Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 10:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,477 times

Advertisements

Hi! I am considering a job at Syracuse University (moving with my husband and daughter from Kentucky) and would preferably like to live in a small town outside the city. I've heard a lot of great things about Skaneateles and done a fair amount of research.

I have had a couple of people comment on how dreary winters are in Central NY. I can handle the snow, and cold, and some gray days, but to me dreary = depressing. in that sense, would you say winters in Skaneateles are dreary/depressing? Or is it nothing a warm fire and good food can't fix

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2017, 11:42 AM

93,204 posts, read 123,819,554 times
It can be "dreary" if you let it be. Meaning, stay active if you can, as there are still things going on during the winter. For instance, Skaneateles has this winter festival: Dickens Christmas

Just curious, but what is your budget? Skaneateles is relatively affluent for the area, but it is a nice, walkable village that can be quite vibrant during the warmer months. Its proximity to Auburn and the western suburbs/city of Syracuse allows for more options within minutes.

Also, if you want a small town type of atmosphere, places like Cazenovia(similar vibe as Skan.), Marcellus(next town to the east), Chittenango(north of Caz and east of Fayetteville) or even villages in bigger school districts like the villages of Fayetteville and Manlius in the F-M SD and Baldwinsville.

With Skaneateles, it is SW of Syracuse. Same for Marcellus. Cazenovia, Chittenango and F-M are east of the city. Baldwinsville is NW of Syracuse. F-M would be the shortest commute out of the areas mentioned as the University is east of Downtown.

Are there any specifics about what you are looking for?

Old 04-12-2017, 11:51 AM

46 posts, read 50,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrmoody View Post
Hi! I am considering a job at Syracuse University (moving with my husband and daughter from Kentucky) and would preferably like to live in a small town outside the city. I've heard a lot of great things about Skaneateles and done a fair amount of research.

I have had a couple of people comment on how dreary winters are in Central NY. I can handle the snow, and cold, and some gray days, but to me dreary = depressing. in that sense, would you say winters in Skaneateles are dreary/depressing? Or is it nothing a warm fire and good food can't fix

Thanks, in advance, for your replies.
Hi MCR - My wife and I have been contemplating Skaneateles for some time as well - really great little town but as you have mentioned we are hesitant about the winters and a seemingly struggling economy and population numbers that seem to be decreasing on an annual basis. I would suggest spending some time in the area before making any decisions.

CHthankgod provides a lot of good information on the area, but he really is the only one that posts on this forum for Syracuse for the most part (as you can see if you look down the list of forum topics) - not sure if that is a good or a bad thing....Positive spin would be everyone is out and about and too busy to visit/write on the forum!

Old 04-12-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmacNY View Post
Hi MCR - My wife and I have been contemplating Skaneateles for some time as well - really great little town but as you have mentioned we are hesitant about the winters and a seemingly struggling economy and population numbers that seem to be decreasing on an annual basis. I would suggest spending some time in the area before making any decisions.

CHthankgod provides a lot of good information on the area, but he really is the only one that posts on this forum for Syracuse for the most part (as you can see if you look down the list of forum topics) - not sure if that is a good or a bad thing....Positive spin would be everyone is out and about and too busy to visit/write on the forum!
Actually, population numbers have shown drops in terms of estimates, but have shown population growth in official population numbers. Job growth has been up and down, but there have been recent job growth announcements. Employment, which the OP appears to have locked down already, will depend on what you can do and where you can get in.

As for how I post, it doesn't have anything to do with "positive spin" or " being out and about and not being busy". There are things called breaks at work and mobile devices. If that was the case, then the areas that are growing like "wildfire" wouldn't have any posters.

Anyway OP, something to consider is the commute, as there are some fine communities within a shorter drive to SU. With that said, they are bigger school districts than Skaneateles as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-12-2017 at 02:04 PM..

Old 04-13-2017, 06:15 PM

24 posts, read 27,045 times
Keep in mind that Skaneateles is located west of Syracuse University - that means sun in your eyes on the commute both ways.

Old 04-20-2017, 08:08 AM

Here is a video that gives an idea of what the community looks like and other nearby sites in the Finger Lakes region: https://youtu.be/Pxx7Qe8fxqI

Old 04-24-2017, 03:29 PM

14 posts, read 20,265 times
Okay so CKHthankgod is a bit biased. I'm not.

I know Skaneateles very well as I considered moving there but didn't. The schools are quite good - best west of the city. We moved east of the city and are in the FM district. It's a better school district but different community setting. When you factor everything in - they are on par with one another. I go to rochester a lot so I'd rather be in Skaneateles quite frankly. Rochester has "more to it" than Syracuse. Perhaps consider a position at RIT?

Now you mention the economy. It's horrible out here. It's horrible. There are no jobs unless you work in healthcare in which case, you are going to be working at hospitals which do not rank very highly. I suggest you USNews them. The job market overall though - struggles greatly. And then there's that whole

Exodus - drive around this time of year and you see for sale signs everywhere. That's because kids are graduating high school. I've met so many people who have left the area after their kids have left because they just want "out" of CNY.

SU - as an employer, I know two professors casually. It does not have a great reputation with the exception of the Maxwell School. Beyond that you are going to a big box school so unless that job is going to be paying serious cash, I'd recommend not taking the job. Keep in mind, once you are here and employed at SU - if it's in academia - you are here forever. Syracuse and the surrounding community are not some place I'd want to be "forever".

Now - I met a couple recently in Skaneateles who were overhauling their house. I met them at this bar and we just started chatting. I got their whole life story. Anyway - they moved out here and decided to make Skaneateles their "home base". It was a cheap home - they renovated it - and they plan on traveling extensively. For that lifestyle, sure Skaneateles sounds like a good option. The airport is kinda far but it's very easy to get in and out of on a daily basis. Trust me - I'm there enough. But you are landlocked. It's not a hub so everywhere fun takes 2 trips.

Back to healthcare - if hospitals are of interest to you - stay away from CNY. I suggest doing some research on them because you'll quickly learn how they stack up against hospitals on the east coast. I have a friend whose son is a congenital health issue and he has to drive to Rochester's children hospital because the programs are better there. Syracuse hospitals are fine for "certain" conditions but for the most part - eh!

On to the winters. It snows a lot here but that's not the issue. It's the lake effect weather patterns and how they impact days of sunshine. Check out the weather reports. It's very overcast during the winter. And it's really tough on your psyche. I've met too many people who became alcoholics locating to this area because they lived somewhere else. I visited Denver a lot and what a difference. You don't realize how much you miss the sun until you go to a place that gets a lot of it. Just looking out the window now and there's just this thin white film over the sky. The blue isn't as crisp.

Speaking of chemical dependence - we have a massive issue with heroin out here.

I don't know where you live in Kentucky but I'd avoid the position.

Old 04-25-2017, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiasedviews View Post

I know Skaneateles very well as I considered moving there but didn't. The schools are quite good - best west of the city. We moved east of the city and are in the FM district. It's a better school district but different community setting. When you factor everything in - they are on par with one another. I go to rochester a lot so I'd rather be in Skaneateles quite frankly. Rochester has "more to it" than Syracuse. Perhaps consider a position at RIT?

Now you mention the economy. It's horrible out here. It's horrible. There are no jobs unless you work in healthcare in which case, you are going to be working at hospitals which do not rank very highly. I suggest you USNews them. The job market overall though - struggles greatly. And then there's that whole

Exodus - drive around this time of year and you see for sale signs everywhere. That's because kids are graduating high school. I've met so many people who have left the area after their kids have left because they just want "out" of CNY.

SU - as an employer, I know two professors casually. It does not have a great reputation with the exception of the Maxwell School. Beyond that you are going to a big box school so unless that job is going to be paying serious cash, I'd recommend not taking the job. Keep in mind, once you are here and employed at SU - if it's in academia - you are here forever. Syracuse and the surrounding community are not some place I'd want to be "forever".

Now - I met a couple recently in Skaneateles who were overhauling their house. I met them at this bar and we just started chatting. I got their whole life story. Anyway - they moved out here and decided to make Skaneateles their "home base". It was a cheap home - they renovated it - and they plan on traveling extensively. For that lifestyle, sure Skaneateles sounds like a good option. The airport is kinda far but it's very easy to get in and out of on a daily basis. Trust me - I'm there enough. But you are landlocked. It's not a hub so everywhere fun takes 2 trips.

Back to healthcare - if hospitals are of interest to you - stay away from CNY. I suggest doing some research on them because you'll quickly learn how they stack up against hospitals on the east coast. I have a friend whose son is a congenital health issue and he has to drive to Rochester's children hospital because the programs are better there. Syracuse hospitals are fine for "certain" conditions but for the most part - eh!

On to the winters. It snows a lot here but that's not the issue. It's the lake effect weather patterns and how they impact days of sunshine. Check out the weather reports. It's very overcast during the winter. And it's really tough on your psyche. I've met too many people who became alcoholics locating to this area because they lived somewhere else. I visited Denver a lot and what a difference. You don't realize how much you miss the sun until you go to a place that gets a lot of it. Just looking out the window now and there's just this thin white film over the sky. The blue isn't as crisp.

Westhill and Marcellus might have something to say about that. As well as West Genesee. F-M is ranked higher, but when looking at say Westhill, the college readiness percentages are about the same and the grad rates are as well. F-M is just bigger and likely offers some more programs because of it. Even in terms of the eastern suburbs, J-D is right up there. So is Cazenovia. It doesn't make sense to consider RIT, when it isn't an option.

There are also jobs in in higher education and with select companies depending upon what a person matches up with and how they "network".

You may see for sale signs up, but within days, they may also have sold signs on them as well and this includes select parts of the city of Syracuse.

Syracuse University also has arguably the best Communications school in the country in the Newhouse School of Communications. It also has a very good Library Science program. It also has a highly regarded Architecture program and the Whitman School of Management has been highly ranked/regarded in recent years as well. It is also known to be a very Veteran friendly institution. SUNY-Environmental Science and Forestry(ESF) is one of the best programs of its kind in the country.

US Air may be the only airline that is a hub in Syracuse.

Healthcare will depend on the need and hospital.

Heroin is pretty much an issue everywhere in terms of hitting the suburbs and rural areas. KY likely has a bigger issue with meth as well, in comparison.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-25-2017 at 07:28 AM..

Old 04-25-2017, 09:26 AM

46 posts, read 50,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unbiasedviews View Post

This is a pretty damning post - and one that should probably be taken with a grain of salt. I am always suspect of people who ONLY find negatives in situations.

From the research my wife I have done, it does seem like Rochester seems to be heading in better direction at a quicker pace than Syracuse though, but that does not mean you cannot be happy in the Syracuse area.

Old 04-25-2017, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmacNY View Post
This is a pretty damning post - and one that should probably be taken with a grain of salt. I am always suspect of people who ONLY find negatives in situations.

From the research my wife I have done, it does seem like Rochester seems to be heading in better direction at a quicker pace than Syracuse though, but that does not mean you cannot be happy in the Syracuse area.
What people may not know is that average annual pay for both areas is roughly the same in recent years. Some years, Syracuse was/is higher and some years Rochester was/is higher. http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...g-markets.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/bizjourna...e=4&cbJumpTo=1

https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-york...y_syracuse.pdf

https://www.bls.gov/regions/new-york...chester_ny.pdf

Some Skaneateles info: Skaneateles Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

You can also get information by census division on the map.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-25-2017 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area