Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 06:51 AM

6 posts, read 12,533 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are currently renting in Syracuse NY and looking to buy a home nearby. Our children are about to enter school so a good school district is very important to us. We have looked in Fayetteville & Manlius but some of the taxes are too high. Is Camillus NY a good area for schools & families? Any information would be helpful. We have only been living in Syracuse for 6 months or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2014, 07:09 AM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
Yes. There really are no bad areas in Camillus that I can think of.
I wish they had more sidewalks on Genesee Street, but that is the only issue I can think of. With Township 5 coming soon, there will be even more for families to enjoy.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:17 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToeJam View Post
Yes. There really are no bad areas in Camillus that I can think of.
I wish they had more sidewalks on Genesee Street, but that is the only issue I can think of. With Township 5 coming soon, there will be even more for families to enjoy.
^This and you have plenty of shopping in the area already, which will increase as ToeJam mentioned. You can find a range of home prices, especially in the Fairmount portion of the town, which can range from starter homes to relatively recently built homes. Plenty of extra curricular activities in the school district and plenty of parks in the town as well.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Yes, and young teens can visit the Townshop for activities..an award
winning Youth Center.
Kayaking, concerts, cross cty skiing, volunteering groups to horse rescue feeding every Sat,
to helping at soup kitchens, open mike poetry and music, whale watching trips
to Cape Cod...a 3 story building with ping pong, pool tables, parents welcome for
meet and greets.
(Strict rules...if you even smell of alcohol or pot...you could even be banned
But apologizes are accepted...)

VERY kind people in charge.

Old 05-22-2014, 07:58 AM

Thank you all so much for the replies!!!

Old 06-02-2014, 09:20 PM

423 posts, read 458,245 times
If you are still active on this I would also suggest Dewitt and Jamesville area. Great school district(jamesville-dewitt). Taxes are not as high as in Manlius/Fayetteville and the place is really close to downtown. There is a shopping town mall in the Dewitt area, kmart, wegmans, tops, and a handful of restaurants. Granted there isn't much around, it's got the basics. Homes range from average to really nice(like $1 mil +)

I've been through camillus once, didn't get a indepth look at the place, but I wasn't digging the area just from what I saw. Seems too far out from the city and too close to the south/west side of Syracuse.

Old 06-03-2014, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Range View Post
If you are still active on this I would also suggest Dewitt and Jamesville area. Great school district(jamesville-dewitt). Taxes are not as high as in Manlius/Fayetteville and the place is really close to downtown. There is a shopping town mall in the Dewitt area, kmart, wegmans, tops, and a handful of restaurants. Granted there isn't much around, it's got the basics. Homes range from average to really nice(like $1 mil +)

I've been through camillus once, didn't get a indepth look at the place, but I wasn't digging the area just from what I saw. Seems too far out from the city and too close to the south/west side of Syracuse.
It is a second ring suburb and the areas on the West Side that you go through aren't that bad along West Genesee Street. It really isn't that close to the South Side and actually much of the outer SW neighborhoods are fine to really nice like Strathmore and Winkworth.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:46 PM

Thank you! We are also looking in the Jamesville/Dewitt areas. As well as Clay.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hisbelovediam View Post
Thank you! We are also looking in the Jamesville/Dewitt areas. As well as Clay.
Is there anything that you are looking for in a community?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:16 PM

1,538 posts, read 2,616,609 times
I was driving down Genesee St. yesterday and there is a lot of road work going on. Part of the roadwork is new sidewalks and curbs. It will make Camillus much more walkable. There is a lot of construction going on around there too. A new pain management doctor, a Wendy's, McDonalds, and Delta Sonic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area