Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Syracuse, New York area future, immigration, refugees settling, New York state to lower property taxes, high paying jobs, create better national image, become the next Austin, Texas

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:29 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,428,585 times

Advertisements

I’ve noticed a trend. Maybe I’m way off base, but until I’m proven wrong… I’m sticking with it. The people who absolutely hate Syracuse and move away and never want to return are for the most part all from the City of Syracuse, a run-down village like East Syracuse or a rural “hick” town. Sorry if that offends anyone.

I’d say the majority of people who move away who are from suburban communities like the Town of Clay, Cicero, Lysander, Camillus, Manlius etc. may like the weather or the economy or the excitement of their new city, but deep down miss their old hometown... in the Syracuse area.

Ok here’s my theory... As soon as most Syracuse haters who live in the City of Syracuse and places like East Syracuse move down south or out west, that’s the point at which the huge out-migration will slow down provided there are enough jobs in the area. I can totally understand someone not liking Syracuse if their only experience of the area is just living in old, run-down, depressing neighborhoods. That’s why the sooner there are less middle class, upper middle children growing up in such a depressing environment, the sooner the next generation will start liking the Syracuse area enough to want to stick around after they graduate college.

Meaning that as time goes by and there are more newer, attractive suburban neighborhoods for kids in the area to grow up in, the less people will bash the area, the less people will want to flee the area.

Now the tricky part. What to do with the old, run-down neighborhoods in the city. My answer is this…settle more refugees in the city. The Rochester area attracts or settles over 2,000 international immigrants to their city annually. The Syracuse area only attracts or settles half that amount…about 1,000. If Syracuse could settle 3,000 or more refugees every year, that could help fill up city neighborhoods and prevent blight from spreading even further.

The key to all this is more jobs. If there are not enough jobs for young people, they will continue to leave no matter if they like living here or not. In addition, Syracuse can not settle more refugees without providing jobs for them in the area.

So this theory doesn't really change anything, the Syracuse area still needs more jobs, lower property taxes and a better national image. But I do think it gives us hope that all is not lost if the city continues to empty out. I still stand by my other theory that the only way that the City of Syracuse can become like a say...Madison, Wisconsin is for it to boom like an...ah ah... Madison, Wis!

As I've said before, the only cities that are truly revitalized are the ones that are located in a booming region. Even with a dying city center, the Syracuse area has a major advantage over places like Youngstown, Flint or some other dying cities....the Syracuse area is located in the center of a beautiful region...with dozens of lakes, skiing, hills, mountains, forests, and farmland. And since the Syracuse metropolitan area is by far the largest urban center between Albany and Rochester, the Syracuse suburbs will continue to attract many people who wish to live a safe, nice suburban area with excellent schools close to all that Upstate NY has to offer in the way of natural beauty and an inexpensive centralized location in the Northeast US.

Now just get New York State to lower our property taxes, attract a few thousand high paying jobs and work on creating a better national image of the area...and we'll be set to become the next Austin, TX.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:41 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
With all of that, I think Syracuse might be transforming into a college town. Considering all of the property that sU either owns, leases, is about to buy or is involved in, they might be the catalyst for growth here in the region. At least we know they aren't going anywhere.

With Madison, it is the state capital of Wisconsin and has the University of Wisconsin's main campus. So, the majority of their growth is from government or education. I think that is also a reason why the Capital Region here is at least staying or growing in some of their counties. Same could be said to a lesser degree with the Twin Cities area of Minnesota, the Lansing area of Michigan, the Columbus, Ohio area and so on.

Why not build off of SU? Why not encourage a research park on or near campus, with a high tech and energy focuses, among other things?

Why not start a local public works initiative within the city where those looking for or need jobs can work in helping to build up infrastructure within the city of Syracuse and the surrounding area? That's why I think the re-opening of Central Tech is important and it gives options to kids that might not be able to go to college or just do not want to.

Why not go back to precincts, which also has more of a focus on community policing. That's so the neighborhoods can get to know who is working in their neighoborhoods and can form a relationship with those in the community.

I think these are things that are proactive and tangible for the community, if they are willing to vizualize these things for the community.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:03 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
There is a research entity being built off Erie Blvd near the Armory down the hill from SU being built right now. It's not a park area in that it's restricted as to size within the downtown limits but is as you describe a catalyst.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:00 PM

Yes, I did forget about the Center of Excellence, which is in the spot of the old Midtown Plaza. There actually was a location on South Campus that was to be a research park and was funded supposedly by the state, but it is still and empty space. Not sure what they are going to do with that space either.

Syracuse Center of Excellence - Syracuse Center of Excellence

Old 09-18-2008, 07:52 PM

92 posts, read 298,511 times
Default I can prove you wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
I’ve noticed a trend. Maybe I’m way off base, but until I’m proven wrong… I’m sticking with it. The people who absolutely hate Syracuse and move away and never want to return are for the most part all from the City of Syracuse, a run-down village like East Syracuse or a rural “hick” town. Sorry if that offends anyone.

I’d say the majority of people who move away who are from suburban communities like the Town of Clay, Cicero, Lysander, Camillus, Manlius etc. may like the weather or the economy or the excitement of their new city, but deep down miss their old hometown... in the Syracuse area.

Ok here’s my theory... As soon as most Syracuse haters who live in the City of Syracuse and places like East Syracuse move down south or out west, that’s the point at which the huge out-migration will slow down provided there are enough jobs in the area. I can totally understand someone not liking Syracuse if their only experience of the area is just living in old, run-down, depressing neighborhoods. That’s why the sooner there are less middle class, upper middle children growing up in such a depressing environment, the sooner the next generation will start liking the Syracuse area enough to want to stick around after they graduate college.

Meaning that as time goes by and there are more newer, attractive suburban neighborhoods for kids in the area to grow up in, the less people will bash the area, the less people will want to flee the area.

Now the tricky part. What to do with the old, run-down neighborhoods in the city. My answer is this…settle more refugees in the city. The Rochester area attracts or settles over 2,000 international immigrants to their city annually. The Syracuse area only attracts or settles half that amount…about 1,000. If Syracuse could settle 3,000 or more refugees every year, that could help fill up city neighborhoods and prevent blight from spreading even further.

The key to all this is more jobs. If there are not enough jobs for young people, they will continue to leave no matter if they like living here or not. In addition, Syracuse can not settle more refugees without providing jobs for them in the area.

So this theory doesn't really change anything, the Syracuse area still needs more jobs, lower property taxes and a better national image. But I do think it gives us hope that all is not lost if the city continues to empty out. I still stand by my other theory that the only way that the City of Syracuse can become like a say...Madison, Wisconsin is for it to boom like an...ah ah... Madison, Wis!

As I've said before, the only cities that are truly revitalized are the ones that are located in a booming region. Even with a dying city center, the Syracuse area has a major advantage over places like Youngstown, Flint or some other dying cities....the Syracuse area is located in the center of a beautiful region...with dozens of lakes, skiing, hills, mountains, forests, and farmland. And since the Syracuse metropolitan area is by far the largest urban center between Albany and Rochester, the Syracuse suburbs will continue to attract many people who wish to live a safe, nice suburban area with excellent schools close to all that Upstate NY has to offer in the way of natural beauty and an inexpensive centralized location in the Northeast US.

Now just get New York State to lower our property taxes, attract a few thousand high paying jobs and work on creating a better national image of the area...and we'll be set to become the next Austin, TX.

Your theory is all wrong. Bellafinzi, I have a question for you about the poor people of the City of Syracuse and East Syracuse or the rural hick towns you talk about. Do you think that they even ever think about moving from Upstate NY to a better state to improve their lives? I would say unless they are offered a better job then no, they never even talk about it, at least not seriously.

The reason the South is doing so well is because the best of the best are moving from the North. The reason the North is getting worse is that you are losing all the "good" people. Your theory should be: The best and smarter people move away and the worst stay behind so more and more people will "bash the area" and more people will want to flee.

As for the people that moved to the South from the better parts of Syracuse. I think if they moved just for a job and no other reason they might have a reason to miss their old hometown. But if they really do the research on Upstate NY and understand why people are moving away. I think that the little things that someone might miss about Syracuse will soon be forgotten about.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:23 PM

3,513 posts, read 9,428,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deno088 View Post
Your theory is all wrong. Bellafinzi, I have a question for you about the poor people of the City of Syracuse and East Syracuse or the rural hick towns you talk about. Do you think that they even ever think about moving from Upstate NY to a better state to improve their lives? I would say unless they are offered a better job then no, they never even talk about it, at least not seriously.

The reason the South is doing so well is because the best of the best are moving from the North. The reason the North is getting worse is that you are losing all the "good" people. Your theory should be: The best and smarter people move away and the worst stay behind so more and more people will "bash the area" and more people will want to flee.

Finally, someone who understands what is truly going on! Thanks for you're comments. I think you're spot on! Now I know why I'm so misunderstand here. Most people (many in leadership positions) that would understand my logic about how to improve the area, have moved away. I've always thought that people here never understand what I was trying to convey because I was never able to explain it to them correctly....since I'm not very good at translating my thoughts into clearly written sentences.

Often times I find it difficult to watch the local news in Syracuse because it seems people do everything or approach everything backwards from the way I'd do them. Austin, TX makes sense. Charlotte, NY makes sense. Des Monies, IA makes sense. I understand why these cities are the way they are and how to become like them. The problem is that Syracuse civic leaders and most of the population locally does not want to learn from other successful cities. They seem much happier with a glorified cowtown than with aiming toward a world class modern, attractive, sophisticated city. I believe in aiming high and if you fall short, at least your a better city for trying. Most in Syracuse seem hell bent on keeping everything the same...but with more jobs, lower taxes and a revitalized city/downtown. I 'd like to see much more from this area than that. I'd like a total mentality change/shift, a real skyline, bigger, better suburbs with light rail, walking trails, and a good dose of new urbanism development. Ideally, I'd like to see the Syracuse metropolitan area over one million in population in the next 20 years.

You "good" people originally from the Syracuse area need to speak up more about your hometown. Syracuse civic leadership is taking most of their advice from environmentalists, people with agendas to save farmland, the elderly who are afraid of change and from people who move here to get away from successful cities and do not want the Syracuse area to grow much at all since they are fearful it could turn into what they moved here to get away from.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:40 PM

Default That is true.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by deno088 View Post

As for the people that moved to the South from the better parts of Syracuse. I think if they moved just for a job and no other reason they might have a reason to miss their old hometown. But if they really do the research on Upstate NY and understand why people are moving away. I think that the little things that someone might miss about Syracuse will soon be forgotten about.
For instance, my sister is a school teacher in the Charlotte area, where a lot of people from CNY move to and my brother is a police officer in Norfolk, VA. He's constantly trying to get me to move down there with him. Even my mother, who is originally from the Pee Dee region of SC(think South of the Border and Myrtle Beach), has been talking to my dad about "going back home". This is after living in the Syracuse area for about 45 years of her life.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:25 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,497 times
Quote:

!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-20-2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: fix quote

Old 09-20-2008, 09:40 AM

862 posts, read 1,051,497 times
Quote:

First, I love and respect the job you do here, bellafinzi.
I come from the Geddes street area and my family was one of those devestated by the GE fiasco.
No one hates SYR , working class folks express their dissapointment
differently than middle class ones, that "hate" is usually the expression of
broken-hearted love from people who have no other way of saying it-often not even to themselves.
I left SYR in early 70's and miss it every day but am one of the few
from my Geddes-Fitch St area who lucked out enough to get an education.
BTW at the U of Wisconsin-Madison which although it's a favorite of
people from Manlius etc-to a working class kid can't hold a candle to the Salt City!

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-20-2008 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: fixed quote

Old 09-21-2008, 06:05 PM

34 posts, read 97,882 times
I would have to disagree with anyone who says it would be a good idea to move south right now. I live in North Carolina currently, and the unemployment rate just keeps getting higher and higher and higher. In the county where I live, it was at 8.6 for August, and more jobs have been lost since.

I know a few Northerners/Yankees who moved down here during a boom 10 or so years ago, and now are wondering if they should go back north. There are so few jobs here, and the jobs that are available don't pay what you'd call a living wage. From what I've seen myself, and from friends in NC, wages are typically quite a lot lower than the national average.

And Charlotte, NC not too long ago was voted one of the top 10 most boring cities in the country.

My husband is from Western NC, I'm from Southern Ontario Toronto area. My family is all up there, and for immigration reasons we can't right now move to Canada. We're looking up around Western and Central NY, so I'll be closer to family and friends, and hopefully some jobs. This thread is not very inspiring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area