Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 01:03 PM

623 posts, read 1,817,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcocofarmgirl View Post
thankyou pf sorry abt that just frustrating i think i have found something that we like its on 7 north it seems like an okay area if all goes well i will be moving a ttthe end of feburary

where on 7th north? Towards the liverpool side or city side?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 01:52 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
First of all, I will say that you live in probably one of the roughest parts of the city of Syracuse. Second, there are plenty of nicer neighborhoods in the city of Syracuse and don't let others make you think that the whole city of Syracuse is bad. Third, do you want to live in a nice neighborhood regardless if it is in the city or the suburbs? If you want to stay in the city, I suggest somewhere like Eastwood, the Valley south of Seneca Turnpike, the East side, Tipperary Hill or the North side around Grant Boulevard, among others.

There is a program for people that qualify for houses outside of the city. I believe it is something called the Onondaga County Housing Development Fund(?). You can check that out and they usually have commericials on channel 14, if you have Time Warner Cable I think.

This might be what the program offers:http://www.dhcr.state.ny.us/Funding/Awards/UnifiedFunding/2008Applications/20083006/20083006-ACSS-Attachment%20Attach%201%20Administrative%20Plan%20-%202008%20Attachment%20A%20-%20Admin%20Plan.doc-2008.pdf (broken link)

Here's the address too:ONONDAGA COUNTY HOUSING DEVELOPMENT FUND COMPANY - SYRACUSE, NY 13202 - 1100 CIVIC CENTER - NonProfit/Tax Exempt Organization

As for suburbs, if you want affordable, try places like Solvay, East Syracuse, the Galeville area of Liverpool, Mattydale, North Syracuse, the Pitcher hill area, which is in both the Liverpool and North Syracuse School Districts, maybe the Seneca Knolls area of the Baldwinsville School District, as well as the village of Baldwinsville and parts of Fairmount. Nedrow is another affordable area. Westvale might have some affordable houses too and is in the Westhill School District. If you question about that district, I will let you know as I went to school there and my parents still live in the district and we're Black too, if that matters.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:06 PM

8 posts, read 16,620 times
thanks so much for your help but that web add is for something else is their any way i could get some help i try to tell my fiance that the neighborhood sucks but he constantly says well he isnt worried about the people but its just not safe

Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 PM

This is the website for the program:Onondaga County Community Development Division

I saw the commercial this morning on Channel 3 and thought about this post.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 PM

Here are some houses for sale too:Onondaga County Community Development Division

Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 AM

9 posts, read 26,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilcocofarmgirl View Post
You know in this world its so discouraging to meet judgemental people i have run into so many racists in this place its a shame in brooklyn we have almost never had that problem get over your selves okay its 2009 !!!!! iam SO SICK OF THIS COPS POLICE -PIGS
BLACK -POOR-IDIOTS RIGHT ??????????
WRONG I AM BLACK AND PROUD AND I WILL KEEP SEARCHING UNTIL I FIND THAT PLACE THAT I WANT AND WHEN I DO FOOEY TO YOU THATS WHY I LOVE ANIMALS I ESPECIALLY MY CANE CORSO BEAR HE LOVES ME UNCONDITIONALLY!!!!!!
This is utter non-sense! I can't believe anyone is even offering you advice with this filthy rhetoric. "Poor black idiots", calling cops "pigs" -then you plead for help, that's absurd!!!

On second thought, since it's the holiday season and I'm in a giving mood, I'll give you some EXCELLENT advice:

1. Lose the victimized attitude that you "NEED HELP" to get get out of where you are. The only person that can help you is YOU. Asking for advice and professional referrals is absolutely a main purpose of networking/message boards, but to do so after your unfortunate approach is way off base.

2. A large part of an adult's responsibility is hard work and planning. Did you even remotely research the south side before moving there? Did you remotely have plan, in terms of school, environment for your kids?

3. Both here and in the world, the "you against the world attitude" is NOT an effective way of communicating with people. The type of outbursts that you've exhibited here are not only counterproductive but are also reflective of an individual who accepts ZERO accountability for their actions.

WORK HARD, PLAN AND MAKE YOUR #1 CONCERN YOU AND YOUR FAMILY.

Happy Holidays!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:36 AM

406 posts, read 1,451,298 times
I was just telling my SO this morning how proud I was of this forum , in that the OP was obviously having a bad day, posted some attitude and was instantly helped by our outstanding members. Then this yutz (Phuel9) posts this nasty crap after the fact. Phuel9, if you have nothing constructive to add then I suggest you take your vitrol some place else, try the Long Island forum where most folks seem to have an attitude problem.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:18 AM

9 posts, read 26,594 times
Nothing I posted was nasty, whatsoever, Actually, what I said was extremely constructive! Let me phrase it a little easier for you: Word hard, accept responsibility and value family.

This is exactly the advice that someone in their situation needs -not coddling and band-aids that will essentially offer a temporary, short-term solution. If the OP is serious about making changes, simply changing their address is extremely short-sighted. There needs to be fundamental, inner change that needs to happen first

Boomvang, I bet if you re-read what I posted (maybe a little slower the 2nd time, too), you probably could have done a better job of inferring the meaning of my original post (as outlined in this one). Do you understand now?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:24 AM

406 posts, read 1,451,298 times
I suppose I reacted the way I did because the OP realized their attitude was poor and apologized for it. Why you feel the need to berate a stranger is beyond me.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:17 PM

8 posts, read 16,620 times
i did i apologize i am very sorry omg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area