Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 01:13 PM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times

Advertisements

The rumors around the release of iPad 3 seem to be getting louder. I'm content leaving the new version to the techies, but I'm in the market for an iPad 2. For those who follow Apple, how are they likely to react when the new version is finally released?

Will they discount remaining inventories of iPad 2's? Will they pull the inventory and destroy it? Will they continue to sell @ current pricing until gone?

I was about ready to save some cash and purchase a refurb iPad 2, but not sure that's a smart move if the new release is imminent. Do you think they'll continue to offer the refurbed 2's for awhile?

Anybody know their history on previous releases? Any guesses? Thanks for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 02:10 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
With phones, instead of creating multiple versions (apart from memory size) of the same product at different price points, Apple has started keeping older models and lowering the price. You can now buy and iPhone 3S, 4 or 4S.

This strategy has improved market share and they may start doing it with iPads as well. The advantage is that they can capture part of the lower-end market without cannibalizing the high-end. If they could bring the iPad 2 closer to the Kindle Fire in price, almost no one would buy a Fire. The technology and functionality isn't comparable.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:17 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,126,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
For those who follow Apple, how are they likely to react when the new version is finally released?

Will they discount remaining inventories of iPad 2's? Will they pull the inventory and destroy it? Will they continue to sell @ current pricing until gone?

I was about ready to save some cash and purchase a refurb iPad 2, but not sure that's a smart move if the new release is imminent. Do you think they'll continue to offer the refurbed 2's for awhile?.
Apple usually stops filling orders for a product a few weeks before the next version of that product is announced. By the time the new ones go on sale, the old ones will likely be cleared out of the pipeline.

Following the practices they've used in the past, refurbs of the older model will be discounted more, but it won't be a dramatic price drop. The supply of refurbs come from warranty replacements. The warranty period is a year, so there logically will be refurbs of the old model offered for about a year after the old model is released.

If you're hoping refurb iPad2s to go on sale for $99 or even $199 after the next model comes out, I'm afraid that won't happen.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:56 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,205,915 times
Agree with Bo.

Apple usually keeps the price or a newer version equal to the older version, even for computers. For example, the iPad 3 will probably cost the same as an iPad 2. An iMac G5 cost around $1,100 years ago, which is about the same price for an iMac today.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:35 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,830,524 times
Thanks for the comments and insight. I'm bargain shopping and in no big hurry. As long as the refurbs remain available for awhile after the 3's roll out, I'm probably okay. I think I'll hang on a little while to see what happens. Thanks again.

Old 02-06-2012, 08:12 AM

43,315 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Thanks for the comments and insight. I'm bargain shopping and in no big hurry. As long as the refurbs remain available for awhile after the 3's roll out, I'm probably okay. I think I'll hang on a little while to see what happens. Thanks again.
I predict you will see iPad2 refurbs into the foreseeable future.

Right now, you still can buy the original iPad refurb at Apple's online store.
32gb wifi only or 16gb wifi/3G for $399.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets