U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-20-2013, 12:55 PM
 
Location: In a bubble bath with a beer!
470 posts, read 917,303 times
Reputation: 214

Advertisements

Okay, so I bought a new iPad yesterday. We currently have the original one here, which is linked to hubby's email for the App Store, iTunes, etc.

So, when we got the new one, we set it up the same way, so he would be able to access all of the apps that he has previously purchased for the new iPad.

Last night I opened up iCloud to check my emails and responded to an email. The issue I have is that when I respond, it puts a note at the bottom, something like "Sent from my iPad from 'hubby's name' and then my email address".

Is there any way in the settings to change this, so it just says "Sent from my iPad" with no other information attached?

Thanks bunches! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:40 PM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 9,056,885 times
Reputation: 3723
You can change your email signatures in Settings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:58 PM
 
Location: In a bubble bath with a beer!
470 posts, read 917,303 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
You can change your email signatures in Settings.
The problem is that at the top of the email it has:

FROM: Hubby's name (my email address)

So, I have concluded that I cannot change that, because the iPad is linked to his iTunes/App Store account. So, I created a signature with my name and contact info, so people know it is from me!

Thanks for your help!! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 02:20 PM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 9,056,885 times
Reputation: 3723
In email preferences you can change "Description" and "Full Name." Description refers to the name as it appears on your device and Full Name is what people see when they receive an email. For example I use five inboxes on my phone (for different work projects). If I didn't differentiate between Description and Name, I would never keep them straight.

Are you sharing your husband's email address, or are his preferences showing up on your account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 02:38 PM
 
Location: In a bubble bath with a beer!
470 posts, read 917,303 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
In email preferences you can change "Description" and "Full Name." Description refers to the name as it appears on your device and Full Name is what people see when they receive an email. For example I use five inboxes on my phone (for different work projects). If I didn't differentiate between Description and Name, I would never keep them straight.

Are you sharing your husband's email address, or are his preferences showing up on your account.
So, I can edit the 'Full Name' and it won't effect his account with iTunes or the App Store?

Hubby has a Gmail account. I am the one that has an iCloud account. When I send an email from iCloud on it, it shows his name as the From.

If I can indeed edit the 'full name' and it won't effect his accounts, can you tell me where/how I do that?

HUGz! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2013, 10:57 PM
 
Location: New York City
4,036 posts, read 9,056,885 times
Reputation: 3723
Let me see if I have this right:

You and your husband share the same email account. He uses it from his computer whereas you use it from your phone. I also assume that you’re using MacMail on your phone and not the Gmail App.

If all this is the case, you could not sync the account via iCloud (which is advisable if you’re sharing an account anyway). You can pick and choose what you sync via iCloud in Settings on your phone. Load the account info manually into Mail (this is very easy, especially with Gmail). If you do that, the “Name” of the account is stored locally on your phone. If you change it to your name it will have no effect when the account is accessed from other devices. All of the email you send from your phone will be coming from you.

Regarding iTunes and the App Store, all users have an “Apple ID” which is an email address (I’m not sure if it’s possible to have one that’s not an email address). Anyway, the point is that it’s really a User Name, no different from NekkidFish. Nothing you do to the settings of your email account will affect your Apple ID. They’re not connected. It’s just a way of identifying users with a unique name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2013, 01:16 AM
 
Location: In a bubble bath with a beer!
470 posts, read 917,303 times
Reputation: 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Let me see if I have this right:

You and your husband share the same email account. He uses it from his computer whereas you use it from your phone. I also assume that you’re using MacMail on your phone and not the Gmail App.
Sorry, but did you read anything I wrote above?

Hubby has a Gmail acct. that he uses on the iPad. I have a Mac account, which I use on the iPad, using iCloud.

Quote:
If all this is the case, you could not sync the account via iCloud (which is advisable if you’re sharing an account anyway). You can pick and choose what you sync via iCloud in Settings on your phone. Load the account info manually into Mail (this is very easy, especially with Gmail). If you do that, the “Name” of the account is stored locally on your phone. If you change it to your name it will have no effect when the account is accessed from other devices. All of the email you send from your phone will be coming from you.
How did a phone come into the discussion? I have a 'stoopid' phone. It only sends and received calls and texts.

Quote:
Regarding iTunes and the App Store, all users have an “Apple ID” which is an email address (I’m not sure if it’s possible to have one that’s not an email address). Anyway, the point is that it’s really a User Name, no different from NekkidFish. Nothing you do to the settings of your email account will affect your Apple ID. They’re not connected. It’s just a way of identifying users with a unique name.
Ithink you need to read what I wrote originally and my response.

HUGz! Jules
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2013, 08:45 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
11,818 posts, read 13,961,605 times
Reputation: 8055
And I think you need to be more polite to people investing their own time to help you.

And you need to stop saying "I opened up iCloud and sent an email..."
You don't "open" iCloud. It's not an app, it's more of a service. You use an app to send and receive email, and iCloud synchs it for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2013, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Reputation: 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by NekkidFish View Post
So, I can edit the 'Full Name' and it won't effect his account with iTunes or the App Store?

Hubby has a Gmail account. I am the one that has an iCloud account. When I send an email from iCloud on it, it shows his name as the From.

If I can indeed edit the 'full name' and it won't effect his accounts, can you tell me where/how I do that?

HUGz! Jules
Settings > mail,contacts, calendars >? iCloud> account> advanced. I don't know if changing the name there affects the account or not. Mine is set to use a me.com address. I assume that there is a way to edit that somewhere, but I do not know where yet.

Edit: it seems that you can log into your iCloud account on a computer. Click on mail. In the resulting page there is a gear in the upper right corner. Click that and select preferences. On one of the tabs, you can change the name. I believe that it is the same setting that can be accessed on the iPad as mentioned in my first paragraph above. Making that change probably wont affect anything except the email. i didn't change mine so i can't be 100% sure what else it may affect. I do not think it will affect the iTunes account at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2013, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
13,317 posts, read 20,368,637 times
Reputation: 7989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And I think you need to be more polite to people investing their own time to help you.

And you need to stop saying "I opened up iCloud and sent an email..."
You don't "open" iCloud. It's not an app, it's more of a service. You use an app to send and receive email, and iCloud synchs it for you.
In ios6 one of the email addresses is labeled iCloud and uses an iCloud.com or me.com address. That seems to be what she's referring to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:48 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top