Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:11 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan1983 View Post
It is the general oppinion by all people who actually knows what they are talking about that Tampa Bay will be spared from the oil.

Actually, that would rather increse Tampa bays reputation rather then making people say bad things about

Spared from the oil at the current "float rate". However any tropical storm/hurricane that enters the Gulf of Mexico on a northward trajectory toward say the panhandle of Florida or coastal Louisiana is going to pull the oil toward Tampa Bay and the west coast of Florida. The counter-clockwise rotation of a tropical system pulls water (storm surge) from it's south-west side.

YouTube - Gulf Coast Oil Spill: Computer Model Projected Path
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 07:51 AM

35 posts, read 77,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Wow...you can see into the future. Tell us when will the economy turn around?
Nope, just a brain and the ability to read! AND ignore the spin factor

Old 07-03-2010, 08:19 AM

2 posts, read 2,418 times
Thanks for the pros and cons thus far. I do need to explain some things about my industry. First, all I hear is how badly people need private automobiles and motorcycles in this area to commute and if that vehicle is suddenly wrecked and no longer driveable then what's their option? In most cases a person MUST find a way to repair to get back to their normal lives. That may include paying for repairs out of pocket or letting go of their $500.00-$1000.00 insurance deductibles to make this happen. I won't say that what I do is not recession proof by any means, but in the area where I live retail is down 30-40 percent many business have shut their doors while my 07-10 numbers have actually trended upwards because people are fixing up their older autos rather than buying new. I'm not at all afraid of buying a local business. The oil spill I admit is a little scary, it will be at least 10 months before I have scouted the area and found the right business for me to put an offer in. I belive that will give me plenty of time to guage the effects of the spill. I don't plan on going in to this blind or rushing any decisions.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:40 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmcm View Post
Thanks for the pros and cons thus far. I do need to explain some things about my industry. First, all I hear is how badly people need private automobiles and motorcycles in this area to commute and if that vehicle is suddenly wrecked and no longer driveable then what's their option? In most cases a person MUST find a way to repair to get back to their normal lives. That may include paying for repairs out of pocket or letting go of their $500.00-$1000.00 insurance deductibles to make this happen. I won't say that what I do is not recession proof by any means, but in the area where I live retail is down 30-40 percent many business have shut their doors while my 07-10 numbers have actually trended upwards because people are fixing up their older autos rather than buying new. I'm not at all afraid of buying a local business. The oil spill I admit is a little scary, it will be at least 10 months before I have scouted the area and found the right business for me to put an offer in. I belive that will give me plenty of time to guage the effects of the spill. I don't plan on going in to this blind or rushing any decisions.
Jmcm - the small trusted neighborhood auto repair business is alive and well and thriving all over. I am in Manatee County, and there is one near my house, he's been there for years and does very well for himself, he is always busy. These places abound, not just here but in Tampa or any other town I have lived. Rarely have I EVER seen one close for lack of business.

Good luck to you!

Old 07-03-2010, 09:54 AM

35 posts, read 77,063 times
guess my PM to you was worthless?

Old 07-03-2010, 11:40 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,202,980 times
Quote:
I just bought a condo in St Petersburg, five minutes to the beach and i am going there tomorrow to close the deal.

I am sure that in five years, the effect of the oil spill has disappered and everything will be back to normal.
Benzene is carcinogenic and can take years to degrade and disappear through what's called natural attenuation (bugs eating it) or any other active remediation such as pump and treat but still a lot of contamination. The threat is real and may have a lot consequences. I don't think many understand the extent of devastation and I don't think five years will do it at all.

Old 07-03-2010, 05:55 PM

357 posts, read 799,863 times
Quote:
It is the general oppinion by all people who actually knows what they are talking about that Tampa Bay will be spared from the oil.

Actually, that would rather increse Tampa bays reputation rather then making people say bad things about
If you look into history, you'll see that most of the people are wrong MOST of the time.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:09 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,309,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Wow...you can see into the future. Tell us when will the economy turn around?
The economy is turning around.

Stop watching glenn beck.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:34 AM

5 posts, read 14,814 times
I think the wise thing to do is to follow the FDEP Deepwater Horizon Situation Report's which are posted daily and can be accessed at the following website: Deep Water Horizon Oil | Florida DEP

Old 07-06-2010, 09:39 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,637,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
The economy is turning around.

Stop watching glenn beck.
First off I don't watch Glenn Beck and no the economy isn't turning around.

Start paying attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: