Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2012, 07:12 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times

Advertisements

I am a teacher and, currently, I record my lessons using an ELMO and Camtasia. It's okay, but after looking at the Samsung Galaxy Note, I thought I might try to find something that would be more professional.

Here's what I want it to do:

Be penable and able to turn off the touch screen so that I can rest my hand on the tablet while I write.

Easily convert writing to text.

Screen and voice record.

Be editable.

Be able to insert images and video into the videos I make.

I don't think the Galaxy will do that. I was on Microsoft's site looking at the Surface and tried to figure out whether I could do this. Being that I only know minimal amounts of information about technology, I really do not where or how to look for what I need.

I am hoping that those of you with more knowledge than me can point me in the right direction.

Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Well the Note and other Android tablets can do most of that as can the iPads.
Except for disabling the touch screen. I've never seen a tablet with that ability. And if you could disable the touchscreen it wouldn't take input from a stylus either.
Guessing you are left handed?
There are a dozen apps for Android that convert handwriting to text. I am sure Apple has some, too.
Both also have apps for "Voice Note Taking".
Both also have Video Editors already on them and others you can download from the market.
Not sure what you mean by "Be Editable".

You can also wait til January and get the Microsoft Surface Pro which is a true PC tablet and will run any and all Windows software. I am waiting to read some reviews of that before I recommend that to anyone.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Well the Note and other Android tablets can do most of that as can the iPads.
Except for disabling the touch screen. I've never seen a tablet with that ability. And if you could disable the touchscreen it wouldn't take input from a stylus either.
Guessing you are left handed?
There are a dozen apps for Android that convert handwriting to text. I am sure Apple has some, too.
Both also have apps for "Voice Note Taking".
Both also have Video Editors already on them and others you can download from the market.
Not sure what you mean by "Be Editable".

You can also wait til January and get the Microsoft Surface Pro which is a true PC tablet and will run any and all Windows software. I am waiting to read some reviews of that before I recommend that to anyone.
I watched a tutorial that showed how to disable the touch screen and still use the pen on the S Note. I saw and used the app that converts handwriting to text on the S Note and it was pretty good.

The problem was that it would screen record and voice record, but not one app to do both and could not figure out how to sync them on the S Note.

By "editable", I mean I want to edit the videos after I make them.

I also need to compile it into a viewing platform like windows media.

Microsoft Surface Pro sounds promising. I'll check that out.

Old 12-14-2012, 07:22 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I watched a tutorial that showed how to disable the touch screen and still use the pen on the S Note. I saw and used the app that converts handwriting to text on the S Note and it was pretty good.
Nice. Did not know that.
AFAIK that's a Samsung add on for that tab. DOn't think others can do that. Yet.

Quote:
The problem was that it would screen record and voice record, but not one app to do both and could not figure out how to sync them on the S Note.
Yea, you probably need something more advanced then the basic Movie editor on that comes on both Apple or Android tabs. There might be something in the market/app store.

Quote:
By "editable", I mean I want to edit the videos after I make them.
They both do that.

Quote:
Microsoft Surface Pro sounds promising. I'll check that out.
The market for these things is going to explode next year. Won't be cheap at first. I think the base Surface model is $900 without the little flip cover keyboard thing. But might be your best bet. Tax write off for you, though, right?

Old 12-14-2012, 11:32 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
It’s amazing what tables can do for teachers nowadays. There are various apps on all three platforms that can do what you need in terms of recording and content creation. However, I would point out that editing video on a tablet is tedious. If you’re going to a lot of it, it might be easier to edit on a lap/desktop. In which case you might want a tablet that is compatible with your PC.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Yea, you probably need something more advanced then the basic Movie editor on that comes on both Apple or Android tabs. There might be something in the market/app store.

The market for these things is going to explode next year. Won't be cheap at first. I think the base Surface model is $900 without the little flip cover keyboard thing. But might be your best bet. Tax write off for you, though, right?
Per your suggestion, I went and looked at the Surface. They are pretty nifty and I would have purchased one except I did not like the the writing feature as well as the Samsung. I ended up ordering a Samsung 700 ATIV PC tablet and it should arrive the day after tomorrow.

As far as the write off, I think teachers are limited to $300 dollars a year. I am thinking of starting an allied education business and that would be the primary function of the tablet. So, basically, a business write off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
It’s amazing what tables can do for teachers nowadays. There are various apps on all three platforms that can do what you need in terms of recording and content creation. However, I would point out that editing video on a tablet is tedious. If you’re going to a lot of it, it might be easier to edit on a lap/desktop. In which case you might want a tablet that is compatible with your PC.
I think my purchase should solve all the problems. If not, I can return it within 30 days. I have Camtasia and it's really the best software for what I want to do...really much more comprehensive than an app.

Thanks for your input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets