Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 09:50 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times

Advertisements

I own and have gone through many tablets. The one I use daily is my iPad Pro. Too expensive for OP I’m sure.

The new iPad at $329 provides good value. The $279 10” Tab A looks good until you see the Tab S3 with its AMOLED display. But that’s $450.

I have also used Kindle Fire tablets and they’re fine too. Amazon pretty much sells them at cost. You can sideload the Google Play Store (at least I could when I did).

Personally I would start with the 10” Kindle Fire HD if you’re not sure. Right now it’s on sale for $120 but I’ve seen it as low as $99. At that price it’s not a huge expense to test out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2018, 08:36 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
The more I look at these the more I wonder why IPads cost so much more than everyone else. Yes they seem to be wonderful but reading reviews and such there are other wonderful devices as well. Not knocking them. I like my iPhone but I wouldn’t pay top dollar for the latest and greatest one of those either.

I’m going to give it another week and then make up my mind.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far.

Old 06-16-2018, 06:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
We are on our second Samsungs. Tab A 10.1 and we love them. Zero complaints.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:14 AM

The Tab A’s are getting lots of good reviews here. Any downsides?

Old 06-17-2018, 12:35 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,699,483 times
Ours came w/16GB. We would have preferred more, but that was our choice.

Old 06-17-2018, 01:06 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Prime Day is coming and I am sure the Fire tablets will go on sale. They work fine and you don't have to use apps like digital editions to read either. My first choice would be Apple top of the line everything but I can't justify that financially. Fire is fine and if I step on it I can buy another and Amazon keeps all my stuff in the cloud. Right now I have an HD8.

Old 06-17-2018, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Prime Day is coming and I am sure the Fire tablets will go on sale. They work fine and you don't have to use apps like digital editions to read either. My first choice would be Apple top of the line everything but I can't justify that financially. Fire is fine and if I step on it I can buy another and Amazon keeps all my stuff in the cloud. Right now I have an HD8.
Fire is on top of my list. The Samsung and Lenovo too. I have almost been driving myself crazy looking up review after review of every kind.

I think what I will probably do is start with the Fire HD. I have Prime already. If I like the Fire, fine. If I want to upgrade, by the end of the year the new models of everything will be coming out and I will have more of an idea of what more I would like. Also, I’ll have a little bit of $$ coming in for some work I’m doing so I’ll have a bit more to spend.

I’ll try not to step on it.

Old 06-18-2018, 05:22 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
The more I look at these the more I wonder why IPads cost so much more than everyone else. Yes they seem to be wonderful but reading reviews and such there are other wonderful devices as well. Not knocking them. I like my iPhone but I wouldn’t pay top dollar for the latest and greatest one of those either.

I’m going to give it another week and then make up my mind.

Thanks for all the great suggestions so far.
First, Apple wants to make a profit.

Second, the new iPad’s components means it costs more to make than the Samsung Tab A or Kindle Fire HD. The 2018 model has some “value engineering” (no more anti-glare laminated screen) but specs-wise it generally outperforms all other iPads except the old Air 2 and Pro models - which all sold for much more.

I’ve had my iPad Pro 10.5” since launch (a year now) and it’s been great. I paid through the nose for LTE and 512GB, and AppleCare. But I don’t expect to upgrade again for at least another year and I’m a heavy user of it. When I do I know it will still get me money back on eBay.

Old 06-18-2018, 06:05 AM

43,292 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Are you planning on support via MayDay?

Don't.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...-discontinued/

Old 06-18-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Are you planning on support via MayDay?

Don't.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...-discontinued/
I had never heard of Mayday until now. Too bad it’s going away. I have always had really good luck though with Amazon customer service. A couple of years ago a technician stayed on the line with me for around 30-40 minutes trying to upgrade an old Kindle remotely when it wasn’t automatically doing it even though I told her I was happy to buy a new one. She said she liked the challenge. Eventually she succeeded.

It gave me several more years of service before it completely died and I had to replace it. They’ve helped me with other problems as well. So I trust if I choose the Fire, I could depend upon their CS for help.

I’ve found though when it comes to most companies dealing with electronic devices, asking the Internet gives better results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets