Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2009, 09:03 PM

3 posts, read 11,911 times

Advertisements

Hi

I have lived in Cicero all my life and now I want to live in the city.
I was told by everyone to keep my white a$% away from the South and most of the West side, however, I heard recently the North side is getting rough too.
Does anyone know what nice areas in the south, west, or north side where I could live that is relatively safe and clean?
Any advice would be appreciated.
-Thanks in advance

Last edited by havasamadams; 01-30-2009 at 09:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
I'm a bit confused... why are you asking if it's safe to live in places you've already been told are frequently not safe? There's not much of a price difference to live in Eastwood as opposed to the near North side - I'd choose there if you want to be in "the city." But really, with how short commutes are in this area, I don't know what you're missing by living in Cicero. You'd have to live in a loft/condo in Armory Square (or another more active neighborhood) to get that "city" experience. And even then... well, it's not as if there are grocery stores, wide open parks (or any kind of grass), and a rail system anyway. *I* would think it was pretty inconvenient.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:09 AM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
As for the South side of Syracuse, try the Strathmore neighborhood. There was a nice article about the neighborhood watch there in the paper a couple days ago.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:32 AM

357 posts, read 968,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proulxfamily View Post
I'm a bit confused... why are you asking if it's safe to live in places you've already been told are frequently not safe? There's not much of a price difference to live in Eastwood as opposed to the near North side - I'd choose there if you want to be in "the city." But really, with how short commutes are in this area, I don't know what you're missing by living in Cicero. You'd have to live in a loft/condo in Armory Square (or another more active neighborhood) to get that "city" experience. And even then... well, it's not as if there are grocery stores, wide open parks (or any kind of grass), and a rail system anyway. *I* would think it was pretty inconvenient.
I find it funny on this forum how so many people are suburbanites and cannot even fathom how their might be people who actually like city life. I personally like city life and would choose that over cookie cutter homes, cookie cutter families and strip malls in the suburbs any day. Also there are plenty of GREAT parks and green grass in the city. And believe it or not there are actually grocery stores in the city as well. But like you said, the commutes are pretty short in this area so it can be reversed as well in saying that it's easy to get to Dewitt for shopping, which is what I used to do all the time.

I know people who live in the Strathmore area, Valley, SU Hill, Meadowbrook area, Armory Square, and a couple other areas. All of them seem to like the area they live in. They chose the area they live in for different reasons.

The best advise I can give you would be to figure out exactly what it is you want in order to figure out the area that interests you most. Some people want to be able to bike to work in the summer so they choose to live close to SU Hill. Some people really like the new lofts in dowtown so they choose that. Others really like the grand old homes in different parts of the city and want to fix them up. Some people are young and hip and don't want to live near families and kids at all, while still others want to live amounst families.

I had a home that was built before WWII and had beautiful hard wood floors and stained glass in some of the windows. It was gorgeous. Plus I had great neighbors. We had block parties and our kids all played together. Lastly, just to clear up a misconception, there are a lot of white people living in the city. Yes, the city is more diverse than the suburbs but diversity includes white people.

So just figure out what it is you want and then it will be easier to determine which part of the city would suit you best.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:19 PM

2,440 posts, read 5,760,139 times
Becky- I was referring to downtown Syracuse itself. I am well aware of all the beautiful city parks there are... I was married in the gazebo at Upper Onondaga Park.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:45 PM

Well I figured that every section had a "nice" section. It's just hard to believe that the entire South, West, and North side of Syracuse is unsafe to live in. It is not the commute, it's the atmosphere. BORING

Old 01-31-2009, 01:59 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,580,317 times
Also I'd like to point out that there really isn't any magical "city border" on the west side of Syracuse. The Westvale area is pretty much next door Tipperary Hill, via Salisbury Road, past the cemetery. A whole neighborhood of possibilities there if you want a suburban lifestyle that's closer to the city than where you are now. Not "city living" but not far from it.

Last edited by Jeromeville; 01-31-2009 at 02:07 PM..

Old 02-02-2009, 02:15 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasamadams View Post
Well I figured that every section had a "nice" section. It's just hard to believe that the entire South, West, and North side of Syracuse is unsafe to live in. It is not the commute, it's the atmosphere. BORING
All parts of those sides of town aren't bad. On the South side, anything south of Seneca Turnpike is still really nice. You also have some nice houses in the Valley up to about Ballantyne Rd and even behind Valley Plaza. Strathmore is fine too.

On the West side, try Tipp Hill or what the city calls the Far Westside. There are some nice houses behind Automobile Row on West Genesee St. too on Park Ave, by the Polish enclave there.

On the Northside, try houses north of Grant Boulevard, Sedgwick, Lincoln Hill and around the East side of Schiller Park.

Most of the East side is still nice, except for the area around Rolling Green Estates and some of the hit or miss parts of the Near Eastside neighborhood.

Eastwood is still generally fine too. I think it is better south of James, eventhough there are some nice houses north of James either west of where Grant Boulevard ends at James and East of Midler.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 AM

I see, thank you for your help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Syracuse area