Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2014, 11:48 AM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
He may not have been in a gang, but he paid the price of being guilty by association. The barber shop tends to fall under that category too because of some of their ties and because of some of the people that may have nothing to do with the barber shop other than living upstairs and hanging around outside the building.
If they aren't careful, Major Miner is going to start closing down all the barber shops ... just like the corner stores!!

What a joke this city can be sometimes. I love Syracuse, but it's a joke sometimes. We have an inept mayor and chief of police who have no desire to help with the crime in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 11:59 AM

93,375 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
If they aren't careful, Major Miner is going to start closing down all the barber shops ... just like the corner stores!!

What a joke this city can be sometimes. I love Syracuse, but it's a joke sometimes. We have an inept mayor and chief of police who have no desire to help with the crime in the city.
I think they do, but there is also the fact that crime has a major focus in the mainstream media here, as that is what people want to read about or see. That's not to say that there aren't high crime areas(what city in this country doesn't have that), but you can see how people react or come out of the woodwork in terms of certain crime incidents. It actually went down last year in comparison to the previous year and the crime rate is on par with cities like Salt Lake City, Providence and Boston.

Old 10-03-2014, 02:30 PM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just to clear something up, the information given was to explain the differences between the two areas and why/how it came to be. I don't think whatever happens with the I-81 viaduct is going to single handedly transform anything, but MAY open things up for development. Likevpeople have said though, the vision and plan has to be in place in order for anything good to come from it.

Also, it isn't going to take a breakthrough in terms of one event, expansion or change, but there needs to be some structural changes in terms of government and personnel, including organizations like Center State CEO.

With the last part, I think the new thing is the Sankofa Park project. Many gather to debate the creation and design of Sankofa Park *|*The Stand

From listening to Walt Dixie on 620 AM on Sunday mornings, it seems like there has been some issues with funding. Hence, the issues with the new grocery store getting started on South Ave, for an example. I'm not sure if this is why the corridor project/plains haven't come through, but People's AME Zion Church has been trying to jump start things, with some minimal success.
I wonder how much of the delay with the PriceRite supermarket on South Avenue has to do with Dixie and the way in which his organization structured the deal. If I remember correctly, Dixie purchased a vacant building on South Avenue with a government grant. Initially, his plans were to create a community-owned supermarket. This venture was to be run by his nonprofit, Jubilee Homes (or an affiliated non-profit offshoot). Dixie was unable to get the project off the ground. I believe many nearby residents signed up for loyalty rewards cards as a way of supporting the project. At the same time his independent supermarket project was floundering, PriceRite, a subsidiary of New Jersey-based ShopRite entered the Syracuse market with a store on Erie Boulevard at Teall Avenue. PriceRite was considering a store on South Avenue. If you recall, Mayor Miner and the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency (SIDA) were trying to assemble a single parcel of land and even acquired several adjacent vacant buildings and/or lots in order to accommodate the proposed supermarket. The project was offered a state grant in the second round of the Regional Economic Development Council awards in 2012. Although PriceRite was interested, Dixie already owned the building whose purchase was only made possible through a government grant which was handed to Walt Dixie. Earlier this year, The Post-Standard wrote an article on recent money troubles plaguing Dixie's nonprofit agency and briefly mentioned the project. He wanted to lease the space to PriceRite and collect rent which would then be used sustain his nonprofit agency. The only reason Dixie has title to that property was through a government grant and he should not be allowed to use a property purchased with taxpayer dollars as a cash cow to supplement the dwindling revenue of his own non-profit organization.

He either needs to sell the vacant building to PriceRite or another developer, or refund the $200,000 to $300,000+ grant he received from the City. The difference between Dixie and Daren Jaime is like night and day. It's unfortunate that Pastor Jaime lacks the political connections of Walt Dixie. In his short time in Syracuse, Jaime as done far more with substantially fewer resources than Dixie has accomplished over four decades.

Old 10-03-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollsRoyce View Post
I wonder how much of the delay with the PriceRite supermarket on South Avenue has to do with Dixie and the way in which his organization structured the deal. If I remember correctly, Dixie purchased a vacant building on South Avenue with a government grant. Initially, his plans were to create a community-owned supermarket. This venture was to be run by his nonprofit, Jubilee Homes (or an affiliated non-profit offshoot). Dixie was unable to get the project off the ground. I believe many nearby residents signed up for loyalty rewards cards as a way of supporting the project. At the same time his independent supermarket project was floundering, PriceRite, a subsidiary of New Jersey-based ShopRite entered the Syracuse market with a store on Erie Boulevard at Teall Avenue. PriceRite was considering a store on South Avenue. If you recall, Mayor Miner and the Syracuse Industrial Development Agency (SIDA) were trying to assemble a single parcel of land and even acquired several adjacent vacant buildings and/or lots in order to accommodate the proposed supermarket. The project was offered a state grant in the second round of the Regional Economic Development Council awards in 2012. Although PriceRite was interested, Dixie already owned the building whose purchase was only made possible through a government grant which was handed to Walt Dixie. Earlier this year, The Post-Standard wrote an article on recent money troubles plaguing Dixie's nonprofit agency and briefly mentioned the project. He wanted to lease the space to PriceRite and collect rent which would then be used sustain his nonprofit agency. The only reason Dixie has title to that property was through a government grant and he should not be allowed to use a property purchased with taxpayer dollars as a cash cow to supplement the dwindling revenue of his own non-profit organization.

He either needs to sell the vacant building to PriceRite or another developer, or refund the $200,000 to $300,000+ grant he received from the City. The difference between Dixie and Daren Jaime is like night and day. It's unfortunate that Pastor Jaime lacks the political connections of Walt Dixie. In his short time in Syracuse, Jaime as done far more with substantially fewer resources than Dixie has accomplished over four decades.
Trust me, a lot of people in the community have mad respect for Pastor Jaime and I think if he wants to stay in the area, it is a matter of time that his clout will increase. I really think that would be up to him as to what direction he really wants to go in. His show is also very informative and I literally listen to it regularly, as you find out about events and issues in the community, on the micro and macro level, in a way other media outlets here don't. George Kilpatrick is also pretty good, but his show is more of an inspirational show on Sunday mornings. Hence, the name of the show.

I believe that the property that Dixie has/had planned for the grocery store is the former Loblaw's at the corner of South Ave and Bellevue Ave, which is 3/4 blocks from where I first grew up actually. It pretty much looks the same and I think you are right in terms of having a developer or PriceRite themselves take over the building, if things are stalling under the current conditions.

Old 10-08-2014, 07:23 AM

An article that offers a historical context in terms of what happens to the neighborhood that 81 ran through and what the current situation could do to the current neighborhood: A Highway Runs Through It: Syracuse and the Future of Interstate 81 | Urban CNY

Old 11-10-2014, 12:02 PM

I-81 break down: Urban Strategies

I-81 break down: Main Street recommendations

Old 11-25-2014, 08:01 AM

NYSDOT begins to think about future of urban design in Syracuse

Old 12-29-2014, 06:29 AM

I didn't know that a tunnel was still an option, but it appears that it is according to this opinion piece: 2015 is a critical year for the future of Interstate 81 (Commentary) | syracuse.com

The Access Syracuse Plan | Save 81

Old 01-20-2015, 05:20 PM

865 posts, read 2,162,059 times
This is bad news - and this is why Syracuse will eventually fail. These people are COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY. They are selfish, too. They want to "Save the city" ... but propose asinine things like taking the Interstate out.

These so-called Urban Planners are self-centered, disconnected "academics" with their head so far up their rear end, it is coming out of their mouth again. To them, people can just bike to work ... even if you live in Lafayette or Cicero. Or take 481 ... which will more than double many people's commute. But as long as they can walk from Meadowbrook or Westcott to SUcampus ... they are happy.

These are the people who try to say they are saving the area ... but do every thing within their power to drive every existing business out. Stuff like this disgusts me.

Syracuse city council: Tear down the I-81 viaduct | syracuse.com

Old 01-20-2015, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
This is bad news - and this is why Syracuse will eventually fail. These people are COMPLETELY DISCONNECTED FROM REALITY. They are selfish, too. They want to "Save the city" ... but propose asinine things like taking the Interstate out.

These so-called Urban Planners are self-centered, disconnected "academics" with their head so far up their rear end, it is coming out of their mouth again. To them, people can just bike to work ... even if you live in Lafayette or Cicero. Or take 481 ... which will more than double many people's commute. But as long as they can walk from Meadowbrook or Westcott to SUcampus ... they are happy.

These are the people who try to say they are saving the area ... but do every thing within their power to drive every existing business out. Stuff like this disgusts me.

Syracuse city council: Tear down the I-81 viaduct | syracuse.com
I don't think it would be a matter of taking 481 from Cicero or taking 81 to 481 from LaFayette. I think people can take 81, but the question comes in regards to getting Downtown or to University Hill. Will it be surface streets at a certain point? Will it the boulevard be similar to what Fulton has in regards to the surface level of 481 through that city? This is if they remove a portion of 81.

Also, what economic plans do they have for this area if they get what they want?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-20-2015 at 06:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area