Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 06:20 AM

17 posts, read 19,338 times

Advertisements

I'd have to agree with Doggerslover. No nice way to put it, quite snobby. I looked into settling there when I moved back to NY from Maryland a couple years ago. Property taxes are insane. Properties themself are priced well above surrounding areas. Wandered around town trying to get a feel for it and felt like I had the plague.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:15 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmil View Post
Property taxes are insane. Properties themself are priced well above surrounding areas.
Actually, they're priced very competitively with surrounding areas, especially since the surrounding areas have very high property values anyway... Pompey, Manlius, and Fayetteville aren't known for their low taxes and real estate.

And considering that it's a quaint old town on a lovely little lake, of COURSE taxes are higher, the closer you get to it.

As for being friendly, I really don't understand this. If you're just visiting and wandering around, there's not much to see. You need to go FOR something... have a few cups of coffee or a pot of tea in Common Grounds coffeehouse and read the paper and jump in on interesting conversation you overhear, at the appropriate time. Getting to know a place/people is just the same in Caz as anywhere else. People aren't going to just ask you to sit with them and ask if you're new in town- I'd say half the people are "new." If what you were expecting was to be called in from the street to have a drink with the locals in the Lincklaen House basement tavern, I don't know what to tell you. LOL

Old 01-11-2009, 05:58 PM

17 posts, read 19,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
Actually, they're priced very competitively with surrounding areas, especially since the surrounding areas have very high property values anyway... Pompey, Manlius, and Fayetteville aren't known for their low taxes and real estate.

And considering that it's a quaint old town on a lovely little lake, of COURSE taxes are higher, the closer you get to it.

As for being friendly, I really don't understand this. If you're just visiting and wandering around, there's not much to see. You need to go FOR something... have a few cups of coffee or a pot of tea in Common Grounds coffeehouse and read the paper and jump in on interesting conversation you overhear, at the appropriate time. Getting to know a place/people is just the same in Caz as anywhere else. People aren't going to just ask you to sit with them and ask if you're new in town- I'd say half the people are "new." If what you were expecting was to be called in from the street to have a drink with the locals in the Lincklaen House basement tavern, I don't know what to tell you. LOL
Thank you. I think you made my point. LOL

Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM

3 posts, read 7,917 times
Default Cazenovia Sucks

I grew up in Cazenovia and graduated high school there and I always felt like an outcast. It is a snobby town.
I haven't returned since I graduated in 1993 and I never will. There is nothing to do and the people are so stuck on themselves that it is truly pitiful.
When I left Cazenovia I found that making friends was so easy. SCREW CAZ!!!!!!

Old 02-19-2009, 10:32 PM

242 posts, read 1,184,717 times
I disagree with most of this. It is a smaller town, which obviously isnt for everybody. But it is very peaceful. The people are nice and I find it to be a very liberal community. Maybe it had some issues in the past, but much has changed since the 1950s-60s, no?

My family moved to Caz two years ago and I always have a good time when I go to visit. Too small town for me, but like I said. It isn't for everybody.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:56 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,427,541 times

YouTube - East Lake Road

Old 04-08-2009, 05:38 PM

3 posts, read 7,917 times
Default Let the snobs have Cazenovia

I have written before about Cazenovia. I had the unfortunate experience of growing up there with the snobs. Then I left after high school in 1993 and haven't yet returned. I now live in Colorado and am happy to be FAR FAR AWAY!! Lets not even mention the incredibly crappy winters there. It seemed to never stop snowing.
I don't miss my lousy former lousy high school classmates. When I moved away in 1993 I couldn't believe how easy it was to make friends.
That place sucks!!! Class of 1993 sucks and so do all of the other classes. GO TO HELL CAZ!! I hate you just as much now as I did 16 years ago.

Old 04-08-2009, 05:50 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
Do you have a timer that goes off every 2 months that reminds you to bitterly whine about your experience in Caz? LOL - you posted in this very thread... actually, this very PAGE, just a short while ago. It's only four posts from the top. Geez.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:03 PM

406 posts, read 1,451,052 times
Something must have traumatized the poor fellow in his formative years. Maybe his milk money was stolen. It does seem that he should move on, and enjoy his new buddies.

Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 PM

4 posts, read 7,649 times
The one poster above said it correctly when they said it is a liberal community-which is why it's infinitesimally worse than the 50's or 60's conservatives. Liberal snobs are the worst kind. (especially the downstate ones that have overrun the area). Oh sure. They'll hang out on the corner and protest the war or the bad ole president-but then they'll jump in their pretentious mini coopers (the epitome of liberal snobdom-a small "green" car, but still an "I'm-better- than- you" BMW) and then go home to their trophy houses, lock the doors and then activate their Time Warner anti-theft systems to keep Negroes away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area