have... because that WILL come up. There's only so much ANY child will allow others to spit in their hair. I could handle it. My oldest daughter is a soft old soul and would be crushed. My son would be destroyed because he's all bark and no bite. My youngest could take it but... why should I let her take it when I have better options? The taxes here are cheaper. The area in general is safer. The environment is better. It is CHEAPER to live in the FM district, if you look carefully, than the city.

A growing trend I keep seeing, here in Manlius, is of someone moving in, then having their families' children dropped off there to go to our schools. Their families chip in for the rent and they drop them off around 6-7am every day. There are 9 more children - yes, black children - at the bus stop than last year. It's a great idea. These people didn't realize how obvious it was but were glad that no one minded, once I offered that it was a good idea, and that no one would call the district about it. They're all young and get a better environment - one that their families want them to see as normal - for their children to thrive in... all sweet kids who are a little confused but glad to be our children's classmates. FM could use some color, that's for sure. :P There are plenty of non-white kids but most are adopted or from more wealthy MI families.

By the way, our son is the only white person in our family, so he says. The black children aren't black, they're like "all kinds of chocolate milk" and we're brown-y pink... and the other children are white and pink. My son is so blonde and pale - almost translucent, really - that I've been asked if he has leukemia on many occasions. Nice. lol - "no- he was just born pigment-deficient." And we're all brown-y pink because DH and I both have NA blood and get ruddy-faced pretty easily. Two of my siblings (teenagers) are super brown and LOOK like NAs. The rest - same parents - are pale, freckled and have white-blonde or red hair. Skin colors are just skin colors. Except for Manny- he's a friend of my husband's, who is so black the sheen off of his skin is purple. They love that! lol

Last edited by proulxfamily; 03-15-2013 at 11:10 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM

93,370 posts, read 124,009,048 times
SC schools vary, but I wouldn't use them as a barometer either. What hasn't been mentioned is that Syracuse City Schools have tons of ESL students versus other area districts. So, those students that don't have English as a primary language are going to need more attention and even if they need help, their parents need to be assimilated and may not have enough education themselves to help their children. This another apples to oranges comparison, as the circumstances are more complex in bigger, more diverse in many ways urban school districts versus a suburban/small town school district. This doesnt even get into the special education and economic aspects. With that said, Syracuse City high schools have sent kids to Ivies, military academies and other public/private colleges. So, experiences can vary.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-15-2013 at 11:07 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 10:59 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
One of those had to be there moments. Literally as I was typing safe suburbs I got a text from a friend in Clay about that story.

My driving range for quick dinner places/ Home Depot run type trips is Herkimer to Clay so you can imagine the kinda week I'm having from a crime standpoint.

I'm with you on that one. I know and have frequented both areas on literally hundreds of occasions, so this week as been tough for me as well. I can't begin to imagine what the families of these victims are going through. I hope they are able to get the help and support they need.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Syracuse is the useless armpit of NY and doesn't even register on a national scale. It's not an actual city, but it doesn't have the natural beauty as the ADKs. It doesn't have the jobs or things to do that the other NY metros along the thruway have. Other than a college basketball team that does well, there is nothing in Syracuse that you can't find anywhere else.
I wouldn't go that far, as the metros along the Thruway are pretty much similar. I wonder what you expected when you can here sight unseen?

Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Quote:

I went to elementary school with that kid. Not much of a shock. He was always trying to sit across from me at lunch. He was born was a disfigured face and had a stoma... his mother pureed his lunches (PB&J with bananas and milk) and the look of it was enough to make me too ill to eat. He'd sit across from me on the bus and stare at us. Creepy.

Just another reminder for me to always listen to that nagging little voice in the back of my head. Stay away from that person.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:17 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LCSDays View Post
I am more familiar with Rochester and Buffalo, but my question is why would you want to stay in the state? Syracuse is like every other city in the country - it has good points and bad ones. If you are bonded to the place because of employment, fine. You have to do what you have to do. We all do. But if you are free to make other choices, get out.

The weather sucks in ALL seasons, the job base (industrial) is diluted if not all but disappeared. You have some of the worst taxes in the country and it will not improve. The political situation in NY state is as sorry or worse than that of California and I did not even think that was possible.

NY State is dying and the politicians AND the citizens refuse to fix it. Companies are leaving in droves and most of the state, other than a few tourist areas are all but ghost towns.

A friend of mine was looking at houses in rural NY state, a town called Wellsville (not that far from Syracuse) and he and his wife found a magnificent, 4 BR, tudor-style home - for about 189 thousand !! It was amazing. And the taxes were 29,000 per year !!!!!!! I live in one of the worst tax states in the country and taxes on my house (no mansion by any stretch, a 1500 SF ranch house) are 3150 per year, and THAT is way too high for what I get. But almost ten times that in NY ???

Get out while you can. Everyone else is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Yeah we pay more in taxes but overall out cost of living is cheaper. South Carolina charges double the amount on insurances and even charges a luxury tax on vehicles....not to mention their education system sucks and so does everything else....some public schools in the south even charge their athletes to pay for things such as football equipment....and how does our weather suck we by far have one of the best summers in the country down south you can't even enjoy your summer because its too hot and blow just as much money on air condition as we do for heat....not to mention we have one of the nicest fall foliage in the country....amazing winters that people can enjoy by skiing snowboarding snow mobiling and more....that's what you call 4 seasons....also ny state is strategically located which offers a huge abundance of fresh water....move to Texas where they reuse sewer water....and as far as politics we're headed in a much better direction by cutting spending and thinking outside the box....as far as your murder statement you still have nothing to say about murders only being committed by gang on gang violence and forget to mention that 99 percent of the city is extremely safe...there are some streets in Detroit where police don't even drive down now does that sound like syracuse to you? Definitely not
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn88 View Post
Ok so move to Cali Arizona Texas Florida and deal with illegals and drug cartels, move to the south and deal the with southern drawwwwwwwwwl where they don't liiiiike yankeeees..move to dc where you waste your entire day in traffic...move out west where there's really nothing to do....leave syracuse to those who want to be here and leave your negative comments off of this forum and have some class
My bull chit meter is going off big time in this thread...

There is no house that costs $189k and has $29k/yr in taxes, no way, no how, not even in Upstate NY. Maybe $29k in back taxes were owed on the house. Quite a bit different.

If you want a good education down South for your kids, its not hard to find. As many threads as their are with Northerners praising Northern schools, there's just as many down south. If schools are important, you move to where schools are good in the South or Upstate or in Wyoming. Its all the same.

No one is drinking sewer water.

So many statements are thrown around about how bad the south is on these forums and it only makes me think that they're told for a reason- to keep people in NY by lying about how bad it is down there. Anyone with a car and $75 worth of gas can go down and see first hand that its all BS. Anyone with a computer can compare real taxes, real utility costs, crime rates, etc. People need to think for themselves. Its funny because people down there you will never hear them make fun of NY or anywhere else. That's class.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:25 AM

Mental illness is a serious sickness and probably was a factor in both incidents. Prayers out to the families involved.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
My bull chit meter is going off big time in this thread...

There is no house that costs $189k and has $29k/yr in taxes, no way, no how, not even in Upstate NY. Maybe $29k in back taxes were owed on the house. Quite a bit different.

If you want a good education down South for your kids, its not hard to find. As many threads as their are with Northerners praising Northern schools, there's just as many down south. If schools are important, you move to where schools are good in the South or Upstate or in Wyoming. Its all the same.

No one is drinking sewer water.

So many statements are thrown around about how bad the south is on these forums and it only makes me think that they're told for a reason- to keep people in NY by lying about how bad it is down there. Anyone with a car and $75 worth of gas can go down and see first hand that its all BS. Anyone with a computer can compare real taxes, real utility costs, crime rates, etc. People need to think for themselves. Its funny because people down there you will never hear them make fun of NY or anywhere else. That's class.
I agree, except for the last sentence. There are quite a few folks that don't want Northerners moving there and changing things, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area