Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 11:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
NG is always at the top of BTU's per dollar. And nothing can ever come close to NG for ease.

I personally don't care for coal stoves and can't see ever having another house with one. A wood stove I would have but only it I had a large ammount of very cheap wooded land. And then I'd only do it for fun cause unless tractors and chainsaws have gotten cheaper I never seen any savings. But it is fun.
Also fun because it's cheaper than therapy. (Free heat is fun, right?) :P "I'm MAD! <chop> Get away from me, I'm having another contraction! <chop>" D@mn- I never had to watch my weight when I lived in the country. Easy-peasy things add up.

Tractors not necessary; just thin out the tree lines and put everyone to work. "I'm BORED!" Oh really?!!!! Well...

Chainsaws are just something you have... a lot of, at that. If you have a particularly industrious family, there are a few boys and girls who enjoy fixing or inventing things. :P My 10 year-old brother made a brush-hog from 6 old mowers. It's fantastic. lol

A simple living is a good one, imo: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=f3962884aa

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=967b89111a

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...7&l=fb4d0ffd0a

Last edited by proulxfamily; 05-12-2013 at 11:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 01:02 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Costs a lot of money to live your idea if a simple life. Getting that trackhoe to show up would be a years pay for me.

I been trying to live simpler myself. One of the biggest reasons I want out of NY. Get away from heating outright. And the massive property taxes that force me to work more which gets me in the crosshairs of state and federal income taxes……

Be nice to just live without state control of everything. God I can't wait to get out of this dump.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:17 PM

93,385 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Not too bad for those that may want a short commute and work on University Hill: Syracuse Real Estate - 1324 Meadowbrook Dr, Syracuse, NY, 13224

Another possibility for those that want decent area within city limits: Syracuse Real Estate - 117 Hensberry Rd, Syracuse, NY, 13207

Another one hidden within city limits: Syracuse Real Estate - 100 Inverness Pl, Syracuse, NY, 13219

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-12-2013 at 02:09 PM..

Old 05-13-2013, 12:08 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Out in Fabius-Pompey, there are more windmills than solar panels. It's just slower there, really... something I enjoy. There are quite a few properties that aren't grid tied at all. One of the biggest farmers just recently went to non-generator power, through an array of solar, windmills and hydro-power. With big families - people who stay because they want to - there's little concern about who will haul in anything. Many hands make for light work. Coal is a lot less work than a woodstove, that's for sure. A pellet stove would be even easier.

It's not for everyone but... I'm not saying it is either. It *could* be for most but I'm thinking most wouldn't be thrilled with it. For us, it's ideal. I don't like paying for or using natural gas or oil, when there are both easier and cheaper alternatives. And hello? Built-in workout! I actually prefer wood because it's more work... but it also costs no money at all.
I get what you are saying, but there isn't too much that is cheaper and easier than natural gas. Its always ready, burns clean, and there's really no maintenance needed for the boiler like oil. No traps to clean out or anything to store. But I understand your choice of lifestyle and respect your self sufficiency.

As a "one person family" who is pretty mobile in my travels, I reckon it would be extremely lonely for me to live off the grid in a remote location and nearly impossible without help, although the lifestyle is intriguing to me. That show "Mountain Men" which was on the History Channel, depicts the most self sufficient people in the US and all of them have either family or interns to help them out. Its a constant struggle for most of them just to stay healthy and alive:

Eustace Conway - Mountain Men Cast - History.com

Old 05-13-2013, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Costs a lot of money to live your idea if a simple life. Getting that trackhoe to show up would be a years pay for me.

I been trying to live simpler myself. One of the biggest reasons I want out of NY. Get away from heating outright. And the massive property taxes that force me to work more which gets me in the crosshairs of state and federal income taxes……

Be nice to just live without state control of everything. God I can't wait to get out of this dump.
The Northeast in general is just a tough place to live. The quality of housing and apartments for what you pay is the biggest issue, for me. Always has been. When I see what those HGTV shows people getting in Texas and Georgia for $150k, its mind boggling.

Old 05-13-2013, 03:30 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Last year my sister in law in Texas offered the first house they bought in Texas to family first at a very fair price. It was at market value but on the lower end.

Small house in the woods (the area is called like the Big Woods or some crap) on a couple acres. Taxes were like a couple hundred a year and utilities basically zero for us.

We were talking basicly under a grand a year living cost. Job market is very good in that area so we could have either saved a freakin fortune or worked less and just enjoyed life.

BUt noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we had to stay in NY and pay tens of thousands in taxes and heating costs.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
The Northeast in general is just a tough place to live. The quality of housing and apartments for what you pay is the biggest issue, for me. Always has been. When I see what those HGTV shows people getting in Texas and Georgia for $150k, its mind boggling.
It varies within the Northeast though. What you get in Central NJ is going to be different from what you get in Central NY. 150k for home is possible up here, even in the more upper middle class areas/towns. So, the Northeast isn't monolithic in terms of housing/rental costs.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It varies within the Northeast though. What you get in Central NJ is going to be different from what you get in Central NY. 150k for home is possible up here, even in the more upper middle class areas/towns. So, the Northeast isn't monolithic in terms of housing/rental costs.
I agree, but I'm referring more to the quality of overall housing stock, and more importantly, apartment quality. Its sadly lacking in the Northeast. In my job search across the northeast, I found many places to just have a serious lack of really decent places to live for the cost.

Sure, you can spend a lot of money and live well, but when keeping inline with the average salary of the area, its next to impossible to afford a nice place when earning the average salary.

Basically, you can get a 70's style brick garden apartment with questionable tenants in a more blue collar area for the same price as paradise in many places south and west. If you don't want to spend over $800 or so, you're in for a real treat when you start to search for nice apartments Upstate and other areas across the northeast.

If, by chance you do find a nice one, you can bet its the only one and there's no other real choice. I've heard this time and time again from residents in these areas, too. In the Northeast, also prepare for 1st and last months rent as security deposit. $2600 up front in some places (again, this is coming from actual experience). Here its $100 and first months rent isn't due till the 1st of the month.

For example, an apartment that here would be the average is really expensive in NY. This one is for $1270 a month in Troy, not exactly a upscale city, nor is it really a desirable place to live:

The Woods Apartments - Troy, NY 12180 | Apartments for Rent

These are some decent places Upstate (Paddocks at Saratoga, Winners Circle in Ballston Spa), but you're looking at $1300 a month regardless of what the ads say to get you in the door. Trust me, I got through the door and they're expensive... Average salaries in these areas are just not in line with these prices.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Last year my sister in law in Texas offered the first house they bought in Texas to family first at a very fair price. It was at market value but on the lower end.

Small house in the woods (the area is called like the Big Woods or some crap) on a couple acres. Taxes were like a couple hundred a year and utilities basically zero for us.

We were talking basicly under a grand a year living cost. Job market is very good in that area so we could have either saved a freakin fortune or worked less and just enjoyed life.

BUt noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo we had to stay in NY and pay tens of thousands in taxes and heating costs.
Wow. What kept you from going?

When you get down to brass tacks and compare your life in southern areas (in my case) or places out west, and do a true side-by-side comparison, you realize it truly is tough to live there. The salaries are lower and the cost of everything is higher. I love the history in the Northeast, love the scenery, but when reality sets in, they don't pay the bills.

When you break down the salary, and divide it by 12 to see what you have per month to spend, and then shop for a place to live and see whats available, its just mind-boggling what the difference in quality of life there is. There's really no other way I can explain it, until you've lived it.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
I agree, but I'm referring more to the quality of overall housing stock, and more importantly, apartment quality. Its sadly lacking in the Northeast. In my job search across the northeast, I found many places to just have a serious lack of really decent places to live for the cost.

Sure, you can spend a lot of money and live well, but when keeping inline with the average salary of the area, its next to impossible to afford a nice place when earning the average salary.

Basically, you can get a 70's style brick garden apartment with questionable tenants in a more blue collar area for the same price as paradise in many places south and west. If you don't want to spend over $800 or so, you're in for a real treat when you start to search for nice apartments Upstate and other areas across the northeast.

If, by chance you do find a nice one, you can bet its the only one and there's no other real choice. I've heard this time and time again from residents in these areas, too. In the Northeast, also prepare for 1st and last months rent as security deposit. $2600 up front in some places (again, this is coming from actual experience). Here its $100 and first months rent isn't due till the 1st of the month.

For example, an apartment that here would be the average is really expensive in NY. This one is for $1270 a month in Troy, not exactly a upscale city, nor is it really a desirable place to live:

The Woods Apartments - Troy, NY 12180 | Apartments for Rent

These are some decent places Upstate (Paddocks at Saratoga, Winners Circle in Ballston Spa), but you're looking at $1300 a month regardless of what the ads say to get you in the door. Trust me, I got through the door and they're expensive... Average salaries in these areas are just not in line with these prices.
It still varies in terms of apartment quality too. Albany is more expensive than other parts of Upstate NY too. There's actually a thread about this on here.

As for salaries, you may want to check this thread out: Average Annual Salary Increases 2.23% in Syracuse Area in 2011

Check out the article posted in the first post and notice where certain areas fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area